Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used or new Model X - Please help me decide

Help me decide between used CPO or new Model X

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decisions,,,Decisions….Decisions !!
Help me decide between two used CPO cars or a new Model X.

NOTE: First time creating a poll. Not sure how the '3' is showing up as an option. It will not let me edit or delete this poll. Also the drawback with the poll is , it will not let people post the reason why they picked one of the 3 options in there.

Last edited:
As a new Tesla owner (2 weeks in!), I went through the EXACT same thought process your poll asks. I ended up going with a 2017 75d with 15k miles. It has every option, including FSD, but only 5-seats and I bought it from a private party for $62k.
I quickly eliminated the 90d after reading about battery degradation, but more than that the minimal mileage gain was not worth the additional $$.
While I love the idea of a new MX, they haven’t added any features that really matter and the additional mileage wasn’t worth paying 50% more than a used one.
I was patient and eventually got lucky. I found a car with everything I wanted that is in INSANELY good condition. So far, no regrets.

Reactions: nomad415
its really tough to compare a used 75 to a new long range if cost is of any consideration..
A new Raven is far superior in every way, and it is actually priced extremely competitively compared to the 100d or 100DL.
Not trying to be sarcastic, please elaborate on “in every way”. They are basically the same car except for range. Identical exterior and interior (I prefer the interior of my 2017 75d, black with carbon fiber which is now only available in performance), they both have the same FSD, etc.

Interesting results on the Poll so far.....out of 19 votes. The 90D gets Zero, 75D gets 4 and 15 votes for the 2020 RAVEN.
You folks want me to spend more and get the new 2020 Raven :)
I agree that its not a fair comparison betw used and new. Cost is a consideration, hence I am looking at used cars as well.
Please keep the opinions flowing. I have two days to finalize. Hard decision to make. Meanwhile I am tracking a 2017 100D as well.

I wanted to educate myself on the RAVEN....came across this blog The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther

As a new Tesla owner (2 weeks in!), I went through the EXACT same thought process your poll asks. I ended up going with a 2017 75d with 15k miles. It has every option, including FSD, but only 5-seats and I bought it from a private party for $62k.
I quickly eliminated the 90d after reading about battery degradation, but more than that the minimal mileage gain was not worth the additional $$.
While I love the idea of a new MX, they haven’t added any features that really matter and the additional mileage wasn’t worth paying 50% more than a used one.
I was patient and eventually got lucky. I found a car with everything I wanted that is in INSANELY good condition. So far, no regrets.

Wow. That’s a really good deal

Thanks for sharing how you went about selecting the vehicle you purchased. That's the power of forums. Congrats on your purchase, you got a great deal. Used car purchase needs a lot of patience. I haven't spent much time looking at private party or non-tesla sources. I have been focused on Tesla Used car as my source for past few months.

I was in the same boat, New or Used. Ended up going with new LR, Raven, 5 seater. Range, full warranty, updated mcu, suspension, etc were all factors in my decision. I also couldn't find a used X that had my desired features that wasn't almost the same price as a new X.

Looks like your answer is revealing in front of you.
First thought. For a reasonable buy in. go with the less expensive option. If budget is tight, this helps get into ownership of a Tesla and is always a good option.
Second thought. If you have a budget that allows flexibility, shoot for the longest range for you won't be disappointed. Besides, the new technology is always something to consider with the latest vehicle.
Third thought. The 3 is an awesome car! (JK I know it was a mistake)

Best of luck. you can't go wrong with any Tesla. Loved and actually miss my first S but Wife is most happy with our Model X.

Depends what you intend to do with the X. I bought a used P90DL from Tesla even after reading all of the negative battery posts (and every other negative post about early 2016 models). My wife drives it to drop off and pick up kids at school and I drive it on the weekends. Accelerates like a Lamborghini, hauls kids like an Odyssey, and drives itself when I want it to. FWDs work flawlessly and I have no real problems with it. Perhaps the previous owner had everything fixed? 90% is 212 miles on 22’s and I’m good with that.

if the lower prices option fits your needs then nothing wrong with saving a few bucks. If not then buy a new one. You can’t go wrong no matter which vehicle you pick. If you do decide to buy used, I am a big believer in buying used from Tesla for the warranty.

Reactions: gaswalla
I am struggling with a similar decision. I have a couple of years of chauffeuring a couple of boys and their friends around, then done. Test drove both the X and 3 recently and loved them both, but obviously different experiences.

Work from home, most driving is < 40 miles a day, sometimes up to 100 miles a day for far away practices etc.

Leaning towards a used X, even a 60D I think would be sufficient most of the time. I can see us also potentially getting a 3 for my wife, who commutes every day > 60 miles and we could use that on weekends for longer trips where we aren't ferrying a brood.

Thanks for all your responses. Majority of the votes suggested new raven 2020 model X.
It's something that I am not comfortable paying and I wanted to buy used to take advantage of depreciation.
for now I have decided to wait it out until all of the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade confusion settles.