Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered my first Tesla from their used inventory last Thursday and had the down payment and financing and everything else I needed the same day, but I have still yet to hear from Tesla about scheduling my delivery appointment and the wait is killing me....
I bought a low mile 2020 M3P for an amazing price, which was better than any dealer around here could even try to compete with and add in the EAP and extended warranty it was a risk worth taking and I am hoping the few horror stories you hear about are just the outlier...They sell thousands of these cars every year so I'm sure there are many many many more people extremely happy with their purchases than the few horrible experiences you read about...It is basically a $500 gamble(that's with no delivery fee) that I was willing to take.

I still think at the end of the day with the 10000 mile/1 year extended warranty, thousands of dollars worth of software upgrades, and piece of mind buying directly from Tesla is way better than dealing with dealerships who most likely will have some false advertised prices and add ons you have to fight to have removed and no warranty unless you want to pay $$$ for.

I'm trying to temper my expectation and hoping for the best....wish me luck.....I can't wait!!!!
IMG_9839.jpg

(Hopefully) picking up a 2021 Model S LR AWD tomorrow ...

Here is the delivery process as they explained it:

Code:
1) Upon arrival park in the spaces to the right.
2) You will see your new Tesla parked under the overhang with your name on the dash.
3) Check out your new Tesla, and when you're ready - press "Accept Delivery" in your Tesla App (If you are trading in, bring trade in keys and title (if applicable) to the Documents and Trade In Kiosk.
4) Review and sign the paperwork in your Tesla. Once signed, bring the documents to the kiosk.
5) Watch vehicle tutorials and get familiar with your Tesla while we register your car.
6) An advisor will affix your license plate and answer any questions about your Tesla at this time.
7) If you haven't done so already, please review the following link with educational resources about your new vehicle. https://www.tesla.com/support/meet-your-tesla
8) Lastly, please review the Used Tesla FAQs: https://www.tesla.com/support/ordering-used-tesla#vehicle-condition

Sounds reasonable enough so long as I can access and explore both the inside and outside of the vehicle before pressing "Accept Delivery" ... don't need much in the way of handholding - this is Tesla #3 - so as long as it passes my eyeball test, I'm good to go. It'll suck if I have to reject, since I'm taking a one-way flight to go get it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I presume you mean doing a pre-delivery inspection rather than a familiarization when you get there. Good luck!

Yeah, no way for me to do a PDI now. I’ve got to take a flight out to the delivery center tomorrow morning. So I can’t really do much till I’m there. Familiarization isn’t a concern — have both a 3 & X already, and expect my cloud profile to download from the 3. Let’s see what translates over! I’ve also had the privilege of playing with Plaids before so also comfy with the yoke.

Let’s see how this goes tomorrow. All should be fine unless the car is an absolute turd. I don’t expect that - had someone who knows someone check its service history and it hasn’t had any issues. Tesla’s pre-sale inspection also didn’t turn up anything.

When I saw the Title of this thread, all I could think to say was....

DON'T!

Why not? So far the process has been smooth as silk - every bit as good as my new Tesla deliveries. Even spoke to my advisor on the phone - called them, had a live person within 2 rings.

I really think the vast majority of issues are delivery/service center dependent.

Why not? So far the process has been smooth as silk - every bit as good as my new Tesla deliveries. Even spoke to my advisor on the phone - called them, had a live person within 2 rings.

I really think the vast majority of issues are delivery/service center dependent.
It's true that Tesla can be responsive when they want your money. One SA even stayed after work just to cold call me to offer a plaid on my driveway 3 hrs after dark on New Years Eve. He was honest, when pressed repeatedly, that this was a reject. I declined...

I cannot believe you would not be better off buying PP. A year warranty that may not be worth the paper it's printed on is a minimal advantage.

If they will let you inspect the car inside and out for an hour, that might make a difference, but difficult to impossible for new cars, so I think you have slim chance.

It's true that Tesla can be responsive when they want your money. One SA even stayed after work just to cold call me to offer a plaid on my driveway 3 hrs after dark on New Years Eve. He was honest, when pressed repeatedly, that this was a reject. I declined...

I cannot believe you would not be better off buying PP. A year warranty that may not be worth the paper it's printed on is a minimal advantage.

If they will let you inspect the car inside and out for an hour, that might make a difference, but difficult to impossible for new cars, so I think you have slim chance.
I can't speak for others, but the reason I went through Tesla for my first Tesla was multiple reasons over a dealership or PP

1. Price...I timed it perfectly and got a low mile Model 3 Performance for less than any advertised price in a 200 mile radius from either PP or dealership

2. Extended Warranty ...I don't know how or why a one year or extra 10,000 mile extended warranty would be a bad thing ???

3. Thousands of dollars in software..... Most of the used M3's had software upgrades, mine came with EAP at minimal cost

4. So far the simplest and easiest car purchase ever.... No shady dealer with hidden fees or add ons to battle

to me the pros far outweighed the cons and was well worth the $500 deposit gamble

Tesla sells thousands of these cars a year and it seems the bad stories are few and far between...I'm guessing 90% of the of the cars are more than what people expected...they wouldn't continue to churn their used inventory as fast as they do if it was a prevalent issue

I am ordered mine on Thursday and have my delivery appointment this Wednesday(can't wait!) we will soon find out if the gamble paid off

having said that, they could still improve the whole process or at least let you visit the car and put eyes on it before laying down the $500

Reactions: RNHurt

Again, sadly, I think that’s very much delivery center dependent. Both my 3 & X purchases (new) - I had no issue whatsoever inspecting the car as much as I wanted prior to signing or paying anything. Will be same experience here as well.

Whomever runs the California delivery centers needs to come spend some time up here in the NJ/PA/DE area to see how it’s really done.

I really have had a great experience both with purchase and ownership, across the board. Never have an issue reaching someone in service if I need, never have a problem with deliveries. Exactly how it should be.

I feel awful for folks like yourself who run into real roadblocks. Starting a relationship like that (and yes, car ownership really is a relationship) creates this adversarial tension which is WHOLLY unnecessary. So I get where you’re coming from, but it’s thankfully not a universal experience.

I preferred to purchase via Tesla due to price, equipment, solid warranty (I’ve never had a claim denied …) and yes, history of quality of service.

Lots of things not to like about living in NJ, but Tesla support isn’t one of them!

Reactions: M3_Performante
I can't speak for others, but the reason I went through Tesla for my first Tesla was multiple reasons over a dealership or PP

1. Price...I timed it perfectly and got a low mile Model 3 Performance for less than any advertised price in a 200 mile radius from either PP or dealership

2. Extended Warranty ...I don't know how or why a one year or extra 10,000 mile extended warranty would be a bad thing ???

3. Thousands of dollars in software..... Most of the used M3's had software upgrades, mine came with EAP at minimal cost

4. So far the simplest and easiest car purchase ever.... No shady dealer with hidden fees or add ons to battle

to me the pros far outweighed the cons and was well worth the $500 deposit gamble

Tesla sells thousands of these cars a year and it seems the bad stories are few and far between...I'm guessing 90% of the of the cars are more than what people expected...they wouldn't continue to churn their used inventory as fast as they do if it was a prevalent issue

I am ordered mine on Thursday and have my delivery appointment this Wednesday(can't wait!) we will soon find out if the gamble paid off

having said that, they could still improve the whole process or at least let you visit the car and put eyes on it before laying down the $500
hey there,... any update on your used M3P from Tesla? Does it pass your expectations, did you find any issues with the car that they didn't catch? I'm curious if they install new tires on their used inventory.

hey there,... any update on your used M3P from Tesla? Does it pass your expectations, did you find any issues with the car that they didn't catch? I'm curious if they install new tires on their used inventory.
Yeah, I plan on doing separate post about my experience buying from Tesla's used inventory...
I just picked her up this morning and was blown away how minty she was!!! Not one ding, dent or scratch...interior was perfect.
A few minor scuffs under front lip but that was about it.
In and out of there in 30 minutes....

couldn't be happier!!!
IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_9961.JPG

Yeah, I plan on doing separate post about my experience buying from Tesla's used inventory...
I just picked her up this morning and was blown away how minty she was!!! Not one ding, dent or scratch...interior was perfect.

couldn't be happier!!

Congrats - she's a beauty!! Enjoy the ride, the M3P is a whole lotta fun!!!

couldn't be happier!!! View attachment 906919

View attachment 906918
congrats good to hear you had a good experience and car looks mint, was did you pick this up in norcal or socal tesla used delivery center?