Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used 2017 MX 100D. Calling all opinions! Here we go....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a 2015 MS 70D for 4 years and now I want to buy a Model X for my family of 6 (4 kids). Here are my priorities:

-More than 5 seats (see above lol)
-More than 289 miles range
-Good price
-Blue, Grey, Black, or white (in that order and i really like the blue!)
-Black interior
-Subzero and Unlimited supercharging are a big PLUS :)

I am looking at the one below. Please help me decide if I should purchase or if I should wait for a better deal. Also any information on why you have a certain preference would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Autotrader - page unavailable

I've had a 2015 MS 70D for 4 years and now I want to buy a Model X for my family of 6 (4 kids). Here are my priorities:

-More than 5 seats (see above lol)
-More than 289 miles range
-Good price
-Blue, Grey, Black, or white (in that order and i really like the blue!)
-Black interior
-Subzero and Unlimited supercharging are a big PLUS :)

I am looking at the one below. Please help me decide if I should purchase or if I should wait for a better deal. Also any information on why you have a certain preference would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Autotrader - page unavailable
My first X was blue and I loved that color (RIP per deer). My second X is pretty close to the above. A grey 6/2017 build. Mine is 6 seat. It has been very good to me and many miles of travel. I looked at pictures and it seems very clean. That is good mileage too. Mine has 45K and I bought it as a service loaner with 4K.

If you can put a refundable deposit on it, then I would do that right away/ASAP. 1) look like a good deal; 2) now that you have a thread/link on it someone else may want to snatch it up.

Below is how my battery has faired (TeslaFI.com data) on my 6/2017. I have roadtrip probably 4/5th of those miles. I charge to 70% at home nightly.
rJZcKHL.jpg

Just doesn’t make sense to spend that much for a used X. A brand new one is $83k (with tax break 5 seater). Also watch out for models with MCU1.

You will lose the free super charging if bought from a dealer. New one has longer range, full 4 years of warranty, free super charging, new tires, new suspension, HW3, MCU2 and basic autopilot.

All for a little more than 10% more than the one you posted. The warranty plus free super charging along is almost worth that.

Just doesn’t make sense to spend that much for a used X. A brand new one is $83k (with tax break 5 seater). Also watch out for models with MCU1.
You will lose the free super charging if bought from a dealer. New one has longer range, full 4 years of warranty, free super charging, new tires, new suspension, HW3, MCU2 and basic autopilot.
All for a little more than 10% more than the one you posted. The warranty plus free super charging along is almost worth that.
That is a good point about MCU1 which came on the 6/2017. Mine works perfectly fine. I don't need Netflix.

Price seemed to be good based on my searches of comparables. Used 100kWhs are harder to find. Various 90 kWh and lower tho. I would not get a 90 kWh with the degradation history. Plus a 90 won't give him the mileage he wants.

Your $83K price is off tho. It is more like $88K (plus dest and doc fees). He can't take off -$5,300 for 6 years of gas saving ... for one he is driving a S now.

mx9q7UE.jpg

Last edited:
That is a good point about MCU1 which came on the 6/2017. Mine works perfectly fine. I don't need Netflix.

Price seemed to be good based on my searches of comparables. Used 100kWhs are harder to find. Various 90 kWh and lower tho. I would not get a 90 kWh with the degradation history. Plus a 90 won't give him the mileage he wants.

Your $83K price is off tho. It is more like $88K (plus dest and doc fees). He can't take off -$5,300 for 6 years of gas saving ... for one he is driving a S now.

mx9q7UE.jpg

You might squeak by today on MCU1, but what will you be missing in 3 years from now? Warranty is like $4500 for 4 years and 3/4 is used up on the car he posted. Free Supercharging has varying value too. Those two things that most people will use in some form is $6K of real money that you lose by getting what he posted. Not to mention some degradation, tires etc.

You might squeak by today on MCU1, but what will you be missing in 3 years from now? Warranty is like $4500 for 4 years and 3/4 is used up on the car he posted. Free Supercharging has varying value too. Those two things that most people will use in some form is $6K of real money that you lose by getting what he posted. Not to mention some degradation, tires etc.
It is good to weigh the options. You have to figure out what works for your family budget and situation. The MCU1 vs MCU2 is an interesting situation. For the right upgrade price I'd consider that as I'm keeping this X for many years. Functionality-wise, tho, the car/MCU1 works excellent for any daily driving and long roadtrips (did ~6K one this summer). I bought FSD so my HW2.0/AP2.0 will at least be updated.

My first X was blue and I loved that color (RIP per deer). My second X is pretty close to the above. A grey 6/2017 build. Mine is 6 seat. It has been very good to me and many miles of travel. I looked at pictures and it seems very clean. That is good mileage too. Mine has 45K and I bought it as a service loaner with 4K.

If you can put a refundable deposit on it, then I would do that right away/ASAP. 1) look like a good deal; 2) now that you have a thread/link on it someone else may want to snatch it up.

Below is how my battery has faired (TeslaFI.com data) on my 6/2017. I have roadtrip probably 4/5th of those miles. I charge to 70% at home nightly.
rJZcKHL.jpg
Thanks Scott for the info. Good to know. Yeah, I hope that it is still available tomorrow.

Sometimes that last 10% is the hardest to save/borrow. I hear what you are saying and believe me, I have considered it. It is still a possibility. How will I lose the free supercharging if bought from a dealer? I guess I don't know about that part.

Sometimes that last 10% is the hardest to save/borrow. I hear what you are saying and believe me, I have considered it. It is still a possibility. How will I lose the free supercharging if bought from a dealer? I guess I don't know about that part.

You aren’t considering depreciation. 10% more up front for a new vs used model could save you MUCH more in depreciation in just a few years. Let alone the potential savings from the extra warranty

If an extra 10% up front will make or break you on a purchase like this, especially when it will most likely save you $ in the long run, you might want to reconsider purchasing an expensive depreciating asset.

I’m trying to give helpful advice here, nothing else

Last edited:
You aren’t considering depreciation. 10% more up front for a new vs used model could save you MUCH more in depreciation in just a few years. Let alone the potential savings from the extra warranty
You should really show the math on that and include the extra interest on the loans. The price of the used vs new takes into account the depreciation of the used. Show the math for clarity please.

You should really show the math on that and include the extra interest on the loans. The price of the used vs new takes into account the depreciation of the used. Show the math for clarity please.

New car loans are almost always lower than used, although usually buying new will usually cost you more in depreciation, but in this case the used car is only 10% less than a new model.

In 3-4 years the older model will be worth significantly less than the newer model would. Certainly worth less than the extra 10% up front for buying the newer model.

Tesla’s have a complicated depreciation model because they don’t follow the typical model year or pricing of other manufacturers.

Many other members have covered all of this before in other threads. I don’t claim to be an expert, but i follow car values (ICE included), and follow Tesla’s updates and I fully stand by my statements as informative observations and predictions. Figure the math out for yourself!

Tesla does not allow it. Don’t quite understand why, but that’s the way it is. The used models Tesla sells have it stripped as well. Only if you buy from a private seller is it retained.

It's better to look at a used CPO from tesla.com. You might be lucky to find one that matches most of your requirements.
You might pay a bit more. But the CPO comes with a 4 year/50000 mile warranty that starts on the day when the used car is purchased. This is a significant benefit of buying CPO directly from tesla compared to other 3rd party or private sellers. The free super charging also transfers with CPO purchases ( I think its only for 2017 or newer model X).

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I would recommend you call into Tesla and speak with a rep. Ask about discounted new Tesla's. While Tesla doesn't negotiate prices, they do discount cars for various reasons. I called them in June and asked for their most Heavily discounted 100D Model X with black interior and EAP. They found me a new 2018 Model X with 67 miles on it. It had EAP, black interior, and was a 6 seater model. I preferred the 5 or 7 seats due to their ability to fold down but I took this one for one big reason. It was discounted 17,000 dollars. I got it for 84,600. I upgraded my EAP to FSD for 3,000. So my total investment was 87,600. This was back in June so the pricing was different at that time. It would have been around 106,000 as configured at the time of purchase to get it with FSD.

TLDR: Call a Tesla salesman and ask for the most heavily discounted cars they can find

I would recommend you call into Tesla and speak with a rep. Ask about discounted new Tesla's. While Tesla doesn't negotiate prices, they do discount cars for various reasons. I called them in June and asked for their most Heavily discounted 100D Model X with black interior and EAP. They found me a new 2018 Model X with 67 miles on it. It had EAP, black interior, and was a 6 seater model. I preferred the 5 or 7 seats due to their ability to fold down but I took this one for one big reason. It was discounted 17,000 dollars. I got it for 84,600. I upgraded my EAP to FSD for 3,000. So my total investment was 87,600. This was back in June so the pricing was different at that time. It would have been around 106,000 as configured at the time of purchase to get it with FSD.

TLDR: Call a Tesla salesman and ask for the most heavily discounted cars they can find

You got lucky. Thats a good deal! In order to save one has to be flexible with colors and options. I have tried calling and was quotes nothing below 95k for Model X of any battery size. Also calling tesla sales rep needs time and patience, they are hard to get..

rJZcKHL.jpg

I have a 2017 MX 100D currently has 33K miles bought it used from a dealer in Palm beach.. My 100% battery charge is ~273 miles..
Guess i need to speak to tesla about this..

ASIDE:
I have a 2017 MX 100D currently has 33K miles bought it used from a dealer in Palm beach.. My 100% battery charge is ~273 miles..
Guess i need to speak to tesla about this..
273 / 295 = 92.5% ... so not great but not awful. Your temps there year around are pretty good too: Average Weather in West Palm Beach, Florida, United States, Year Round - Weather Spark -- who knows how the battery was actually treated tho ... meaning did it sat at single digits SOC or high 90s% SOC for long length of times. Your Service Center should be able to see all your cells and expected voltage ranges (balanced?). ScanMyTesla and TM-Spy can give some if this info as well if you know what to look at/fro.