Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Tesla Model 3 while owning Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are test driving a Model 3 today. I already own a Model S and she will be getting the Model 3 is all goes well (which I expect will). My question is where on the order form do I put my Model S Referral Code. My history of Referral Codes is that if you do not use it at time of order you loose it. I sent email to Tesla with no response. That was after a Chat request with no response. I found a phone number today and they want to route me to a local show room. Again, my history is right after I order I am assigned a someone to handle my order and then some to handle delivery. All of which may have changed now. I am just very surprised there is no 800 number for Tesla Sales to help with the order process. Anyway, maybe I will not have any issues getting it added after the order is placed but would be nice to know the proper procedure.

I think you need to start the purchase by clicking on your own referral link.
Wow. How simply is that. Yes, I just clicked on it and it said you have free 1,000 miles of supercharging. But, I could not find anything that told me to do that. Now, my guess is the guy giving us the test drive might have told us that (today) but maybe not a lot of people are ordering a second Tesla.

Now, my guess is the guy giving us the test drive might have told us that (today) but maybe not a lot of people are ordering a second Tesla.

Ha! What a joke. It took all of two weeks before my wife and I both want to ditch our second car in favor of another Tesla! I've seen more than plenty of people with multiple Teslas in their sig.

Reactions: d21mike
I received my 3 last week, coming off an S. I used my own referral code and got 2000 free miles of supercharging as both the giver and receiver of the code. What exactly would happen wasn't obvious to me going into the purchase, but it worked out as I had hoped.
As an aside, my S had free supercharging from purchase, but they put the 2k into my account.

Sadly for me I use maybe 400 supercharging miles per year. I think my promo miles will expire before I use them, but there's a strange satisfaction in having them anyway. (of course now I can't even find the link for how many promo miles I own)

Reactions: d21mike
Did my order over phone with an actual store. I think there may have been a problem doing this as I have yet to see any referral miles and the person taking order had a few questions on how to do it. I also think they used my code to give to someone else (not me) as there is an unknown name that I gifted to in my 'loot box' on app. Have the new 3 about three weeks now, have an inquiry in to Tesla support regarding.

Anyways- probably using app to gift yourself is best choice.

Having said that, this is really only worth $30 or so... Possibly not even worth the effort in the big picture but I concur, it does feel good to get something for free! :)