Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying USA Model S and importing into Canada - complications?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the list here, Model S and X are inadmissible to import from USA to Canada.

TESLA MOTORS

Note-2: Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S.Model S and Model X vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for further details.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I would have thought that the US would be worse than Canada on regs. My sympathy.

It's not a regulation issue -- it's strictly a Tesla issue. My Leaf is from the States, when our exchange rate was at par, and the DLR issue was an easy fix. The odometer is just a change in the user control settings - same as with the S. So this has nothing to do with why we can't import. In fact, Tesla allows the Roadster but not the S or the X, and the speculation is for two reasons: (1) service centers are busy enough with Canadian sold vehicles and don't want to start doing DLR fixes let alone warranty repairs; and (2) cost control given fluctuation in the dollar. There's little doubt that at some time down the line Tesla will lift the import restrictions of the S. The X lift will probably come a lot later.

Reactions: TrevTremaine