TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Buying Used *not* from Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JonnyTnT, Oct 6, 2019.

1. JonnyTnT

JonnyTnT New Member

Hi All,
    I am looking at a couple of cheap P85s, *really* cheap as in ~20K. But the closest one is ~700 miles away. Before pulling the trigger on one of these puppies I'd like to know:
    1. is there some kind of checklist for buying used Teslas
    2. can the club arrange to do some kind of inspection of used Teslas (like the Porsche Club does)
    3. has anyone (other than Hoovie) purchased a cheap used one *not* from Tesla and lived to tell the tale?
    4. anything I haven't thought of
    Thanks much,
    JonnyT

2. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

1. Check that all handles extend;
    2. Assure that UMC is included, as well as two adapters, plus the J1772 adapter
    3. Get a 90% charge to see the battery degrade value;
    4. Make sure you can find the tow hook inside the car;
    5. Understand if there is lifetime supercharging that goes with the car - maybe get a printout from the owner's Tesla.com account showing its status;
    6. Know when the warranty period is up (i.e. when did the owner take delivery);
    7. Get accurate status of the type of autopilot you will be getting, some have none, some have regular autopilot (I'm not sure if the P85 could be had with FSD);
    8. Get a good measurement of the tire tread depth -- those tires can get worn quickly;
    9. Verify that AC is working, and any 'sub-zero' heating features work;
    10. Get two key fobs;
    11. The usual stuff you check when you get a used car.

3. kavyboy

kavyboy Active Member

Check if it's on a salvage title. If it is, Tesla basically won't touch it - no supercharging, no repairs, no warranty. It's possible to get Tesla to re-certify the car, but I don't know what the expense and processes is like.

4. JonnyTnT

JonnyTnT New Member

Thank you both. The car I'm considering is in Spokane, WA.

Rich (of Rich Rebuilds) suggests getting a "2015 Plus" spec car. Google is not forthcoming, can anyone tell me what that is? Thanks.

5. dark cloud

dark cloud Active Member

Search this forum for plus suspensions. Is a P85+ really ~20K?