TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Buying Rear Child Seats after Initial Purchase?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AlexSV, Jul 9, 2012.

1. AlexSV

AlexSV Member

I don't have small kids anymore and don't need child sits now. But down the road,.. Question. Is it possible to install child sits later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I believe you can purchase items like the shelf and jump seats after the fact.

3. Dan5

Dan5 Member

No, you can not purchase the child seats after the fact. I had emailed Tesla about a month ago about that very question and their response was that there are bolts that have to be installed during manufacturing and that it would be better to order them and remove them until needed

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

better, not impossible. You still have the hole in the floor to fold them into I believe.

5. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

This is a question that is high on my list as well. Right now, I only have 1 kid, so taking a family trip will be no problem, but I don't know what the future holds for my family, so the option to seat extra people would be handy. The real question is, I have $1,500 for options set aside in the budget, do I get the air suspension of the jump seats. There is a good chance that I will never need the seats, and if I know I can add them in latter, I am sure I will be able to find the funds (cheaper than trading in for a model X at least). If I know I will be unable to add them at a latter date, I will probably need to pass on the air suspension to get the jump seats just to make sure I never have to give up my dream car for family needs.

6. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I have asked this question and received the same answer each time. "You can buy the seats and have them installed after the fact. It does not have to be installed during manufacturing."

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Childs no sits. Childs run, fidget, jump but no sit. :wink:

(Oh the joys of iPhone auto correct!)

8. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

What happens if you buy the rear jump seats only to discover your kid refuses to sit back there, or worse gets car sick riding backwards?

I would like to be able to remove the seats and sell them to someone else who discovers they need them after the fact. I would hope Telsa could accomodate this.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm not sure Tesla will even need to be involved. If you can buy them after the initial sale AND Tesla recommends removing them until needed, then I assume it's modular enough so that it can be pretty easily removed and installed. If that's so, it shouldn't be much different than selling someone any other accessory that needs some installation. I should be able to buy your seats and follow the instructions to install them.

The only hiccup I can see is if there needs to be some hardware installed on the chassis that never comes out (whether or not the seats are currently installed). In that case you might need some professional help depending on how deeply integrated those parts are.

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'm not sure it's politically correct to refer to kids as "parts".....