Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Performance Tires - Best size for 18-inch wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya gotta share the IG video :D

This on the RWD car right? How does the clearance in the inside look relative to suspension?

I've got a P3D+ which has 3mm of "extra offset" on the rotors, so it would be shifted 3mm inboard compared to what you're currently running (assuming RWD).

You guys are doing God's Work, ordering a t-shirt or two now :)

We are doing some development today, I'll snap a pic for you! We are also going to put our wheel/tire setup on that P3D+ and see just how badly it destroys our lap time :p

I bought the Michelin Pilot 4S tires on costco.com for a good price, they shipped to my Costco and arrived, and Costco called me to make an appointment. At that point they revealed that they can't install on a Tesla Model 3, he gave some reason about measurements they don't have yet but I didn't understand what he said. He said they will only install on Model S and Model X. I have to drive all the way to the Costco to process the return. Wow. I checked their configurator at costco.com and sure enough, the Model 3 doesn't appear in the dropdown list when you select 2018 and Tesla. Wow. My next step is to get quotes from Tesla Service Center (they might not install since I'm getting a wider/taller tire) and America's Tire/Discount Tire. I'll probably go with America's Tire.

Once the system start heating up the power is derated which takes some of the fun away and takes the car from a great performer to a momentum car. Still fun but I miss the power.
Heh. It's like a dance through the park compared to the S.

Going to disagree with you in degree. It stays better than a momentum car for me, but in PNW (generally cooler, rarely 90+ deg F) so YMMV w/r/t temperature.

Ya gotta share the IG video :D

This on the RWD car right? How does the clearance in the inside look relative to suspension?

I've got a P3D+ which has 3mm of "extra offset" on the rotors, so it would be shifted 3mm inboard compared to what you're currently running (assuming RWD).

You guys are doing God's Work, ordering a t-shirt or two now :)

I had a look yesterday, the tire is only a few mm from the knuckle. It looks unlikely to work without a small spacer. We will be test fitting our wheels on the P3D next weekend so I will know for sure then.

Reactions: kbecks13
I guess it depends on the Costco. I was also told that they can't install tires other than the size stated by the manufacturer. And if you have after market wheels then no way. My Costco is in San Jose, CA.

What if you just bring the rims to them and have them install the tires? I usually do this with discount/America's tires because I fear they will cross thread lug nuts/lift the car wrong. It's also much faster

What if you just bring the rims to them and have them install the tires? I usually do this with discount/America's tires because I fear they will cross thread lug nuts/lift the car wrong. It's also much faster
At the Costco in my area (Costco Van Nuys on Sepulveda in Los Angeles) it wasn't related to the tire size. They said that they don't install any tires on any Tesla Model 3 yet. They only install tires on Model S and Model X. This actually matches with their configurator online where Model 3 doesn't show up at all, but Model S and X do show up. Regarding bringing them rims only: I'm not really a DIY guy so I'm looking for full end to end service. I'll probably buy from America's Tires (known as Discount Tire in other states). Should be fine, they have great Yelp reviews.

Update: I drove to the Costco in person and the man there said they were missing the "torque specs" for the Model 3 and that's why they couldn't install last week. Today he said the torque specs showed up in the system so they WILL install. Hopefully the Michelin pilot Sport 4S I ordered will be installed this Friday.

Do they have jack adapters to protect the bottom of the car?

I was at a private event this weekend with my M3 (RWD) and just happened to source Hankook RS3 in the exact stock 18 tire size..(heat treated and ready to rock)

I couldnt get a good baseline, but range was pretty bad, considering these tires are 200 TW, sticky...but with the handicap of the Traction Control, we actually faired pretty well on the track.

Brakes were roasted and lots of brake fade... and will be ordering @MountainPass upgraded rotors for the front as I personally have this thing for floating rotors...going to get pull out my rolodex for racing brake mfg to see if I can get a Porterfield R4S made...

I was at a private event this weekend with my M3 (RWD) and just happened to source Hankook RS3 in the exact stock 18 tire size..(heat treated and ready to rock)

I couldnt get a good baseline, but range was pretty bad, considering these tires are 200 TW, sticky...but with the handicap of the Traction Control, we actually faired pretty well on the track.

Brakes were roasted and lots of brake fade... and will be ordering @MountainPass upgraded rotors for the front as I personally have this thing for floating rotors...going to get pull out my rolodex for racing brake mfg to see if I can get a Porterfield R4S made...
We are using Ferrodo DS2500 and they are fantastic. They have never even hinted at fading, and we drive to and from the track with them installed. They are surprisingly quiet for normal driving too. I have used R4S on one of my track cars and I was able to fade them, they are more of a street/autocross pad. I also used the R4 and it was much better.

We are using Ferrodo DS2500 and they are fantastic. They have never even hinted at fading, and we drive to and from the track with them installed. They are surprisingly quiet for normal driving too. I have used R4S on one of my track cars and I was able to fade them, they are more of a street/autocross pad. I also used the R4 and it was much better.

Does the Ferrodo require breakin or warmup?

I love the R4 pads....but recommend for track only as they need to be brought up to temp.

I had a look yesterday, the tire is only a few mm from the knuckle. It looks unlikely to work without a small spacer. We will be test fitting our wheels on the P3D next weekend so I will know for sure then.
Still wondering if there's any body contact at all with the 275 size? Full lock plus suspension compression causes rubbing or not? If yes, how bad is it? Wondering if this is a track only fitment, or if it also works on the street.

Will be very interested to see how this setup fits under the P3D+ as thats what I think my track setup will be.

Still wondering if there's any body contact at all with the 275 size? Full lock plus suspension compression causes rubbing or not? If yes, how bad is it? Wondering if this is a track only fitment, or if it also works on the street.

Will be very interested to see how this setup fits under the P3D+ as thats what I think my track setup will be.
No contact whatsoever. You can use it on the street, we just get terrible efficiency with them on. ~40 wh/km more than with the Aero's installed.

Last edited: