Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying secondhand and transfer of ESA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am buying a second hand Model S tomorrow off a private owner. Car was registered in Jan 2016 so very new. Firstly, does anyone know what steps need to be taken to add the car to my Tesla account and remove the car from the old owners account. Must be instant and straight forward as serious security issue having my car accessible by someone else.

Secondly Tesla told me that only buying a used car through them would the ESA be transferred. However reading on forums, there may be a workaround (certainly there is/was in the US back in April).

Thanks for any help.

So I am buying a UK second hand Model S tomorrow off a private owner. Car was registered in Jan 2016 so very new. Firstly, does anyone know what steps need to be taken to add the car to my Tesla account and remove the car from the old owners account. Must be instant and straight forward as serious security issue having my car accessible by someone else.

Secondly Tesla told me that only buying a used car through them would the ESA be transferred. However reading on forums, there may be a workaround (certainly there is/was in the US back in April).

Thanks for any help.

I recently sold my 2013 Model S here in the U.S. I emailed Tesla Service and let them know the car was being transferred, and the name and contact information of the buyer. The buyer is required to notify Tesla to have the car transferred to his account. I also had an ESA, and after several emails with a number of people at Tesla, got confirmation from three different people that the ESA transfers with the vehicle (unless I specifically ask to have it transferred to my new car) and the previous $100 transfer fee is no longer collected. Hope that helps.

Tesla Customer service told me I had to send them a color copy of my driver's license and a copy of the registration (showing the vin number) and they would transfer ownership in the system...

Call them and they will send you an email with where to send the documentation

Tesla Customer service told me I had to send them a color copy of my driver's license and a copy of the registration (showing the vin number) and they would transfer ownership in the system...

Call them and they will send you an email with where to send the documentation
Can you clarify whether you were told this as the buyer, or the seller? In my case, as the seller, I wasn't required to show anything.

Hello Bob,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. In order to transfer your Model S into your name and gain access to the vehicle through the Mobile App and My Tesla you will need to send the following information to [email protected].

1.Color copy or picture of current driver’s license or state ID.

2.Copy or picture of your title or registration (temporary registration is ok)

3.Email address you would like linked to your account (My Tesla email if account is already created)

4.Home or mailing address

5.Phone number

Please note the name on the title or registration must match the ID provided.

Please reply with these documents and information and we will submit your request. Once submitted the process will take 2-3 business days to complete.

Sincerely,

Michael Klonoff | Inside Sales Advisor