Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying second hand. EAP vs FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm in the UK and looking to buy a second hand model S.
I would like Full self drive when it is ready so have been looking at 2017 models listed with 'Full Self-Driving Capability'
Capability suggests to me that the hardware needed is installed but the FSD isn't included.
I noticed that some 2016 models have Enhanced Autopilot that seems to have pretty much the same features (currently) as Full Self Drive.
If I was to buy the 2016 EAP model would I be stopping myself from upgrading to FSD in the future?
From the looks of things, the EAP model has the increased number of cameras but I'm guessing a less powerful processor.
Ive also seen a couple of posts here suggesting that this can be upgraded in the future.
The 2016 model is £9000 cheaper than the 2017 model so I might be saving money initially, but if I have to pay for an upgrade and the FSD package it might be more expensive in the long run?

Many thanks,

Matt

EAP cars do have the same major features as newer cars with FSD because Tesla created a dumbed down EAP, renamed it AP and moved a few features in EAP to FSD — most notably auto lane changes. But the promise of FSD sold to us when we purchased EAP remains an unfulfilled promise for now. So if you purchase a car with EAP, you can also purchase FSD and join those of us awaiting its arrival since 2016! Or you can wait and buy FSD when it is actually implemented. The worry is EAP equipped cars may wait far longer than newer cars to get meaningful FSD features. In particular EAP equipped cars with HW2.0 seem to require some additional hardware updates to get FSD to work and Tesla is either slow playing us or hasn’t figured out the solutions required.

So if you buy a EAP equipped car, you would probably be wise to wait on buying FSD until it exists.

Last edited:
Or buy FSD right away before Tesla decides to pull that option because HW2 is too expensive to retrofit to HW3 and wants to limit their losses.
Good point. While HW2.0 seems to be more challenging than HW2.5, I wouldn’t be shocked if the option was pulled from all HW2.x if it happens at all.

Even though I agree with your warning, I would hate to see a lot of people race to buy FSD today and then feel victimized if another FSD sale occurs. I saved thousands on one of my Teslas during the last sale in Spring 2019. Of course I still bought vaporware, just got my vaporware for a cheaper price:)

Last edited:
Thanks AZred,

That is a good point. This is all my opinion! But FSD going on sale after buying it would not sting as much as buying or owning a HW2 vehicle that you thought was FSD capable and then Tesla pulls that option and it is now a forever enhanced autopilot vehicle. Which situation would you rather be stuck in? Especially if you can use that vehicle as a robo taxi that returns some of that cash you lost in the sale. Imo, its a no brainer. I would buy FSD immediately if I had a HW2 vehicle. Even if its not a long term vehicle, resale when FSD is deployed will be higher.

Last edited:
In addition to the above, it may be worth your time to look at a 2018 that has MCU2 (the newer MUCH faster screen). That will assure you get the HW3 upgrade faster (if you buy FSD) than those of us with MCU1 systems... as they dont know how to upgrade those yet. Plus many of the things rolled out in the last year only work on MCU2 cars (games, Netflix, etc).

Obviously a 2018 (produced after about March 2018 will cost more than a 2017 but worth the delta.

Unfortunately the 2018 model is out of my price range. I've been looking at 2016/2017 models with ~20,000 miles and EAP/full self drive for around £40k-£50k
When it states 'Full Self-Driving Capability' does that just mean that it has the hardware and I'd still have to pay for the software or would it be unlocked as soon as its ready?

The differences between FSD and EAP are small today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Autopilot#Feature_Table
Driving visualizations is the only difference at this point. FSD brings the huge promise of future improvements. There is a comment in below youtube video, that lane centering works better on HW3 as compared to HW2.5.
Speed Limit Reviews said:
For sure it’s a hw2.5 issue. Our hw2.5 is doing the same still. However our HW3 is not doing this at all. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the 2018 model is out of my price range. I've been looking at 2016/2017 models with ~20,000 miles and EAP/full self drive for around £40k-£50k
When it states 'Full Self-Driving Capability' does that just mean that it has the hardware and I'd still have to pay for the software or would it be unlocked as soon as its ready?

I think that description is pretty vague. From researching on ev-cpo, when it shows FSD in the AP software column(included) if you click on the vin it goes to Teslas website and under included options it says”Full self drive capability”. For what its worth. I think if you can find a 16’ X with EAP(purchase FSD immediately) or FSD at a good price, I would jump on it imo. I’m looking for another for the wife.