Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used from Tesla, bad experience, any recourse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Customer service took a real dump after the 3 was mass produced. Our S85 was a CPO in Q4 17 and delivery/service was amazing. Tesla even charged it to 90% for me before I purchased it to check the battery health. Sold the S last year and bought new 3 and X. Both were home delivered. We leased the X to not be stuck with the technological obsolescence depreciation.

That being said, cars are amazing and worth putting up with the BS.

Customer service took a real dump after the 3 was mass produced. Our S85 was a CPO in Q4 17 and delivery/service was amazing. Tesla even charged it to 90% for me before I purchased it to check the battery health. Sold the S last year and bought new 3 and X. Both were home delivered. We leased the X to not be stuck with the technological obsolescence depreciation.

That being said, cars are amazing and worth putting up with the BS.

Curious to your thought process;

What technological obsolescence do you foresee on a 2020 X that you don’t see on a 3?

From everything I can tell, the X is already ahead of the 3, all same features and then some as well as a longer range... what am I missing?

Curious to your thought process;

What technological obsolescence do you foresee on a 2020 X that you don’t see on a 3?

From everything I can tell, the X is already ahead of the 3, all same features and then some as well as a longer range... what am I missing?

Good point. The 3, I plan to keep for a long time so I don't care. The X, I am less sure and the price drops over the last few years have been insane. So my worry is primarily depreciation. Then again, at some point S and Z are going to get the 3 treatment IMO (batteries, horizontal screen) which will further depreciate the current X. I may be wrong.

Good point. The 3, I plan to keep for a long time so I don't care. The X, I am less sure and the price drops over the last few years have been insane. So my worry is primarily depreciation. Then again, at some point S and Z are going to get the 3 treatment IMO (batteries, horizontal screen) which will further depreciate the current X. I may be wrong.

The 3 treatment doesn’t seem to add much. You think they’ll lose the dual screen configuration in favor of the single smaller screen? I certainly don’t want that so if it happened the old ones would immediately have more value to me.

Battery cells are interesting tho, I am not convinced the 3 battery is any different in chemistry vs the others being made now. I think the size of the cell makes it cheaper to build (cost per kWh) but I don’t think it makes it more “durable”, if anything it creates hot spots right at the center of the cell (larger diameter) which can’t be measured or dealt with. I don’t think they are bad batteries but I don’t see them as an upgrade. Tesla internally decides what levels to charge at and the smaller M3 packs are cheaper to replace, in my opinion this is the real reason they do a higher max SC rate, not “superior technology”. I’d argue this is also why their warranty is not as good as the S/X.

I really think the only “advanced” tech is in the AP computer and the MCU computer (hardware), both of which can be upgraded to parity. The next gen X and S may get up to 120kWh capacity which would allow 240kW charging at current “C rates”, they would basically call it 250 tho. So, in my opinion the only next gen benefit will be a little less time at a supercharger when using them and 20% more range, 400+ miles range on S and X!!!

The 3 treatment doesn’t seem to add much. You think they’ll lose the dual screen configuration in favor of the single smaller screen? I certainly don’t want that so if it happened the old ones would immediately have more value to me.

Battery cells are interesting tho, I am not convinced the 3 battery is any different in chemistry vs the others being made now. I think the size of the cell makes it cheaper to build (cost per kWh) but I don’t think it makes it more “durable”, if anything it creates hot spots right at the center of the cell (larger diameter) which can’t be measured or dealt with. I don’t think they are bad batteries but I don’t see them as an upgrade. Tesla internally decides what levels to charge at and the smaller M3 packs are cheaper to replace, in my opinion this is the real reason they do a higher max SC rate, not “superior technology”. I’d argue this is also why their warranty is not as good as the S/X.

I really think the only “advanced” tech is in the AP computer and the MCU computer (hardware), both of which can be upgraded to parity. The next gen X and S may get up to 120kWh capacity which would allow 240kW charging at current “C rates”, they would basically call it 250 tho. So, in my opinion the only next gen benefit will be a little less time at a supercharger when using them and 20% more range, 400+ miles range on S and X!!!

Per Elon, all batteries have the same chemistry, however the battery pack has better cooling in the 3 vs the S and X.

Once they reach 400 miles plus in range I won't care much about further improvement.

Reactions: ElectricLove
Per Elon, all batteries have the same chemistry, however the battery pack has better cooling in the 3 vs the S and X.

Once they reach 400 miles plus in range I won't care much about further improvement.

Agreed, 400 is more than enough, I really don’t care beyond 300 but 400 does sound really nice!

Yeah, maybe improved cooling but that can be done with a few extra upgrades (add another chiller to the battery coolant loop, for example); it doesn’t take a major overhaul of the design to get the battery temps a little lower. Similar to adding intercoolers for turbos or for transmissions on tow vehicles. So, at least to me, the Model 3 battery is not “better” than the S or X battery, just cheaper to build and replace. I’d even argue the slightly smaller diameter of the 18650 cells is a benefit because the internals of the cell are closer to the cooling interface, so internally they stay cooler (which isn’t measured, temp sensors are measuring at pack level or cell level but not the internals of the cells themselves). But it’s likely negligible.

I showed up for my delivery this morning only to find the car still sitting in the same spot it has been for a week and a half dirty and covered in leaves. I can't even wrap my head around how lousy this whole experience has been. When I went inside they didn't have me on the schedule. They claimed the car was on some sort of hold because of an issue with the windshield washer level. They needed two weeks to get the car ready and still I walked into a poop show.

Glad to see you are making some headway. Doesn't seem right that they want to give you within a g note of what you paid.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
I showed up for my delivery this morning only to find the car still sitting in the same spot it has been for a week and a half dirty and covered in leaves. I can't even wrap my head around how lousy this whole experience has been. When I went inside they didn't have me on the schedule. They claimed the car was on some sort of hold because of an issue with the windshield washer level. They needed two weeks to get the car ready and still I walked into a poop show.

Glad to see you are making some headway. Doesn't seem right that they want to give you within a g note of what you paid.

Sounds like my ex-wife, but once you get in and rev her up, all the negatives disappear into the distance temporarily.

Sounds like my ex-wife, but once you get in and rev her up, all the negatives disappear into the distance temporarily.

Exxer, Bahahaha. I hope she doesn't read the forums. It's all good. I love the car, have some issues that Tesla is taking care of and some that I am just going to have done for myself like fixing the bad paint job on the bumper. I had some flaking of the clear on the wheels which they are fixing and I seem to have that vibration under acceleration which I was told was a TSB and that all TSB's would be addressed before delivery so lets see what happens.