Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Thinking of buying a Used Model 3 with about ~20k miles on it and curious on what I should ask to make sure the car is working at 100% still.

It's a 2017 high 500 VIN thats RWD, has EAP and is long range. He said its been in one accident (rear ended), Model 3 was going 5mph and the car that hit him was going about ~40mph, however says the car was fixed privately.

Possible I can have the car get checked by a Tesla dealership to make sure everything is OK? Car is selling for ~44k

Attaching some pictures

Thanks in advanced guys.

Reactions: P85_DA
You can get a new accident free Mid-Range model for less after $7,500 rebate plus a possible state rebate. I just configured the Mid-Range Black with EAP and it was $51k

I 2nd this. Tesla may also still have LR RWD in inventory - worth a try. (I know they are offering Ontario buyers LR RWD to take advantage of the rebate so there are definitely some out there.)

• Helpful
Hey that's my car!

I am asking 44K because I still owe 40K on the loan. Leaves room for someone to haggle me down. I do agree its asking a lot for the cars history but that's what I owe so that's what I have to ask.

Since there are a few people here ill ask. What does everyone think its worth? How about without the accident?

Also does anyone mind if I use this thread as ammo for a diminished value claim?

Feel free to ask any questions about the car, especially you OP.

Car was repaired at Service King in Fremont and I have the original estimate for the repairs. Working on getting the final one. Car has one more visit to the shop tomorrow to get the trunk aligned and the front bumper painted due to paint damage around the tow hook cover.

40MPH is an estimate. That is the speed limit on that road. They hit the brakes about 10-15 feet before hitting us. Everyone speeds on that road so I left it at 40MPH.

this thread as ammo for a diminished value claim?

If u were not at fault file a DV claim ..this thread is not valuable for proof u need an appraisal and some trade in estimates ..given history of car it’s probably valued high 30s with accident ..obviously u can try and get what you owe but I don’t think you will get takers ..a rear hit is big deal and sounds like u still got some panel alignment issues

I think the price is a little high now, but as soon as the tax credit is cut in half, which for someone looking to buy now is going to be very soon, then I think the price moves into the reasonable range. I could easily see $40k at least, and I think $44k is within the realm of possibility.

But I am probably a bit biased by the fact I will be selling my 3 in the spring so want to see the cars hold their value...

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: Jaywlker and P85_DA
If u were not at fault file a DV claim ..this thread is not valuable for proof u need an appraisal and some trade in estimates ..given history of car it’s probably valued high 30s with accident ..obviously u can try and get what you owe but I don’t think you will get takers ..a rear hit is big deal and sounds like u still got some panel alignment issues

I am trying to. It was in service at the time of the accident so I have to have Tesla file the claim and they have been less than helpful with that. I was going to send this to Tesla as proof that the claim needs to be done and the value has taken a hit. I shouldn't need to do that though as its pretty obvious its worth less now. The trunk and rear bumper fitment needs adjustment. Think that was just the car being rushed at the body shop though.

I think the price is a little high now, but as soon as the tax credit is cut in half, which for someone looking to buy now is going to be very soon, then I think the price moves into the reasonable range. I could easily see $40k at least, and I think $44k is within the realm of possibility.

But I am probably a bit biased by the fact I will be selling my 3 in the spring so want to see the cars hold their value...

True but I am paying for two Model 3s at the moment and would like to see this one gone ASAP. I am not looking to make money, I just don't want to pay for two of them.

I am trying to. It was in service at the time of the accident so I have to have Tesla file the claim and they have been less than helpful with that. I was going to send this to Tesla as proof that the claim needs to be done and the value has taken a hit. I shouldn't need to do that though as its pretty obvious its worth less now. The trunk and rear bumper fitment needs adjustment. Think that was just the car being rushed at the body shop though.

True but I am paying for two Model 3s at the moment and would like to see this one gone ASAP. I am not looking to make money, I just don't want to pay for two of them.

Tesla doesn’t file a DV claim you do against other parties insurance ...check out St Lucie appraisal he specializes in Tesla’s ... process is 1) get some good estimates of trade in ..use a certified appraiser 2) they normally will provide standard DV letters with proof of appraisals u send that to other insurance party as DV claim ..

Tesla doesn’t file a DV claim you do against other parties insurance ...check out St Lucie appraisal he specializes in Tesla’s ... process is 1) get some good estimates of trade in ..use a certified appraiser 2) they normally will provide standard DV letters with proof of appraisals u send that to other insurance party as DV claim ..

So that's the thing. An on the clock Tesla employee was driving the car at the time. Tesla was responsible for the repair. I tried to use my insurance and they were happy to help but they could only do so much as they were not involved. The person that hit us was not insured so my insurance company stopped at the point where they would have had to pay out. I need Tesla's insurance to pick up where my insurance had to stop.

Sorry OP if I took over your thread.

So that's the thing. An on the clock Tesla employee was driving the car at the time. Tesla was responsible for the repair. I tried to use my insurance and they were happy to help but they could only do so much as they were not involved. The person that hit us was not insured so my insurance company stopped at the point where they would have had to pay out. I need Tesla's insurance to pick up where my insurance had to stop.

Sorry OP if I took over your thread.

Yes sorry OP for hijacking ;)...you don’t have a DV claim than ... the other party who is not insured would be where u claim ..Tesla’s insurance will tell u to pack sand as they are paying for repairs but are not “at fault” at best u can sue Tesla or other party :( for your loss ..or just sell car to OP in mid 30s :eek::p and ditch it :oops:

Yes sorry OP for hijacking ;)...you don’t have a DV claim than ... the other party who is not insured would be where u claim ..Tesla’s insurance will tell u to pack sand as they are paying for repairs but are not “at fault” at best u can sue Tesla or other party :( for your loss ..or just sell car to OP in mid 30s :eek::p and ditch it :oops:

Tesla should sue the other party for my DV claim. Thats what insurance is for isnt it? My insurance was happy to do so until I told them that I was not driving and Teslas insurance was covering it.

Ill gladly sell the car for what its worth but at the moment I owe more (I hate uninsured drivers). I believe the driver that hit us should be paying out. So far they have got off scott free aside from losing their own car. I should just cancel my insurance since it seems to make no difference if you have it or not.

Hi guys,

Thinking of buying a Used Model 3 with about ~20k miles on it and curious on what I should ask to make sure the car is working at 100% still.

It's a 2017 high 500 VIN thats RWD, has EAP and is long range. He said its been in one accident (rear ended), Model 3 was going 5mph and the car that hit him was going about ~40mph, however says the car was fixed privately.

Possible I can have the car get checked by a Tesla dealership to make sure everything is OK? Car is selling for ~44k

Attaching some pictures

Thanks in advanced guys.
Don’t touch it without Tesla checking it over. It seems like Tesla could match you with a car for almost the same money. You’d have the newer springs, too.

• Love
I’m not sure what ur damages came out to ..if anything Tesla insurance will try to recover their amount paid but there is a point of diminishing returns on uninsured drivers once u start adding in lawyer fees ..Tesla insurance has zero incentive to try and claim DV for u ..as they will have hard enough time trying to get what was paid out if anything .. ..if u want honest reasonable value of car take to CarMax and see what they will offer with a car with accident record ..my money says mid-high 30s :(..keep in mind 2019s most likely being built now ..so your car is essentially 2years old with accident