Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Tesla Model 3 via Vroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a M3P through a private owner about an hour from here. The seller will have it until his Taycan arrives in 2 weeks. If Vroom can't correct my snafu this week, I will cancel. The advantages they have are sales tax savings via my trade, 2% financing, and avoiding the DMV. These are not small issues.

4/12/21 - Vroom called to ask me where the remainder of my down payment was. I explained everything was previously wired. They checked their records and verified this was correct.
Just brilliant - mirrored my experience when selling my Lexus to Vroom. Sent them my scanned signed title (and all the paperwork)... heard absolutely nothing back for a week, I emailed a few times and then broke down and suffered the Vroom phone hell saga that they have. After about an hour and 3 transfers getting dropped altogether twice, I get a fellow in their document department. I'm like "hey what's going on?" he says oh you never signed the title. I said look again... 3 seconds later he's like - oh never mind we're all set! A week, y'all never called and I had to hunt you down for this?!?

If I were you, I would look at....

" Self, How many hours have I spent working on, and worrying about this, and how much do I make an hour in my day job?" to get a rough cost at how much trying to push through this might "save" you.
Sage advice IMO. I cannot fathom buying a tesla from vroom. Resale values are already crazy high on low mileage recent Teslas. I cannot see saving 3, say 5k with all of this, I'd say buy new from Tesla and treat yourself. I used vroom because their trade-in on my Lexus IS was 1500 over Tesla, and 500 over Carmax. I should have just dropped it off at carmax and avoided the way I had to micromanage their process.

Reactions: bllanter
I spent 2 hours on hold, no one can help me. I'm losing my mind with this. I'm considering joining Twitter.
Wow. That’s a great price. If it turns out to be performance.
I got tired talking with zero idea reps at vroom. Pulled the trigger on a Tesla CPO on Tesla website.
it’s a RED 2020 SR+ with upgraded wheels, white interiors and only 1600 miles. Was priced at 38k. CPO comes with extra 1 year warranty. So I think it’s a good deal.
working on the rest of the paperwork and trade in pricing.

4/13/21 - Received my title, with a couple papers needed to register in my state. There are no instructions or anything along with the paperwork explaining more. I can imagine this could confuse some people.

Interestingly I can see the full name, address, and signature of the person who traded in their Tesla Model 3. I also have their payoff letter attached to the papers from their bank.

Next I will need to schedule an appointment at the DMV (Secretary of State here in Michigan).

Wow, that seems odd. Is the title still in the previous owner’s name? Vroom never took ownership?
Still no call for me, tomorrow will be 1 week.
Vroom is on the title after the original seller. They signed everything off for me. I literally have to sign one place on the title. They also included a form to transfer the title to my state and me. I think it’s up to me to include my leinholder on the title though.

4/14/21 - I called Chrysler Capital to make sure they received the payoff. They confirmed they did receive payoff on 4/8 and it just takes time on their end to process the payoff. They said to expect it to be paid off by end of this week. They said I can check back next week. Hope so, because my next payment would be due next week.

One thing to note: Vroom sent payoff a week after the payoff expired from Chrysler Capital. They didn’t even bother following up with Chrysler to get an updated payoff. Chrysler said it should be ok though and there shouldn’t be any interest.

For me it's been a week since the wrong car arrived, and I've yet to hear from anyone at Vroom. I'm all out of patience, and now I'm trying to cancel the "swap" and just get my downpayment and trade-in money back. I hope this simplifies the process.

Reactions: bllanter
4/15/21 - This morning I went to the Secretary of State (DMV in Michigan) and registered/transferred title of my Tesla. I had to pay half as much taxes as I prepared for in worst case scenario. I chose to transfer my plate from my trade-in.

I believe the Secretary of State mafia took their share in taxes (meaning they didn’t provide me enough credit following the trade-in sales tax credit of Michigan as I was due). I could have disputed it and then they would have likely made me leave with nothing. I would then have to try to schedule another appointment with them (very difficult to do). Instead I stroked their ego and played along. Not worth ~$900 in savings.

The tax issue is yet another problem with Vroom. They don’t include sales tax in their deals which leaves you to deal with the DMV when you register. I’m just wanting all of this experience to be over with.

My new title should arrive in a few weeks via mail.

In my contract, my GA sales tax was included and wrapped into the loan. Maybe it is state specific.

Today I finally got an email from Vroom (7 days later), they are sending back my downpayment, and will send me a check for my trade value once it's processed. They will also cancel loan, and I will keep my fingers crossed that happens before the first payment is due.

I've been following this thread because I bought a car from vroom at the same time you did and received it two days ago. Have you been able to link it to your tesla account yet? If so, about how long did you have to wait?

You should be able to provide proof and then have access right away. But it might take longer if you cannot prove ownership.
Yeah, I'm not sure what kind of proof they're looking for. The little tooltip says that temporary registration is OK, but they want a back and front. Anyway, thanks! Appreciate it. The thread has been super helpful, too. Luckily I only had a problem with them trying to upsell me on their awful loan (despite telling them I was going to use my own) and lost a car that I was trying to put the $500 down on.

Yeah, I'm not sure what kind of proof they're looking for. The little tooltip says that temporary registration is OK, but they want a back and front. Anyway, thanks! Appreciate it. The thread has been super helpful, too. Luckily I only had a problem with them trying to upsell me on their awful loan (despite telling them I was going to use my own) and lost a car that I was trying to put the $500 down on.
Thanks and I hope you are happy with yours! I love mine.

Tip: use the Texas Buyers Tag (laminated) front, and then your retail purchase agreement for the other. Then the next step requires you to rename your car to what they tell you, while it’s connected to your WiFi.

Thanks and I hope you are happy with yours! I love mine.

Tip: use the Texas Buyers Tag (laminated) front, and then your retail purchase agreement for the other. Then the next step requires you to rename your car to what they tell you, while it’s connected to your WiFi.
Yep! That's what I did. Did you get any sort of confirmation email that it's being looked at when you finished that process?