Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Tesla S for saving money

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I have an idea and I am interested in your opinion.

I would like to buy an used Tesla with 100-125k km for about 45 000€ (market in Germany).

Thing is that I am traveling Munchen - Bratislava (around 2x500km) 3 times a week and taking 3 people via blablacar and they are giving me 25-30€ per 1 way. For easy calculation it is in average 2x3x3x27,5 = 500€ with minimum my costs.
When I compare similar classes of cars like BMW, Audi and so - owning this cars is pretty expensive in each way.
This 500€ can easily cover my payment for loan.

Question is, is it really saving money step to buy Tesla (in regard to service, battery and so) ?

Thank you

Hello All,

I have an idea and I am interested in your opinion.

I would like to buy an used Tesla with 100-125k km for about 45 000€ (market in Germany).

Thing is that I am traveling Munchen - Bratislava (around 2x500km) 3 times a week and taking 3 people via blablacar and they are giving me 25-30€ per 1 way. For easy calculation it is in average 2x3x3x27,5 = 500€ with minimum my costs.
When I compare similar classes of cars like BMW, Audi and so - owning this cars is pretty expensive in each way.
This 500€ can easily cover my payment for loan.

Question is, is it really saving money step to buy Tesla (in regard to service, battery and so) ?

Thank you

You will not save money with a Tesla - especially buying an older one. The Model S is a high cost vehicle, so parts are very expensive - not unlike a high end Mercedes or BMW. And while it's a good car, from a very young company, the Model S does require service. Out of warranty repairs would rapidly destroy any savings.

Reactions: LoL Rick
As above, I think the key thing would be an OEM warranty. I'm not sure how Tesla stand with extended warranties, but I would be looking at that side of things first. Obviously with that kind of mileage (3000 km per week!), actual running costs would be very favourable against a conventional ICE car if there are no reliability issues. There are certainly Teslas around that have covered large mileages without any major issues, but still a risk I think. If you can cover that risk with an OEM unlimited mileage warranty, then it sounds like a feasible plan to me. Otherwise a bit of a gamble!

Out of warranty repairs would rapidly destroy any savings.

Not really, if you check the actual Tesloop spreadsheet linked in the article, Model S and X are much cheaper to run in regards to total cost of service and propulsion than similar ICE, even if there are issues like Tesloop has had.

I would personally go for Model S just for the improved experience of travelling.

"Saving money" with cars is a bit like trying to fart while having diarrhea, anyway.

Reactions: berkeley_ecar
Not really, if you check the actual Tesloop spreadsheet linked in the article, Model S and X are much cheaper to run in regards to total cost of service and propulsion than similar ICE, even if there are issues like Tesloop has had.

I would personally go for Model S just for the improved experience of travelling.

"Saving money" with cars is a bit like trying to fart while having diarrhea, anyway.

I don't need to check a spreadsheet. I have my own car. And I can tell you that, had I not had a warranty, the service costs would have blown any fuel savings out of the water. And that's been true in each of the nearly 4 years I've owned it. And that's only driving 30,000 km/year.

I don't need to check a spreadsheet. I have my own car. And I can tell you that, had I not had a warranty, the service costs would have blown any fuel savings out of the water. And that's been true in each of the nearly 4 years I've owned it. And that's only driving 30,000 km/year.
Deleted my reply by accident...

Anyway, if OP is driving at rate of 156000km / year, my previous car fuel costs would have been over 26k€ / year. Maintenance schedule would have included expensive belt change and ATF every 9 months at that rate of driving. Another thousand for oil changes, etc.

So if DU and battery are covered for 8 years, there is some buffer for repairs.

Reactions: Olle
I don't agree with what the others are saying... yes there will be maintenance on the car but there will be probably even more with the other luxury brands. Just the fuel savings will give you a great buffer for other costs. Also there's the added value of having the autopilot, which in your case will be very valuable.

From my own experience my 2014 P85+ has cost me some money and maintenance but never ask much as the fuel cost (and not even close).

My Tesla Model S is the cheapest car I have ever owned. I now have 144,000 miles on it and I have only spent about $900 on maintenance and repairs. I use it to make money on Turo and other services. I generally do not have a car payment each month. I also love this car and how it drives. I say go for it and enjoy the future today.

Brent

My Tesla Model S is the cheapest car I have ever owned. I now have 144,000 miles on it and I have only spent about $900 on maintenance and repairs. I use it to make money on Turo and other services. I generally do not have a car payment each month. I also love this car and how it drives. I say go for it and enjoy the future today.

Brent

how would you have had it 144K miles and spent less than 900 on tires?

You will not save money with a Tesla - especially buying an older one. The Model S is a high cost vehicle, so parts are very expensive - not unlike a high end Mercedes or BMW. And while it's a good car, from a very young company, the Model S does require service. Out of warranty repairs would rapidly destroy any savings.
So... what parts would need to be replaced?
Tires, yes
Windshield wipers, yes
I can't think of any other routine maintenance costs (like ICE cars tune-up, oil change, brake pads, transmission fluid) or even extraordinary breakdown (like ICE cars engine and transmission rebuild, radiator, generator, power steering pump and rack, emissions control, catalytic converter, starter motor, etc. ... all of which I have had to replace on my ICE cars before 200,000 miles).

Guys, 3000km is per month, so 36 000km...lets say roughly 40 000km/year, in a 4 years it is 160 000km. Thats is not that much. How much money for example BMW 5 costs you ? I am sure a lot.

@Benjanos monthly distance is 3000km not 13 000km. My salary is about 2500€ netto, but I would try to cover price of car with blablacar peoples fees.

It is easy to comapre...that tesla with that milage and some V6 diesel.

So... what parts would need to be replaced?
Tires, yes
Windshield wipers, yes
I can't think of any other routine maintenance costs (like ICE cars tune-up, oil change, brake pads, transmission fluid) or even extraordinary breakdown (like ICE cars engine and transmission rebuild, radiator, generator, power steering pump and rack, emissions control, catalytic converter, starter motor, etc. ... all of which I have had to replace on my ICE cars before 200,000 miles).

It's not routine maintenance. It's the various breakdowns.

Here's a list of what I've had done in 3 years / 100,000 km. Some of these items would be expensive without warranty.

2 Charge Port Doors
2 MCU Replacements
2 Windshield Washer Pump
2 Corroded Rear Diffuser replacements
2 Corroded Liftgate Strut Mounts
1 Door Handle Backing
7 Door Handle Extension Mechanism replacements
1 Steering Column U Joint replacements
1 Half Shaft Axle Seal replacement
2 A/C Condenser replacements
1 Rear Air Spring replacement
3 Leaking Tail Light - and it still leaks. i give up.
1 Power Steering Rack
1 Rear Drive Unit
1 Upper Control Arm
1 Battery Chiller
1 Instrument Cluster Screen

Here's a list of what I've had done in 3 years / 100,000 km. Some of these items would be expensive without warranty.

2 Charge Port Doors
2 MCU Replacements
2 Windshield Washer Pump
1 Door Handle Backing
1 Power Steering Rack
1 Rear Drive Unit
1 Upper Control Arm
1 Battery Chiller

Hi sandpiper, can you please +- put price for that parts ? if you remember some.

2 Charge Port Doors
2 MCU Replacements
2 Windshield Washer Pump
1 Door Handle Backing
1 Power Steering Rack
1 Rear Drive Unit
1 Upper Control Arm
1 Battery Chiller
Sincerely sorry to hear about such bad luck with your car. I expect that the new car you seem to be getting is better. My 2017 has had zero issues in 11 months.

I assume most of the frequently problematic parts are replaced with improved part numbers in later cars and also in warranty repairs.

Last edited:
Isn't it a fact that older models had greater issues? I would be cautious buying an older Tesla. If you are looking at it strictly from an economic perspective, perhaps a low km, recent model year would be an option.

The distance looks more like 575km x2 = 1150km? You won't be doing that on one charge. Have you factored in the wait time for all occupants at a supercharger? You'd be at St. Valentin, Austria supercharger for at least 30 minutes each way so an extra hour per trip.