Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying or selling a Powerwall 2? A warning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting update via Elektrek:
Tesla announces new round of referral program

“Founders Series Powerwall 2 Store energy for future use and provide backup power with this red, limited-production Powerwall 2 home battery. Wait for Powerwall to become available for installation in your area, or take a $5,000 ($7,800 CAD) credit to use towards vehicle accessories, service, or a new car. Credits are valid for 12 months from the referral delivery date.”

Glad to see the credit in lieu of installation is now official, but disappointed to see a 12-month expiration date. I am on a net-metering plan (solar roof) with my utility, and a NG 20kW backup generator, so I have no real use for a PW2 and was planning to save the credit for the refresh of Model S or the new Y, both in 2-3 years. Making it expire in about 11 months is not a friendly move.

They also write “wait for PW to become available for installation in your area OR...”

What happens if you wait and wait and wait and THEN want/need to take the $5k credit instead and a year has passed meanwhile, is the $5k credit invalid?

Interesting update via Elektrek:
Tesla announces new round of referral program

“Founders Series Powerwall 2 Store energy for future use and provide backup power with this red, limited-production Powerwall 2 home battery. Wait for Powerwall to become available for installation in your area, or take a $5,000 ($7,800 CAD) credit to use towards vehicle accessories, service, or a new car. Credits are valid for 12 months from the referral delivery date.”

Glad to see the credit in lieu of installation is now official, but disappointed to see a 12-month expiration date. I am on a net-metering plan (solar roof) with my utility, and a NG 20kW backup generator, so I have no real use for a PW2 and was planning to save the credit for the refresh of Model S or the new Y, both in 2-3 years. Making it expire in about 11 months is not a friendly move.

They also write “wait for PW to become available for installation in your area OR...”

What happens if you wait and wait and wait and THEN want/need to take the $5k credit instead and a year has passed meanwhile, is the $5k credit invalid?

I jumped the gun on this like you in another thread. The US site for the referral program does not have this language. So, basically not official.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Misleading article by Fred Lambert in Electrek about $5K credit in lieu of powerwall.
I really wonder where he gets his info from or did he just make it up, for whatever reason!

Screenshot_20180420-074810_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have also been told they are not transferable. My only variation to what you spelled out in the OP is that the 5,500 credit can not be applied towards any other Tesla Energy products. I tried it turn one of my credits in for solar and was told the credits can be used for anything Tesla EXCEPT Tesla Energy products.

Reactions: Amit519
Thanks @mongo for bringing that to my attention. Can we all "petition" Tesla to offer us, here in the US, that option for credit in lieu of PW2? I'll be first to sign the petition.
They have been giving credits in lieu of PW2. I got mine at the end of march and applied it to my Model 3. I did hear that they recently suspended that option while they review the referral program which appears to be complete given they just announced the extension and continued PW2 prize...

They have been giving credits in lieu of PW2. I got mine at the end of march and applied it to my Model 3. I did hear that they recently suspended that option while they review the referral program which appears to be complete given they just announced the extension and continued PW2 prize...
@Kbra how long did it take for you from the time you received the PW2 referral award email to the time the contacted you and you were able to get it converted to credit? I'm putting off buying my M3 reservation till they have the AWD but before the federal tax credit expires. It would be great if I could apply the credit towards the M3.
Thanks in advance. Amit

@Kbra
I meant "in writing" on the referral awards page and available from day 1, instead of jumping through hoops and waiting foreverrrrrr to hear back from Tesla. The Canadian page has it.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
We bought 2 Model 3's (took delivery end of December 2017 and March 2018) and Tesla refused to apply credit to either purchase. I spoke to Sales, Referrals program, and sent an escalation e-mail without luck.

To get the credit you had to fill out the referral prize form to get your Powerwall(s) installed, wait for Tesla Energy to call you to setup the install, and then ask for the credit. (At least that is how it has worked for the people that have gotten it.)

To get the credit you had to fill out the referral prize form to get your Powerwall(s) installed, wait for Tesla Energy to call you to setup the install, and then ask for the credit. (At least that is how it has worked for the people that have gotten it.)
How long a wait for "Tesla Energy to call you to setup the install"? Weeks? Months? Years?

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
How long a wait for "Tesla Energy to call you to setup the install"? Weeks? Months? Years?
So i havent received my PWs yet. The first one i earned was in the Phase 6 (Oct-Jan '17) round and have earned 2 more since then. I went through my local Tesla Energy sales person originally trying to sell me solar and saying im interested if we can get these credits sorted out. I had not received word of PWs being ready for install to that date (~Jan '18). After a month or two of playing chase i got one of the PWs converted to a 5,500 credit just barely in time to be used on my M3. The title of the person that made it happen for me was Inside Sales, Powerwall but he said it was all being applied through the referral program team. He was just the one pressing them to get it done. He also told me that i squeaked right in because after March they put that option on hold (at least for now) while they re-evaluated their process.

So i havent received my PWs yet. The first one i earned was in the Phase 6 (Oct-Jan '17) round and have earned 2 more since then. I went through my local Tesla Energy sales person originally trying to sell me solar and saying im interested if we can get these credits sorted out. I had not received word of PWs being ready for install to that date (~Jan '18). After a month or two of playing chase i got one of the PWs converted to a 5,500 credit just barely in time to be used on my M3. The title of the person that made it happen for me was Inside Sales, Powerwall but he said it was all being applied through the referral program team. He was just the one pressing them to get it done. He also told me that i squeaked right in because after March they put that option on hold (at least for now) while they re-evaluated their process.
Argh — why are these SO disorganized and lack transparency?! They can EASILY have an option on the app or website or reward email to select the credit and be DONE with it... they can easily show the credits you have on the app or website... they can easily make it “easy” to use the credit. A high school computer science student can program this, but they choose to make it so complicated and waste many hours of their employees’ time responding to us (or failing to respond), while frustrating their very best and most loyal customers...

Argh — why are these SO disorganized and lack transparency?! They can EASILY have an option on the app or website or reward email to select the credit and be DONE with it... they can easily show the credits you have on the app or website... they can easily make it “easy” to use the credit. A high school computer science student can program this, but they choose to make it so complicated and waste many hours of their employees’ time responding to us (or failing to respond), while frustrating their very best and most loyal customers...

Tesla already has all of this developed and working on their referral website pages. It's active in Canada (and possibly other countries), where people are getting the PW2 credits much easier than in the US.

But even in the US, the very first referral round gave owners $1000 service credit per referral, and it was totalled up right there on the Tesla Account page, and the service centers could access it directly to apply the credits to service costs, towards a new car, or even pay for the ESA, like I did.

But for some reason, they are choosing not to use it this time around in the U.S.

Tesla already has all of this developed and working on their referral website pages. It's active in Canada (and possibly other countries), where people are getting the PW2 credits much easier than in the US.

But even in the US, the very first referral round gave owners $1000 service credit per referral, and it was totalled up right there on the Tesla Account page, and the service centers could access it directly to apply the credits to service costs, towards a new car, or even pay for the ESA, like I did.

But for some reason, they are choosing not to use it this time around in the U.S.

The US may be more complicated:
Tesla referral programs draw new round of complaints from Calif. dealers.

Hi Hank @HankLloydRight,
What do you make of this?

Red Founders Series Powerwall 2 - For Sale

The OP shared an email from Tesla Referral Program Support member Brad Smith, saying that powerwall awards were transferrable. You have looked at this in detail and I wanted your opinion, before I change my reply to the PW2 referral award email and start thinking of maybe selling the award.
Thanks again
Amit
Screenshot_20180426-102246_Samsung Internet.jpg