Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying or selling a Powerwall 2? A warning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my referral award survey today and submitted it with my info in it. I would like to ultimately exchange for credit. Any idea on the potential wait time required to be able to request the credit? (My understanding is that I have to wait until Tesla Energy contacts me).
VERY VERY VERY long wait... been waiting many months on my end... they have limited production capacity because it shares battery cells with the Model 3, which is a far higher priority. Next priority are the Powerwalls they sell for a profit. Lowest priority are powerWalls that they give away to us... it'll be awhile. eh?

VERY VERY VERY long wait... been waiting many months on my end... they have limited production capacity because it shares battery cells with the Model 3, which is a far higher priority. Next priority are the Powerwalls they sell for a profit. Lowest priority are powerWalls that they give away to us... it'll be awhile. eh?
I don't want to get the power wall. I want to take the Tesla credit in lieu. I've seen several people here been able to redeem their credit recently (someone mentioned redeeming 2 power walls for credit on their M3 purchase recently). So likely the ability to redeem credit is faster than actually waiting for a power wall delivery, no?

I don't want to get the power wall. I want to take the Tesla credit in lieu. I've seen several people here been able to redeem their credit recently (someone mentioned redeeming 2 power walls for credit on their M3 purchase recently). So likely the ability to redeem credit is faster than actually waiting for a power wall delivery, no?

I'm in the same boat as you! I already have a 20-kW natural gas whole-house backup generator and a 22-kW solar system on the roof (60xSunPower 360's) so I don't see a practical use for the PowerWall, other than maybe smoothing our brown outs(?) so I'd much prefer a credit to use towards my next Tesla car purchase.

One option re PW was to set it up so it tops off each day from solar generated power and uses that to charge my Model S at night (local Tesla Energy rep said this setup is doable) but since we have Net-Metering (where any excess power generated goes back to my utility and winds my meter back) it seems to be the same thing since when I pull energy at night from the grid to charge the Model S I'll just be using any credits of power I might haves pushed back to the utility. So I don't see a use for the PW in our situation. Unless there are other ways to leverage it?

Yes. Once you get the ball rolling and place your order, they can apply all of the credits before you get the final paperwork.

We are still waiting on getting other referral Powerwalls installed. ETA is between June and September.

Yes. Once you get the ball rolling and place your order, they can apply all of the credits before you get the final paperwork.

We are still waiting on getting other referral Powerwalls installed. ETA is between June and September.
Do you know how I can do that proactively? Or do I have to wait for tesla energy to contact me first? I've already filled out the referral award survey with my name, address and phone. I'd sure like to just let them know I'd prefer the credit and save them the time.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Do you know how I can do that proactively? Or do I have to wait for tesla energy to contact me first. I've already filled out the referral award survey with my name, address and phone. I'd sure like to just let them know I'd prefer the credit and save them the time.
I would like to do the same as you. I emailed Tesla energy but haven't heard back. i also left a voicemail. Odd way to run a program.

Do you know how I can do that proactively? Or do I have to wait for tesla energy to contact me first? I've already filled out the referral award survey with my name, address and phone. I'd sure like to just let them know I'd prefer the credit and save them the time.

I would like to do the same as you. I emailed Tesla energy but haven't heard back. i also left a voicemail. Odd way to run a program.

We were contacted by Tesla Energy directly and then we told them how many we wanted installed and how many we wanted credits for. They then contacted the Tesla referral program which applied the credits for us.

I have been following this thread and I just filled out the survey for the powerwall 2 referral award. I am only interested in getting the credit instead of the PW2. Let's see how long it takes for TE to reach out to me and then I'll ask them about the credit. I was hoping to be able to apply the credit towards a MS 75D I saw, but most likely the car will be gone before TE does anything.

• Informative
According to my tesla solar reply, Installation is not included with the referral award. It costs about $1,600.00 and cannot be financed... you have you pay that out of pocket.

Well, several of us have been told the Powerwall 2 awards include "up to" $1000 of installation credit as well as the $700 Backup Gateway. Are you getting the PW2 installed along with a solar system? They could be confused/uninformed about the actual referral award details.

If all of my referrals (currently 3) take delivery...I only need one more for a powerwall. Unlikely I will get one more but if I do...how many of you guys actually received the red power wall? I haven't seen any pics of it yet.

There's only one photo on Facebook of a red powerwall, but AFAIK, hasn't really been 'confirmed'. There have been no other referral red PW2s installed that we've heard of, and currently the installs are slated to begin in June through September.

I hope they don't reset the program at the end of the month (and rather simply continue).