Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Model 3, new model 3 or Kia EV6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Though the 2 years of free fast charging you get at Electrify America is a nice bonus on the Kia and Hyundai. For me supercharging is nice but this is my daily driver and will rarely if ever use a supercharger. The others do have some convenience as well. There are Kia dealers on every corner so I'm sure the service experience is much better. Even with those perks, 2 years free charging and a $7500 tax credit I still went with the Tesla :).

I'm kinda the reverse as I compared the Ioniq 5 / EV6 to the Model Y as they are closer in size (Model 3 is noticeably smaller). I don't think the $14k difference was justified so getting the Ioniq 5 instead. I also think that if you live in a place like California, charging network becomes a smaller consideration.

Sorry about this, it posted prior to me completing it. I meant to reply and quote OliverM3 above that the EV6 did not offer the free 2 years like the Hyundai's were. We all expected it to, but they didn't. This was also a factor in my decision as well. I agree it was difficult to walk away from the $7,00 tac credit (and in my state another $2,500).
Odd maybe it's a dealer thing? Because my coworker just bought a Kia EV6 GT-Line in New Jersey and he did get the free charging and not just 1000 miles.

Edit I guess you meant 1000kw it's 3 years with 1000KW limit which is 3-4k mile Kia EV6 Owners Get Three Years of Free Charging, but There’s a Catch
Doesn't looks the Hyundai had a limit besides the 30 minutes per charge.

Last edited:
Though the 2 years of free fast charging you get at Electrify America is a nice bonus on the Kia and Hyundai. For me supercharging is nice but this is my daily driver and will rarely if ever use a supercharger. The others do have some convenience as well. There are Kia dealers on every corner so I'm sure the service experience is much better. Even with those perks, 2 years free charging and a $7500 tax credit I still went with the Tesla :).
You would certainly want a supercharger network if you were planning on a long trip.

I have a 2018 Model 3 with 25K miles on it now. It's been 100% trouble-free. Only service item was to have the rear trans axles re-torqued. Fit n finish is as good as current models (from what I see in the showrooms). I have an early VIN - 11XXX and from what I heard, extra care was given to the early production units. Range is still above 300 at full charge.

Reactions: Pricedm
Have you actually looked at the EV6 at any local dealerships near you? I can't find any that aren't adding a lot of dealer markups/installing unnecessary options to raise the price. My local Kia dealership was trying to sell their Wind trim for $67k. lol
The Kia dealerships in SoCal are adding $7500-$15000 markups on them. Might as well look at a Porsche EV when your upwards of almost $70k

I am not sure what you mean to look at the GM battery but I owned a Leaf for 3 years prior to my current M3 and besides having a 150 mile range on my car, the car was flawless.
I had a Leaf, great car but when the battery got hot, it took forever to
charge, even the newest one had "chargegate" issue when hot. Also the batteries
degraded rather fast.
The Bolt had a major recall due to a battery defect.

Reactions: rpiotro
I test drove both the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the VW ID.4. The VW just didn't feel like it was all that well put together, I know people may disagree with me on that, however it just felt/looked cheap inside. It also didn't have that feeling of being planted to the road while on the Test drive. So we dropped it from our list of vehicles to consider. The Hyundai did feel good both the wife and I like the ride and the options it had for heads up display, automatic lane changes, and the parking assist. I just couldn't deal with the dealership though, they wanted $57K plus a $7k dealer markup. I went home and order the M3LR eventhough I'll be missing the $7.5K tax rebate. I'll still be money ahead. Not to mention the benefit of the supercharger network.
I must admit the 2 years of free DC fast charging on the Hyundai was tempting, but lets face it, I probably wouldn't have used it very much anyway.

I really like that there is pretty good competition out there now but let's face it, Tesla is still way ahead compared to other brands. I got the M3LR at the end of Feb 2022 and no regrets at all. Always looking forward to my next drive with the car or trying to create excuses to take it out for a spin :)

I really like that there is pretty good competition out there now but let's face it, Tesla is still way ahead compared to other brands. I got the M3LR at the end of Feb 2022 and no regrets at all. Always looking forward to my next drive with the car or trying to create excuses to take it out for a spin :)
I hear that I forced myself to take my Mini to work today because it hasn't been driven in 6 weeks.

New Teslas don't have radar, and a lot of people feel like auto pilot and traffic aware cruise control have much more phantom braking on them. Of course that could be fixed with a software update, but we've all been holding our breaths for autopilot fixes for years.

If I was going to buy used I would want one with the 2021 updates but early enough to still have the radar. I have no philosophical issues with vision-only cars; it's the 80mph limit on cruise control that I dislike. However, traffic where I live and my own driving habits would influence whether radar is nice to have or a hard requirement. In Washington (where I live) I could get buy with a 80mph cruise control limit of the radarless cars. In Texas (frequently visit) the roads are commonly marked 80mph and drivers seem to treat that as a minimum, there's just no way I would have a car with cruise control that couldn't keep pace with other drivers on the road.

If I was going to buy used I would want one with the 2021 updates but early enough to still have the radar. I have no philosophical issues with vision-only cars; it's the 80mph limit on cruise control that I dislike. However, traffic where I live and my own driving habits would influence whether radar is nice to have or a hard requirement. In Washington (where I live) I could get buy with a 80mph cruise control limit of the radarless cars. In Texas (frequently visit) the roads are commonly marked 80mph and drivers seem to treat that as a minimum, there's just no way I would have a car with cruise control that couldn't keep pace with other drivers on the road.
I think they just updated that to 90mph on vision or it is close due to some higher speed limits.

• Informative
Reactions: TunaBug
Looks like I'm one of the few people who bought used (a 2020 M3LR that had 12K miles), and I actually got a good deal. It cost me approximately $7k less (out the door) than new, so it was the right decision for me. Bought it just before the used car market went nuts, and even then I still got the same price for my trade in (a 2017 Lexus GS) that I paid for it (used) two years ago. Have only had it a few months, but it's been completely trouble-free. I briefly looked at the other models mentioned as well, but the benefit of the charging network with a Tesla was a huge factor.

If I were buying TODAY, it'd be new - hands down. The prices on the used ones now are simply insane - and if you have other transportation to use while you wait, it's really a no-brainer. Otherwise, you can get a used one sooner, but expect to pay a premium for the privilege. Good luck!

Reactions: tm1v2 and XPsionic
Looks like I'm one of the few people who bought used (a 2020 M3LR that had 12K miles), and I actually got a good deal. It cost me approximately $7k less (out the door) than new, so it was the right decision for me. Bought it just before the used car market went nuts, and even then I still got the same price for my trade in (a 2017 Lexus GS) that I paid for it (used) two years ago. Have only had it a few months, but it's been completely trouble-free. I briefly looked at the other models mentioned as well, but the benefit of the charging network with a Tesla was a huge factor.

If I were buying TODAY, it'd be new - hands down. The prices on the used ones now are simply insane - and if you have other transportation to use while you wait, it's really a no-brainer. Otherwise, you can get a used one sooner, but expect to pay a premium for the privilege. Good luck!
Mine was used as well a 2022 LR with 1k miles. There was a couple K markup which is still less than they're going for now. I did it so that I wouldn't have to wait 6 months.

Can folks spell out what features the newer years add, compared with the 2018 model 3? These are the ones I see:
  1. later years got a heat pump,
  2. later years lost radar.
  3. Fit and finish probably got better in later years
Double glazed windows on front sides - 2021, double glazed windows on all doors -2022. Heated steering wheel 2022, faster infotaiment CPU 2022, auto trunk 2021, CCS adapter capability 2019-2021, wireless phone charger (2021?), black exterior trim instead of chrome 2021, matrix headlights 2021.

Probably a few other small things, can't remember them all haha

Can folks spell out what features the newer years add, compared with the 2018 model 3? These are the ones I see:
  1. later years got a heat pump,
  2. later years lost radar.
  3. Fit and finish probably got better in later years
Even if your car has radar, soon Tesla will remove the functionality of it. Especially since they are even dropping it from the S/X. I likely got one of the last S's with radar.