Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying or selling a Powerwall 2? A warning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are these selling for? Got the referral email and can’t use this with my utility. Would love to trade for FSD but I guess I’ll sell it and use the $ to buy FSD.
It depends if you're filling out the W9 or if the buyer will fill out the W9.

Buyers may want to check with local installers first too. Given that there aren't that many Tesla certified installers in my area, the quotes I've received thus far have felt like price gouging (more than double what Tesla's website says installation costs, and that's not including the cost if a panel upgrade is required). But then again, if you want a red one, this is the only way to get them.

I'm being told by Tesla that the $1k installation credit is non-transferable. Anybody here recently "gift" their Powerwall to a buyer and encounter this? I was "gifted" one last December and there weren't any issues with the $1k installation credit being transferred as well. Anybody know when the policy changed? Thanks.

it may have something to do with this change:
2020-06-12.png

It looks like they've quashed any Powerwall award sales as well.. Ugh...

Reactions: ra88it
Glad I got my “gifted” Powerwalls early this year. They delivered them to me, permitted them and the installation only cost $2k in addition to the cost of the powerwalls. I am sure Tesla follows these forums and realized what was going on...

Glad I got my “gifted” Powerwalls early this year. They delivered them to me, permitted them and the installation only cost $2k in addition to the cost of the powerwalls. I am sure Tesla follows these forums and realized what was going on...
Was that an extremely simple installation that only cost you $2k? I'm looking into installing two Powerwalls without solar, but the best pricing I've found is more than 3.5 times that in my area (although I do need a panel upgrade, but the Powerwalls are getting installed right next to the panel).

6AAA828F-D79C-4ACF-8170-782416682C94.jpeg
Was that an extremely simple installation that only cost you $2k? I'm looking into installing two Powerwalls without solar, but the best pricing I've found is more than 3.5 times that in my area (although I do need a panel upgrade, but the Powerwalls are getting installed right next to the panel).
Yes, very simple installation. In the garage right next to the panel

So your quote for installation only is $7000? That sounds like you're getting "Tesla" gouged. Find some other installers and get more quotes. Two powerwalls, a gateway, and a panel upgrade sounds like MAX of two days of work for two electricians.

I'm not sure what the hourly rate is for electricians, but two guys, working two days, 8 hours/day for $100/hour is $3200. Are they charging you $200/hour?

So your quote for installation only is $7000? That sounds like you're getting "Tesla" gouged. Find some other installers and get more quotes. Two powerwalls, a gateway, and a panel upgrade sounds like MAX of two days of work for two electricians.

I'm not sure what the hourly rate is for electricians, but two guys, working two days, 8 hours/day for $100/hour is $3200. Are they charging you $200/hour?
Agree on multiple quotes.
Parts cost may be worse than you are thinking. An electrician pull the meter panel direct swap is much lower cost than worst case:
If panel upgrade requires PoCo shutoff and reconnect. Replacing non panel/ code compliant breakers (AFCI are $40 for one 15A). Permit fees on extra work (some places have fee per circuit). A full 40 space panel could run >$2k in breakers and fees.

Agree on multiple quotes.
Parts cost may be worse than you are thinking. An electrician pull the meter panel direct swap is much lower cost than worst case:
If panel upgrade requires PoCo shutoff and reconnect. Replacing non panel/ code compliant breakers (AFCI are $40 for one 15A). Permit fees on extra work (some places have fee per circuit). A full 40 space panel could run >$2k in breakers and fees.
I already have two Founders Series Powerwall 2's sitting in my garage (along with the Backup Gateway). For the direct ship referral program, it has to be done by a Tesla certified installer. There's only a handful in Southern California willing to do the install without either me buying the Powerwalls directly through them or installing solar (I've recently replaced the windows and AC, so I'm not planning on doing solar at this time, plus I'd rather deal with the HOA on that matter down the road). I've received three quotes from Tesla certified installers ranging from $7500-9400 for installation of the two Powerwalls/Backup Gateway and the panel upgrade (including subpanel as well since I'm doing partial backup), with the cost breakdown being $5-6.9k for the Powerwall installation (including permitting fees) and the rest for the panel upgrade. I get that rates in California tend to be higher than other parts of the country, but it definitely feels like they're taking advantage of the "Tesla". If anyone in Southern California has recommendations for electricians, please send me a private message. I might end up reaching out to more electricians for quotes and seeing if they're interested in becoming Tesla certified.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I already have two Founders Series Powerwall 2's sitting in my garage (along with the Backup Gateway). For the direct ship referral program, it has to be done by a Tesla certified installer. There's only a handful in Southern California willing to do the install without either me buying the Powerwalls directly through them or installing solar (I've recently replaced the windows and AC, so I'm not planning on doing solar at this time, plus I'd rather deal with the HOA on that matter down the road). I've received three quotes from Tesla certified installers ranging from $7500-9400 for installation of the two Powerwalls/Backup Gateway and the panel upgrade (including subpanel as well since I'm doing partial backup), with the cost breakdown being $5-6.9k for the Powerwall installation (including permitting fees) and the rest for the panel upgrade. I get that rates in California tend to be higher than other parts of the country, but it definitely feels like they're taking advantage of the "Tesla". If anyone in Southern California has recommendations for electricians, please send me a private message. I might end up reaching out to more electricians for quotes and seeing if they're interested in becoming Tesla certified.

My installer is Tesla certified, they Installed both solar & powerwall give them a call for a quote see if they come out to OC, Perk Solar, 619-334-1212 Perk Solar | Solar installations residential and commercial in san diego

• Helpful
Reactions: MIT_S60
Sorry to revive an old thread... I just got a 1099-MISC from Tesla for $5100. I've got a solar roof + PW installation scheduled for later this year, but nothing has been installed yet. NO referral reward involved. Only payment sent to Tesla on this is the $100 reservation. I can't see any reason why I would ever get a 1099-MISC on this project - ever. Am I missing something?

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn