Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Tesla Model 3 via Vroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4/1/21 - I just realized the transportation company who picked up my trade-in gave me a paper with more detail than they probably should have. I can see they were to deliver my trade to an auto auction for reconditioning. I'm not sure if Vroom would run my vehicle through the auction. Maybe to try to sell it quickly, or to see what it would bring. I do know the reconditioning is where they take the photos of the Vroom vehicles.
4/1/21 - I just thought I'd search Vroom for my trade-in by searching the VIN. To my surprise I found it listed as "coming soon". They have all the specs, miles, price, and VIN. They're just missing the photos.

4/2/21 - What that am April fools joke from Vroom?
4/2/21 - My Tesla was delivered. The vehicle is in great condition. I did find a few scrapes but they are not serious but they will be brought up to Vroom since they were missing from the descriptions and photos. The vehicle is a couple years old after all. What does concern me is I didn’t receive any temp tags. I have a Texas Buyer’s Tag but I’m not believing this is valid in Michigan. The car came with a near full charge.

57F47997-E42D-476C-8114-02C958045FCA.jpeg
Here’s a photo, haha! It is an awesome car. I had to come to terms that Vroom didn’t detail the condition accurately but it is good enough for being a used car. I really love it. My wife is test driving a new Y tomorrow and I expect we will buy it.

In summary, I would never recommend anyone buy a Tesla used from a dealer online other than Tesla themselves. A local dealer where you can see, touch, test drive - OK, maybe fine. Too many dealers know nothing about Tesla’s to be able to even attempt at being honest with you. This was the most stressful purchase I’ve ever made.

I’m still awaiting my paperwork for the DMV and registration. More to come.

Last edited:
Excellent. Enjoy it.

An update on my Vroom deal - my car should be arriving this week. After days of automated texts, I got a call last night. Now I am waiting for a call from the delivery truck folks. Could be today or tomorrow. The same clunky process is happening with my trade pick-up.

I never heard back from anyone at Vroom about the transfer of purchased packages on the M3.

Excellent. Enjoy it.

An update on my Vroom deal - my car should be arriving this week. After days of automated texts, I got a call last night. Now I am waiting for a call from the delivery truck folks. Could be today or tomorrow. The same clunky process is happening with my trade pick-up.

I never heard back from anyone at Vroom about the transfer of purchased packages on the M3.
Wish you best of luck! Curious how it goes, you could share here.

4/2/21 - My Tesla was delivered. The vehicle is in great condition. I did find a few scrapes but they are not serious but they will be brought up to Vroom since they were missing from the descriptions and photos. The vehicle is a couple years old after all. What does concern me is I didn’t receive any temp tags. I have a Texas Buyer’s Tag but I’m not believing this is valid in Michigan. The car came with a near full charge.
4/7/21 - Vroom just called about the scratches and cleanliness of the vehicle. They apologized and are sending me a check for $660. It’s better than nothing and makes me feel better to be honest.

Reactions: byeLT4
Good to know, thanks.

My M3 arrived today, but despite the listing description and rear emblem, was not a performance. It went back on the truck.
I spent 40 minutes on hold until a pained employee apologized and told me it would be 3-4 days until the ‘buy back dept’ called me back. Knowing it’s not her fault, I reined in my anger and asked for other options. She ‘escalated’ the situation, and hopefully I will get a call in 24hrs.
I hope a comparable (actual) M3P can be found and sent out ASAP. I am not optimistic, but will report back.

Good to know, thanks.

My M3 arrived today, but despite the listing description and rear emblem, was not a performance. It went back on the truck.
I spent 40 minutes on hold until a pained employee apologized and told me it would be 3-4 days until the ‘buy back dept’ called me back. Knowing it’s not her fault, I reined in my anger and asked for other options. She ‘escalated’ the situation, and hopefully I will get a call in 24hrs.
I hope a comparable (actual) M3P can be found and sent out ASAP. I am not optimistic, but will report back.
Wow thats crazy. So your vin on the site shows a performance but when you got there it was an LR? And the vin was the same?

Good to know, thanks.

Sorry to hear you had troubles. I can just honestly give you advice. Stop and get your money all back and do not deal with them. Use one of the private sellers on sites, a local dealer, or Tesla’s used inventory.

I would trust a private seller over any dealer. I would also only trust a local dealer if you can get in, test drive, and view the Tesla. I would trust buying a used from Tesla as well.

I appreciate the advice. I'm going to give them one more chance, because they have two low-mile M3Ps listed as 'available soon' - a white 2019 and a red 2020. If I can get first refusal for these cars, I will be satisfied. Assuming all else goes smoothly. A lot will depend on how the phone call goes today.

I appreciate the advice. I'm going to give them one more chance, because they have two low-mile M3Ps listed as 'available soon' - a white 2019 and a red 2020. If I can get first refusal for these cars, I will be satisfied. Assuming all else goes smoothly. A lot will depend on how the phone call goes today.
Ok, hope the best for you! Keep us updated. Just to let you know I’ve been watching my trade-in as “available soon” on Vroom for a week + now. I suspect they don’t list it until my 7 day window expires and they’ve paid off my trade. Then they need to have pictures taken.

I was told by a rep that once the car delivered it may have FSD but once Tesla does their quarterly audits, FSD will be removed. I didn’t believe it so I done my research. A Tesla rep in Raleigh North Carolina TOLD ME ”Hell No” that’s not true. I asked on FB groups and someone posted a link to a story where it happened and Tesla Restored FSD privileges after taken away after delivery because it was advertised as such.
B5CD5132-88A4-47F3-8EEF-40969CFCDA7C.png