Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying P85 from dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done tons of research and came across a great deal on a 2014 p85. After going back and forth with cpo I decided on this one that's from a small dealer. Looks like all the service was done at tesla and very well taken care of.

I'll be driving the car about 200 miles for my first drive in the car and want to ask if I should be prepared or expect something I wouldn't from my existing gas car.

Looking forward to becoming an active member on the board and learning more.

Thanks

Nick

What are you considering a great deal? I would be doubly sure it is the model stated and has options they state it has. Most dealers have no clue what they have and either through ignorance or purposeful deception have misinformation. I recall someone posting recently that a local dealer was trying to sell a regular 85 as a P85. The pictures in the listing even showed the dash screen that only said 85. The person even pointed it out to them, but they didn't care.

Keep in mind your bumper to bumper warranty will expire in 2018. If you had gone CPO, you would have warranty until 2020. Although depending on the car's current mileage and how much you drive, your warranty may expire sooner.

Thanks for the insight. I was really trying hard to get a cpo but wasn't really happy with the staff I dealt with amongst other things. I like seeing a car before I buy it and that was almost impossible but they wanted a deposit for cars that weren't even traded in yet.

It's a legit car and the dealer is very small. The vin obviously tells you if it's a p along with other stuff. If I was buying from a big franchise store I'd be more nervous but these guys are really legit.

I'm paying 48,500 for the car and it has 60k on it. Guy that owned it traded it in at the same dealer that sold it to him since tesla can't sell direct in Ohio.

Thanks for the insight. I was really trying hard to get a cpo but wasn't really happy with the staff I dealt with amongst other things. I like seeing a car before I buy it and that was almost impossible but they wanted a deposit for cars that weren't even traded in yet.

It's a legit car and the dealer is very small. The vin obviously tells you if it's a p along with other stuff. If I was buying from a big franchise store I'd be more nervous but these guys are really legit.

I'm paying 48,500 for the car and it has 60k on it. Guy that owned it traded it in at the same dealer that sold it to him since tesla can't sell direct in Ohio.
If the previous owner bought it from that same dealer he bought it used. Tesla has never sold cars through any dealers at all, ever.

Is that what the dealer told you? It's complete BS. Tesla does sell directly in Ohio, with stores in Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus. Even in states where Tesla doesn't sell directly it never sells through dealers, rather the sales are online or in an adjacent state. So this is the dealer lie you know about. What lies don't you know about?

I'll repeat my original response. Never buy a Tesla from a dealer.

Attached some pics

Attachments

• IMG_5952.JPG
    IMG_5952.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5951.JPG
    IMG_5951.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5950.JPG
    IMG_5950.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 81
I've done tons of research and came across a great deal on a 2014 p85. After going back and forth with cpo I decided on this one that's from a small dealer. Looks like all the service was done at tesla and very well taken care of.

I'll be driving the car about 200 miles for my first drive in the car and want to ask if I should be prepared or expect something I wouldn't from my existing gas car.

Looking forward to becoming an active member on the board and learning more.

Thanks

Nick

Do yourself a HUGE favor and take it to the Villa Park service center (quick google based on your location on the forum). Tell them your situation, ask them to inspect it and tell you whatever they are able to about it (ive heard they wont give vehicle history to non-owners).

Private party can be headache enough with a car like this, now put it in the hands of a dealer and you've got a high value car that he knows nothing about. Even if you had a bad experience at Tesla, suck it up on this one and take it for an inspection test drive (including stopping at a supercharger and making sure its not blacklisted, works, etc). It's a 50k purchase, don't cheat yourself!