Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying P3D, what to look out for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm planning on purchasing a 2018 P3D. It has Autopilot and FSD. I have the VIN if that's helpful.

My main concern is would there be any way the warranty wouldn't be transferrable to me? And also, are there any specifics regarding AP, FSD, or anything else that would be specific to a 2018, or just things I should check in general? I'm not terribly concerned mechanically since it's still under full warranty for two more years, but any input would be much appreciated.

Also, if I'm remembering right there was an update on the P3Ds that boosted their 0-60 by 5% or so. Was that done with all years?

Thx in advance.

Reactions: SlimJim
The power boost is software, it applies to all of em.

On FSD- did they buy it when they bought the car? If so insure you get a copy of their MVPA (motor vehicle purchase agreement) that SHOWS they paid for FSD. (If not, insure you get a receipt of the purchase some other way).

Because occasionally when cars change ownership a Tesla SW audit will remove something if they're unclear it was actually paid for- and without the receipt to prove it you might be out of luck.

Warranty should transfer no issue.

Oh, and depending how early they ordered theirs- it might have free lifetime connectivity- that will also stay with the car (again if you can get a copy/proof of their ORDER date (not purchase date- so this would probably be an email from Tesla confirming the order) that'd be helpful to have.

It think it was orders prior to July 1 2018 that got free lifetime.

Note: If they have free lifetime supercharging (most 2018 P owners who got it ended up trading it back for a $5000 refund, but not everyone) note that DOES NOT transfer to new owners, so you won't get that.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
On delivery my red M3P's bumper was a different colour red to the body.
I rejected it and they took one month to re-spray or replace with a matching red one.
Make sure your windshield and windows don't fog up when its humid or damp - hot outside.

Do tell...
I'm having a lot of issues with the car windscreen and all passenger windows fogging up when its humid and warm ( tropical) I live in Hong Kong.
No issues with my MS or i3 but the M3 seems to have issues.
I'm not using recirculate and have tried everything...it fogs up badly when it rains or is damp - dumid.
The condensation moisture is on the outside, same in the day and the night.
Exterior temp is 3- degrees Celsius and I set the cabin to 20 C I even tried turning the AC on to pre cool the car.
I've tried cleaning in and out with alcohol and use de mister products to no avail.
I've complained to Tesla SC and they are aware of this ...they have had other complaints other than mine...

I have a 2018 P3D and absolutely love it. I bought mine new, but if I were to buy a used one, I would do the following:

1) I would ask the owner if the car was serviced at the local Tesla service center and ask for permission to get a copy of the service records, just to make sure you are not getting a lemon.

2) Find out if the car had window tint and/or PPF installed. If so, ask the owner what type of tint/PPF was installed and if he has any paperwork from the installer. When I had my Xpel PPF installed, they gave me a certificate from Xpel for my records and told me the 10 year warranty was transferable to a new owner when I sold the car.

3) Check the wear and tear on the tires. The performance Michelin tires on the P3D don't last as long, so make sure the price you are paying takes the state of the tires into account.

Adjust your airflow. It’s caused by cool air hitting the windshield which cools it and causes condensation. I battle this as well as I live on the Texas coast. I blame the design of that really cool looking ac vent setup for producing “cold spots” on the windshield more than most other cars. If it’s really diffused across the entire windshield it’s a battle between comfort and sight. And it’s just caused by science being science.

I'm having a lot of issues with the car windscreen and all passenger windows fogging up when its humid and warm ( tropical) I live in Hong Kong.
No issues with my MS or i3 but the M3 seems to have issues.
I'm not using recirculate and have tried everything...it fogs up badly when it rains or is damp - dumid.
The condensation moisture is on the outside, same in the day and the night.
Exterior temp is 3- degrees Celsius and I set the cabin to 20 C I even tried turning the AC on to pre cool the car.
I've tried cleaning in and out with alcohol and use de mister products to no avail.
I've complained to Tesla SC and they are aware of this ...they have had other complaints other than mine...

Last edited:
I bought my 2018 M3P+ back in March. I took it to the Tesla Service Center to have them do a full look over of the vehicle and they indicated everything looked good. A few weeks later I took my car to get a ceramic coat put on and the guys there noticed that the front bumper had been repainted, meaning that the car was in some kind of fender bender that the first owner fixed out of pocked. The car had a clean carfax, so they did not report the accident to insurance. If you can, take the car to a good detail shop so they can carefully inspect the paint for any kind of repaint or repair.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
On FSD- did they buy it when they bought the car? If so insure you get a copy of their MVPA (motor vehicle purchase agreement) that SHOWS they paid for FSD. (If not, insure you get a receipt of the purchase some other way).

18buy3.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Punjabi510
Definition of INSURE

2: to make certain especially by taking necessary measures and precautions

Getting a copy of the MVPA INSURES- that is makes certain by taking necessary measures and precautions- that you can prove FSD was paid for.

Yeah, no...

Insure vs. Ensure – Word Counter

Lots of folks use “insure,” “ensure,” and “assure” interchangeably, especially in their speech. While these words sound similar and represent similar ideas, there’s no situation in which they could mean exactly the same thing.

Luckily, once you know the difference, it’s an easy mistake to avoid.

When to use Ensure
To ensure something or someone is to guarantee something will happen. It’s a promise of a future result. You may substitute the word “guarantee” to ensure you are using this word correctly in your writing.

• I brush and floss my teeth every night to ensure my gums will stay healthy.

• A bouquet of roses will ensure that your wife knows you were thinking about her this Valentine’s Day.

• Rob ensured his online safety by changing his password.

• Regular oil changes and maintenance ensure your car will last over 200,000 miles.

• Kelly made flashcards to ensure she would make a good grade on her exam.
Notice, some of the objects of “ensure” in these sentences are a little abstract. However, they are all the future result of something in the present.

When to use Insure
To insure something or someone is to cover it with an insurance policy.

The shared “in” beginning can help you remember.

• It was hard to find someone who could insure my boat.

• In the Midwest, most homes are insured against tornados.

• It’s against the law to not insure your car.

• There was a rumor floating around that the pop star had insured her legs.

• Kevin’s current policy doesn’t insure his visits to the dentist.
Notice, if you substitute “guarantee” for “insure,” these sentences do not retain their meaning. In fact, they cease to make sense at all. Additionally, the grammatical objects of “insure” in these sentences are much simpler.

Reactions: Punjabi510
Definition of INSURE

2: to make certain especially by taking necessary measures and precautions

Getting a copy of the MVPA INSURES- that is makes certain by taking necessary measures and precautions- that you can prove FSD was paid for.

This is actually fascinating. I've looked up a few different sources for dictionaries and MW is the only one that defines "insure" that way. Every other dictionary defines "insure" to be related with insurance with monetary significance and "ensure" to the definition you provided.
In fact, even Google search tries to correct "insure definition" to "ensure definition". Fascinating.

Sources:
Definition of insure | Dictionary.com
INSURE | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
insure - Dictionary Definition
INSURE (verb) American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary
Insure definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

This is actually fascinating. I've looked up a few different sources for dictionaries and MW is the only one that defines "insure" that way. Every other dictionary defines "insure" to be related with insurance with monetary significance and "ensure" to the definition you provided.

I think your google is broken

Very first thing that comes up for me (not from MW) lists among the definitions of insure-

2. secure or protect someone against (a possible contingency).
"by appeasing Celia they might insure themselves against further misfortune"

Or in this case, one can insure against losing FSD by having a copy of the MVPA.

And plenty of other links on the first page of google support what I'm saying too-

insure verb (MAKE CERTAIN)

(also ensure)
to make something certain, or to be certain about something:
[ + (that) clause ] Because of the importance of the game, we wanted to insure (that) it would be televised.
[ T ] We had reporters check to insure the accuracy of the story

[v] make certain of
Synonyms:
assure, ensure, guarantee, secure

Insure dictionary definition | insure defined

2. to make sure or certain; guarantee; ensure: measures to insure accuracy

insure

2. To make sure, certain, or secure.

I also found a number of sources saying that while one specific style manual cites to the "financial" version of insure, the historical record shows insure and ensure (and even assure in many cases) being used interchangeably for centuries in english.

Yeah, no...

Yeah... yeah... see various links above

It's ok man- not everyone can be good at correcting people :)

• Funny
Reactions: TX_M3P+

Very first thing that comes up for me (not from MW) lists among the definitions of insure-

Or in this case, one can insure against losing FSD by having a copy of the MVPA.

And plenty of other links on the first page of google support what I'm saying too-

insure

I also found a number of sources saying that while one specific style manual cites to the "financial" version of insure, the historical record shows insure and ensure (and even assure in many cases) being used interchangeably for centuries in english.

You can argue the technicalities over the course of history as much as you want. However, in today's de facto diction world insure has a financial meaning to it. Providing MVPA documentation saying "this VIN was originally purchased with FSD" gives you service or functional guarantees for future full self-driving, but does not provide any financial reimbursement obligation or recovery if Tesla removes said FSD functionality.

This is everyday communication, not a book or movie script you're writing where you can argue such literary license.

Dude, we are just going to have to agree that you're special.

So you were trying to tell the guy to basically get an insurance policy? I don't think so. All your links for the definition of insure point to insurance.

That's not what you were trying to say, so quit trying to make sh*t up to avoid accepting that you are flat out wrong.

I can ENSURE you don't know how to use the word INSURE.

insure

Dude, we are just going to have to agree that you're special.

I appreciate it- but you're not my type :)

So you were trying to tell the guy to basically get an insurance policy? I don't think so

I don't think so either.

Since that's not the actual definition of the word I was using.

You can tell because I gave you like half a dozen links supporting the definition I DID use.

You appear to have just ignored all of them because you were sad you didn't get to tell someone their spelling was wrong.

Lockdown getting to ya buddy?

. All your links for the definition of insure point to insurance.

They actually point to multiple definitions for the word.

One of which matches my use of it in the post you're on about.

That's not what you were trying to say

I mean, it was.

You can tell because using the actual definition of the word from all the links I provided, it's exactly what I DID say.

, so quit trying to make sh*t up to avoid accepting that you are flat out wrong.

I mean- we all pick the hills we wanna die on I guess... if you wanna pick one this incredibly stupid, and already debunked by half a dozen dictionaries- you do you ;)