Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Tesla Model 3 via Vroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3/25/21 - received the following message:

“Your vehicle will be delivered contact-free on or around 04/06/2021”

anyone wanting to make some bets??
3/26/21 - Just received an email saying “Carrier Assigned For Pick-Up”. Inside are the details for a carrier who will pickup the trade-in within 3 days. They provided a sheet for me to print and put on dashboard, asked me again to empty my car, and remove the license plate. They also stated to make sure I cancel insurance on the car as well as registration.

Buying third party is not for the faint of heart. If you know what you are looking at and can have or help get access from Tesla on the VIN, you never know the true history of the VIN. You never know if said vehicle has been flagged by Tesla to never charge at SC. This was a big issue with Model S years ago. Not sure about it today with model 3. 3rd party always appears they don't care what lie they need to say in order to make the sale. Always check the for sale portion of the forums, for you never know what kind of deal can be found from previous owner that has all the correct answers.

Buying third party is not for the faint of heart. If you know what you are looking at and can have or help get access from Tesla on the VIN, you never know the true history of the VIN. You never know if said vehicle has been flagged by Tesla to never charge at SC. This was a big issue with Model S years ago. Not sure about it today with model 3. 3rd party always appears they don't care what lie they need to say in order to make the sale. Always check the for sale portion of the forums, for you never know what kind of deal can be found from previous owner that has all the correct answers.
You are correct. This was not an easy experience so far but most of it was my own fault for switching cars after I put money down and received a bank loan. I probably wouldn’t trust buying a Tesla will high miles via this route. The Model 3 I’m purchasing appears in great condition, single owner, and low miles. So I’m feeling not so risky, but there is anxiety!

3/26/21 - Just received an email saying “Carrier Assigned For Pick-Up”. Inside are the details for a carrier who will pickup the trade-in within 3 days. They provided a sheet for me to print and put on dashboard, asked me again to empty my car, and remove the license plate. They also stated to make sure I cancel insurance on the car as well as registration.
3/29/21 - Today is 3 days since I received the email stating to call the logistics company for trade-in pickup if I do not hear from them within 3 days (note: it doesn’t say business days). I called and they answered right away. I provided the last 6 of my VIN for the trade-in and they took notes and contact information. They didn’t have any record yet of a pickup for my trade-in. They said it is typical if I received the email from Vroom on Friday afternoon, which it was. They said they would call me today or tomorrow for a pickup. What was interesting is they asked when my new car is coming and when I told them they tried to delay the pickup to them. I explained I cannot drive the car because of miles and it is ready right now. I also said I appreciate them wanting to make it convenient but I have a spare vehicle. They seemed to take this as there will be no delay. We will see.

Since I’ve previously purchased through Carvana, I can tell you since Carvana handles their own logistics for cars and delivery, it is much easier with Carvana. The trade-in happens all at the same time in my past experience.

According to other complaints I’ve read, this is where the problems could start which are out of our control. From weeks of waiting to poor communication. Did you have a trade-in?
I am trading my car in to Vroom. Saved me a chunk of change in tax. And they found me the best financing rate, so all is being handled through them. Not sure if they can drop off the Tesla and take my trade on the same truck, but that would be convenient.

Sure are - and you can expect to wait a while for them to schedule and show up. They just picked up my Lexus - a week and a half after I fed-ex'd them the signed over title. No we'll see how long it takes the wunderkinds to send me my check.
I think there needs to be a Vroom post-sales support group hahah. This is stressful and drawn-out. Too many different hands, departs, and companies necessary to all do their part correctly.

3/29/21 - Today is 3 days since I received the email stating to call the logistics company for trade-in pickup if I do not hear from them within 3 days (note: it doesn’t say business days). I called and they answered right away. I provided the last 6 of my VIN for the trade-in and they took notes and contact information. They didn’t have any record yet of a pickup for my trade-in. They said it is typical if I received the email from Vroom on Friday afternoon, which it was. They said they would call me today or tomorrow for a pickup. What was interesting is they asked when my new car is coming and when I told them they tried to delay the pickup to them. I explained I cannot drive the car because of miles and it is ready right now. I also said I appreciate them wanting to make it convenient but I have a spare vehicle. They seemed to take this as there will be no delay. We will see.

Since I’ve previously purchased through Carvana, I can tell you since Carvana handles their own logistics for cars and delivery, it is much easier with Carvana. The trade-in happens all at the same time in my past experience.
3/30/21 - I received a call after lunch and it was a local company who handles recovering and transporting cars. They said they would be here in 2 hours. They arrived and took my trade-in. I had to ask for paperwork. The guy didn't have any so he game me his from the order to pickup. He took pictures of it before handing it over. He was nice and familiar with Vroom trade-ins. He said this is going to Vroom and the auction. Weird watching your car be taken away and not having one to replace it.

Yes, I've gotten emails now about separate trucks for Tesla delivery and trade pickup. No actual calls yet, but things are progressing.

BTW I had a small heart attack after checking my VIN (8th digit B) against online decoders and getting confused about the Dual Motor vs Performance digits. Turns out 2018-2019 M3Ps didn't code differently for this spec. Good thing I didn't call Vroom, that would have been a disaster.

Yes, I've gotten emails now about separate trucks for Tesla delivery and trade pickup. No actual calls yet, but things are progressing.

BTW I had a small heart attack after checking my VIN (8th digit B) against online decoders and getting confused about the Dual Motor vs Performance digits. Turns out 2018-2019 M3Ps didn't code differently for this spec. Good thing I didn't call Vroom, that would have been a disaster.
Glad to hear! I think patience is the only thing that will save us. I could get all pissed off but what good will come of it?

I think you can also tell the performance models visually because on the rear trunk there is a line under dual motor. Unless someone for an odd reason added it aftermarket.

3/30/21 - I received a call after lunch and it was a local company who handles recovering and transporting cars. They said they would be here in 2 hours. They arrived and took my trade-in. I had to ask for paperwork. The guy didn't have any so he game me his from the order to pickup. He took pictures of it before handing it over. He was nice and familiar with Vroom trade-ins. He said this is going to Vroom and the auction. Weird watching your car be taken away and not having one to replace it.
3/31/21 - I heard back from my contact who is “Supervisor, Transaction Executive Services”. She said they don’t have any information yet for payoff.

So now they have both my trade-in and my Tesla. Along with my deposits/down payment, and cashiers check.

3/31/21 - I heard back from my contact who is “Supervisor, Transaction Executive Services”. She said they don’t have any information yet for payoff.

So now they have both my trade-in and my Tesla. Along with my deposits/down payment, and cashiers check.
4/1/21 - I just realized the transportation company who picked up my trade-in gave me a paper with more detail than they probably should have. I can see they were to deliver my trade to an auto auction for reconditioning. I'm not sure if Vroom would run my vehicle through the auction. Maybe to try to sell it quickly, or to see what it would bring. I do know the reconditioning is where they take the photos of the Vroom vehicles.