Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying or selling a Powerwall 2? A warning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny thing - I got my 5th referral email today for another solar roof early access token (also got it for the 2nd referral as that was delivered before they changed the prizes). Amazing they go from valuable wheels at 3 to valuable powerwall at 4 to a valueless early access token for th 5th.
In earlier referral programs, the highest value prize was at 5 or 10 referrals. Many people got that number of referrals only to have a cancellation and then lose out on the prize. Now the highest level prize includes the coveted Tesla event invite (or other experiences money can't buy, once you are in the secret levels). This way, you have a buffer and can still receive the top physical prize if you have a cancellation... and maybe still get an event invite if you are lucky.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
In earlier referral programs, the highest value prize was at 5 or 10 referrals. Many people got that number of referrals only to have a cancellation and then lose out on the prize. Now the highest level prize includes the coveted Tesla event invite (or other experiences money can't buy, once you are in the secret levels). This way, you have a buffer and can still receive the top physical prize if you have a cancellation... and maybe still get an event invite if you are lucky.

For the Semi event, they started giving same-week and same-day (to people in Los Angeles) with fewer than 5 referrals.

Tip: the week before a Tesla unveiling, if you have <5 referrals, change your address to a residential address in Hawthorne or Fremont CA

• Funny
Reactions: David99
So, you could have them install the first one.
Then you remove it.
They install the second one where the first one was.
Then you remove it
They install the third one where the second one was.
Then you remove it.....
jeeez - why all the gymnastics - why not just be upfront & have the contractors daisy chaIn those 3 bad boys .... one big backup systwm. we've moved solar panel arrays /inverters from one property to another. these things actually DO run without being web interlinked. or are power walls manufactured in such a way that they require interface with the mothership? wouldn't that be kind of stupid? After all - there are things like solar activity / power outages etc that can take such systems down, & ought to be able to run independent of such things. if no, that would be an odd design.

You mean people have actually had powerwalls installed???

I won one as well as a Gigafactory opening party invite in the FIRST referral program over 2 years ago and haven't gotten a PowerWall.

All my people took delivery, we got to go to the gigafactory and got email confirmation of the prize. Never any followup to get my powerwall despite numerous inquiries on my part.

This may tickle the fabric of Ethics. But perhaps this is registered as a 2nd property??? Summer home, winter home, etc.

Not sure what you're suggesting, but if you own the home, I don't think Tesla cares if it's a second home, etc. But you have to be on the deed. You sign contracts that stipulate that you are the owner and that they can enter liens against the house, etc. While it might not apply to the PW2 install (since it's not an ongoing contract or lease like solar), Solarcity did enter two liens against my house when solar was installed.

You mean people have actually had powerwalls installed???

I won one as well as a Gigafactory opening party invite in the FIRST referral program over 2 years ago and haven't gotten a PowerWall.

All my people took delivery, we got to go to the gigafactory and got email confirmation of the prize. Never any followup to get my powerwall despite numerous inquiries on my part.

I'm in the same boat as you. I was to receive a free PowerWall as part of the original referral program (back when Tesla was on PowerWall v.1), but due to Tesla being very slow on the PowerWall production/implementation, this was supposed to be converted to a PowerWall 2 award when Tesla announced the PowerWall 2. Apparently that transition/conversion was not well organized, as I later received conflicting messages from various Tesla reps as to whether I would still qualify for a free PowerWall 2. Months went by between my periodic inquiries to various people at Tesla (perhaps due to the fact that this program appears to not actually be run by the referral folks, per Hank's comment above). After repeated email inquiries, the last contact I received from Tesla was from a month or two ago where they apologized for the delay, and said this is because Tesla was focusing on supplying energy products to Puerto Rico following the hurricanes there. I said that's fine, but that I'd appreciate periodic updates (which I don't expect to receive).

Hank, it sounds like following up with the Tesla Energy team might be a more fruitful avenue (although I have reached out to them in the past, albeit more than a year ago). Would you mind sharing the contact info for the folks there that you were dealing with over there? Feel free to send me a PM. Thank you!

I see a lot of people posting their referral award PW2s for sale.

I just want to post a warning to any of these buyers and sellers that Tesla Energy has a clear policy that these awards are NOT transferrable. Now way, no how. I've posted a lot about this in the Referral thread, but I'll summarize here.

I worked directly (for two months) with the Tesla Energy (TE) group responsible for getting these PW2 awards out and installed. I had already "sold" three of them to other TMC members (I had taken only a $1000 deposit for each). TE tried several different avenues to allow me to "transfer" these awards to these other people, and the bottom line is -- the PW2 awards can only be awarded and installed in the home that the referral award winner owns. No exceptions. This was run all the way up both Tesla legal and finance departments, and the answer was "no". (leave it to the lawyers to spoil all the fun.).

They do realize that many people do not have a house that can support a PW2 install, or are renting, and for these people (or at least for me), they have offered a $5500 "Tesla credit" for each PW2 that can be used for other products (cars, solar roof, etc).

This quote helps to explain why:

Since there are several contracts, parties, and agreements involved here, as well as tax issues (they are issuing 1099s for the PW2 awards), they can't just transfer those to someone else's house who is not the award winner. And even if they could, the award winner is going to have a 1099 for the award amount and the lawyers/finance people don't like that if someone else is getting the actual award (they shouldn't care, but they do).

And it says it very clearly in the referral contest rules "awards are not transferrable". Also, as you can see, the PW2 awards aren't just drop-shipped. They are part of the install process with many prerequisites.

Yes, the email survey you received asks for name, address, etc of where you want the award "sent", but that's just a disconnect between the referral team, and the Tesla Energy team responsible for the installation. What they really want is *your* name, address, phone number. The rubber actually hits the road when the TE group gets to your name and calls you up to schedule a site survey to begin the installation process. The will not call whoever you put down on the survey form.

Now, I know many of you don't or won't believe me, and that's OK. Or maybe you're saying "Tesla doesn't know who they're dealing with -- I'll get them to do what I want!" which I say -- good, go for it and let us know how it turns out so others can get them transferred.

Or maybe you're thinking "they can't do that -- they can't tell me what I can or can't do with the awards I've rightfully earned" -- to which I'll say, yeah, I think they can. It's right there in the rules.

Anyway, don't take it from me, some random guy on the internet with a sample size of one. I'm just sharing my experience that other people have also run into when trying to transfer the PW2 awards. Of course, YMMV.

And if you do decide to buy a PW2 award from someone, I'd suggest to all buyers: (1) only sending a deposit until the PW2 is installed, or use a trusted escrow service, (2) having some sort of short agreement saying the deposit is fully refundable, and (3) know and trust who you are dealing with.

The PW2 awards aren't like the Arachnids or other prizes that are just delivered to whoever. Tesla is taking these awards and rules very seriously. And yes, I had to refund all three deposits I had taken in and I'll likely apply my "Tesla Credits" to an AWD Model 3 next year.

Are you opting for the credit?

Reactions: X.l.r.8
I hear they only allow 30A of load per PW (to match output), so there is an advantage to having 2 or 3 installed (more of house on backed up load panel).

That's OK, I was going to do a "critical loads only" panel (which is probably over the $1000 install credit). We get power outages very infrequently, so it would just be for things like heat in the winter (gas furnace), lights, computers, cell phone charging, etc.

Reactions: mongo
In October I set up for a pair of Powerwall2 packs to go along with my solar panels which we have had for a decade. I was put on a waiting list--and just received notice yesterday that Tesla was ready proceed.

We have three Teslas in our family and two Model 3 reservations. Is there any way for us to pick up a credit on our upcoming Powerwall installation?

We don't get power failures often--but did have some during the Thomas Fire here in Santa Barbara. Fortunately we were not close enough to the fire to be in danger. But I sure wish the Powerwalls had been install so I could test them!