Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Model 3, new model 3 or Kia EV6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning. I am going to trade in my Ford F-150 Platinum in a few days and upgrade to a Tesla. I am thinking of getting a 2018 Model 3.

I have been reading much online for information on the Model 3. I am beginning to get a little Leary of a used one as most post seem to tell the bad side of the Tesla.

So I am considering ti perhaps ordering a new one or venture and take a gamble on the Kia EVG

Any comments supporting the used Model3

Good morning. I am going to trade in my Ford F-150 Platinum in a few days and upgrade to a Tesla. I am thinking of getting a 2018 Model 3.

I have been reading much online for information on the Model 3. I am beginning to get a little Leary of a used one as most post seem to tell the bad side of the Tesla.

So I am considering ti perhaps ordering a new one or venture and take a gamble on the Kia EVG

Any comments supporting the used Model3
If you don’t have to buy used; don’t.

Remember, those early Model 3’s were rushed out and built in a tent. Everything used is overpriced right now.

New M3’s have better build quality and additional features that are worth the price and the wait. Maybe see if an inventory vehicle pops up at Tesla

If you don’t have to buy used; don’t.

Remember, those early Model 3’s were rushed out and built in a tent. Everything used is overpriced right now.

New M3’s have better build quality and additional features that are worth the price and the wait. Maybe see if an inventory vehicle pops up at Tesla
Thanks..are the issues such that I should totally not buy a used one? Or just to be very cautious when inspecting

Thanks..are the issues such that I should totally not buy a used one? Or just to be very cautious when inspecting

Used cars in general are overpriced (likely one of the driving factors pushing you to sell your F 150, along with gas prices). There is NO "good value" in buying a used car right now (none of them).

The only people who should be contemplating used tesla model 3s are those who simply cant wait for some reason. There is not enough of a discount (or in some cases any discount).

My model 3 is a 2018 model year one, and while I am perfectly happy driving it, the new ones are progressively better with a lot of little changes. The value in used cars simply isnt there, and teslas in particular are very expensive used, especially when the answer is, you can simply order it new, and wait, and not have to sit in the finance office sweatbox talking about window etching, or seat treatments, or anything else.

Agree with the posts above, buy new if for nothing other than the minor (some more towards major depending) tweaks made to the car since 2018. Depends on the timing of things whether you want new new or something in the Tesla inventory. As far as whether to buy a M3 of the Kia I cannot speak to you at all about that car as I did zero research on it. I would be mildly surprised if someone on this forum directed you away from the M3 towards the Kia.

Reactions: BeeGood
Have you actually looked at the EV6 at any local dealerships near you? I can't find any that aren't adding a lot of dealer markups/installing unnecessary options to raise the price. My local Kia dealership was trying to sell their Wind trim for $67k. lol

Reactions: voxel
Agree with the posts above, buy new if for nothing other than the minor (some more towards major depending) tweaks made to the car since 2018. Depends on the timing of things whether you want new new or something in the Tesla inventory. As far as whether to buy a M3 of the Kia I cannot speak to you at all about that car as I did zero research on it. I would be mildly surprised if someone on this forum directed you away from the M3 towards the Kia.

Yeah the kia is more of a model Y competitor, at least in my opinion, due to the body type. It looks like a nice vehicle. Im already in the tesla ecosystem already. If I was considering an EV as a second car, with an ICE still around, I think I might give it a more deeper look. Charging network doesnt matter if the car is designated for commute to work and back or around town.

As the "only" vehicle, or considering going "all ev" though, in the US, the charging network still matters. Until or unless tesla opens that up to others, tesla will have a huge advantage there. I am not of the frame of mind to depend on electrify america.

Reactions: Thp3
My wife has a 2018 M3 LR AWD and we are extremely happy with it. In the last 3 1/2 years, it has gone to Tesla service once to replace an upper control arm (covered under warranty). The only other maintenance was 1 set of tires, 1 set of windshield wipers and 4 gallons of windshield washer fluid (my wife is neurotic about dirty windshields)

Not making any opinion on the current respective market value of used vs new. Just noting that our experience with a 2018 M3 has shown no issue of any problems. Any used car has more risk than new car, but I feel that any used 2018+ Tesla has much less risk than a comparable ICE model.

Yeah the kia is more of a model Y competitor, at least in my opinion, due to the body type. It looks like a nice vehicle. Im already in the tesla ecosystem already. If I was considering an EV as a second car, with an ICE still around, I think I might give it a more deeper look. Charging network doesnt matter if the car is designated for commute to work and back or around town.

As the "only" vehicle, or considering going "all ev" though, in the US, the charging network still matters. Until or unless tesla opens that up to others, tesla will have a huge advantage there. I am not of the frame of mind to depend on electrify america.

The other charging networks are pretty good in California metros. I have friends with other EVs and they've had no issues. I think if you were to do a long roadtrip to other states, then Tesla is the way to go but the occasional trip to LA won't really impact another EV vs. a Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Local dealers were trying to sell EV6 Winds at $73K+ (MSRP $53K)

That's MYP or M3P prices. lol.
That's insane! no way I would pay that kind of price above MSRP. I already have an SR on order to replace my M3P once the lease ends and looking for anything else that may be better come July, but it's looking like I'll just end up with this. I don't see any better option/deal. I'm also trying to keep in mind depreciation. I have a feeling both Hyundai and Kia will see a much larger depreciation than the Tesla (at least once this used car prices settle back down)

Have you actually looked at the EV6 at any local dealerships near you? I can't find any that aren't adding a lot of dealer markups/installing unnecessary options to raise the price. My local Kia dealership was trying to sell their Wind trim for $67k. lol
I have seen them. A local dealer has one and they also have the Niro. Both very nice. The Niro feels good, but feels small. The EV6 is impressive. Very sleek looking and interior pretty nice. Very dark inside. I will give points to Tesla for building the charging stations and recommendations into the Navigation ddystem

I was also looking at the kia it didn't feel as nimble and I'm not much of a SUV/SAV person. Everything not directly from Tesla has some markups I saw some Kia dealers with a $5-10k markup probably even more now. I really liked that the Kia had 110v out so you could use the car as emergency power that was the one thing I really wanted. Other than that it wasn't as fast or sporty as my long range. If you can't wait for the order process there are places snapping up used Tesla's like carshop.com or carvana.com etc. but there are some hefty markups. I didn't wait myself and found my 2022 LR with 1k miles for $56k I can't really complain though they gave me so much for my trade. I drove my old car for 4 years and only lost $2k on my trade in so I called it a wash with a little markup but more for my trade.

If used is what you need to do I wouldn't have any real reservation about buying one a couple years old. Most of the issues were probably taken care of by the previous owner so you wont have to deal with Tesla service. Also really no maintenance that was neglected like an ICE car. And a great 8 year 100-120k mile warranty on the important bits.

I would go drive a few and see what you like the best. There are a lot of nice EV's out now but it is a terrible time to buy so if you can wait then ordering one would save you the most money.

Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and voxel
Used cars in general are overpriced (likely one of the driving factors pushing you to sell your F 150, along with gas prices). There is NO "good value" in buying a used car right now (none of them).

This is why I sold My 2019 ICE and bought new. I made a decent profit - first time that I’ve owned a car for two years and didn’t lose a penny on it and came out with more than I paid for it - and new cars were cheaper than second hand.

Hyundai/Kia/Mercedes have a couple features I'd like including Augmented Reality HUD and Surround view camera. I haven't driven one yet though. Hyundai/Kia might be more interesting when their "GT" version comes out (600HP).

Last edited:
I almost went for an EV6, even had a Launch Edition pre-order, but I ended up canceling it because Kia was being so cagey with the specs they were bringing to the US (the specs on the EV6 website were changing constantly). I still waffled on it for 6 months until the official specs and pricing came out. I ended up comparing the M3LR to the EV6 Wind RWD (the AWD would have been a closer comparison but would have still lost out on power, range, and then been a wash on price, so the RWD gave more benefit to the EV6). The M3LR won out at +5 to the EV6's +1.5:

Model 3 LREV6 Wind RWD
358 mi range (win +1)310 mi range
346 HP (win +1)225 HP
$48490 price (after credits)$37000 price (after credits) (win +1)
Supercharger network (win +1)Generic charger network
Frequent software development, OTAs (win +1)Unknown software dev / OTAs
Known problematic QAUnknown QA (win, but only benefit of the doubt +0.5)
Sentry mode (win +1)No Sentry mode

As others have pointed out, the EV6 is definitely more of a competitor to the Model Y, but I still ended up comparing it to the Model 3 and the Genesis GV60 as well. Fundamentally the Hyundai group platform looks very promising - true 800V architecture, pretty wide range of performance options, and arguably superior value, especially in the face of the recent price increases on 3/Y.

That said at the end of the day, I'm Canadian and the supercharger network is so superior to the CCS network available for other EV's where I live that it wasn't that difficult of a choice to make. Its also worth keeping in mind the severe efficiency difference between the two platforms - the additional 1000 lbs and worse drag coefficient reduce the GMP vehicles range and efficiency in a major way. I don't think most people would go wrong in either camp frankly, and I still have a very early pre-order on a GV60 in case I decide to go though and buy one after all, but the cons aren't worth it for my situation, and they are inexcusable if you are stuck in the USA paying above MSRP for one.