Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Tesla Y or X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to buy a used Tesla. I'm torn between a 2021 Model Y LR with 5,000 miles or a 2016 X with close to 50,000 miles. I worry about the warranty issues. I am very new to the Tesla game and have no idea if there are issues with either of these models. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2021 Y and 2020 X. I would highly recommend the Y. It will be such a better vehicle in almost every way. And do you really want to own a Model X out of warranty with all the crazy doors and automatic stuff? It could get expensive fast. Even our 2020 X the road noise is WAY louder than the Y. Front interior layout is just bad (cup holders, no storage, etc).

The only pluses for the X are size (but then it's WAY less efficient which will also cost you more electricity) and the FWD are very cool and practical and I enjoy them a lot. Also more cargo space of course but it's just not worth it.

Agree that Y is a better vehicle unless you have a need for the extra space in the X. The only thing I don't like about the 3/Y is the ride quality and removal of basic AP features that were included in the AP1 models.

I have a 2021 Y and 2020 X. I would highly recommend the Y. It will be such a better vehicle in almost every way. And do you really want to own a Model X out of warranty with all the crazy doors and automatic stuff? It could get expensive fast. Even our 2020 X the road noise is WAY louder than the Y. Front interior layout is just bad (cup holders, no storage, etc).

The only pluses for the X are size (but then it's WAY less efficient which will also cost you more electricity) and the FWD are very cool and practical and I enjoy them a lot. Also more cargo space of course but it's just not worth it.
Out of warranty was my main concern! I was looking more at the X's 6 person seating, but I can sacrifice that.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
I'm going to buy a used Tesla. I'm torn between a 2021 Model Y LR with 5,000 miles or a 2016 X with close to 50,000 miles. I worry about the warranty issues. I am very new to the Tesla game and have no idea if there are issues with either of these models. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It is really a no brainer, the Model Y is vastly superior.

Have both a 2021 MYLR and a 2016 P90D X. The Y is much more up to date, silent and efficient than the X. But it really depends on the use. We have 4 kids, started with the 7 seat MY, but access to 3rd row is too cumbersome for daily use. Thats where the 6 seater X is much better. But if you dont need the extra space (very marginal) go for the Y. I already spent 8k$ on control arms, links, door latches, window regulators, etc on the X. And anticipate dropping more money on it short term.

Have both a 2021 MYLR and a 2016 P90D X. The Y is much more up to date, silent and efficient than the X. But it really depends on the use. We have 4 kids, started with the 7 seat MY, but access to 3rd row is too cumbersome for daily use. Thats where the 6 seater X is much better. But if you dont need the extra space (very marginal) go for the Y. I already spent 8k$ on control arms, links, door latches, window regulators, etc on the X. And anticipate dropping more money on it short term.
Thank you so much for this. I'm going with the Y.

I was looking at the same choice last summer, and opted to go Model X.

My Model X came from FL, and I drove it home to the Twin Cities. It immediately went to Tesla for a check, because it wasn't charging at appropriate speeds, and they ended up swapping the pack. It was done under warranty, so not a big deal. I had a loaner Y for the three weeks it took my local service center to get the replacement pack in.

I would almost always choose the Model X. Sure, the Y has updated tech compared to my MCU1/AP1 Model X. Sure, it is under warranty for longer.

That being said, I find the ride comfort and quality to be VASTLY superior on the X. The seating is more comfortable as well. For the way I like/want to drive, AP1 is perfect. My kids (4 and 6 yrs old) are in boosters, and have more leg room in the X as well. The Falcon Doors are a dream for them getting in and out.

Where the Y has the biggest advantages, IMO, are range and charging speed. Generally, the range isn't a major concern for me. The X handles all of my normal usage habits w/o issue. Supercharging at a slower rate is not the end of the world, because I really just don't need to Supercharge that often.

At this point, based on what I paid for my '16 Model X P90D and what the price was at the time for a brand new Model Y, I'm happy with my choice. Based on the price increases the entire Tesla lineup has seen, I'm very very happy with my choice.

I am in somewhat of a similar predicament in that I have a 2022 Model Y coming in the next month (hopefully). I've already paid for it. I am contemplating whether it makes sense to pay a bit of a premium (maybe ~$20K) to instead get a 2019 Standard Range Raven X - 5 seater. The Model Y test drive was ok, but we're coming from a 2018 Audi Q7 (non-air) and like a relatively comfortable ride. I've driven a 2017 Model S for a month - and do appreciate the air suspension.

Given the older tech, I'm struggling to decide if paying a premium for something older, albeit a bit more plush is worth it.

If you wait long enough and shop around you can find a good option, I was in between Y and X, but found 7 seater X still under warranty with 29k miles from Tesla for just $5k more than Y with 15k miles on it. Of course 2018 X won't be as efficient, quick etc as 2021 Y, but it is X, so who cares :) More car for almost the same money :) I've been looking for it for 4 months :)

Reactions: El joe and henderrj
They are two completely different vehicles. We one both. The X is a true diva car and really has some nice features that can't be overlooked. I think the Y is a great compromise between the two. I'm no expert on the year models but I have read that the 2018 is more robust than previous years. 2016 is the first years the X came out. I will say I 'v seen more FWD door jam marks (paint removed) on the door jams of 2017 models or older. I haven't seen any on our 2018. Never had any problem with our FWD function. I'm not saying the FWD are an issue with older X but something to consider. The Easter egg was not playing correctly at one time and they did do some FWD adjustments or repair and now the easter egg plays with no problem. I have had the front half shaft's replaced under warranty due to the vibration. We are on a Tesla extended warranty with over 75,000 miles on the car. You may be concerned without being in warranty but I would believe in CA, you could find shops that may be much cheaper doing repairs than Tesla. I don't think you will go wrong with the purchase of any of the two. I understand that the Model X is the quickest selling used car whereas it doesn't stay on the lot or in the market that long. So, if you didn't like the X, you may be able to flip it with ease.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Our 2017 6 seater X has been out of warranty for 6 months, I have no real concerns about longterm ownership and plan to keep it atleast till 2025, maybe longer.

We could trade it in now for a LR Model Y for zero cost but am not sure why we would do that.

The only real appeal of the Y is longer range, but we live in middle England, where 150 miles in any direction pretty much gets you to edge of the country.

Quite a few people now have the Y, and 3s are literally every where, great cars but why would we losses all the extra passenger space, powered doors, and the massive windscreen for extra range we don't use or need?

I would love to replace our X with a Plaid refresh, but cost and zero availability here in the England is a major issue.

If you have never owned a X, on paper I think the Y wins. As Elon once said the X is a Faberge egg, unnecessary, over the top, but who tries to remebers the practical/boring parts of life? I love our X for the drama and occasional it brings to something as mundane/utilitarian as carrying 6 people in the car. To this day I still wonder how on earth those rear door work at ever single school drop off, and didn't we all want to astronauts at one stage in life!!

I look at 3/Ys and think those are great practical cars, I look at our X and just help but smile, that for me is the most important bit of ownership, enjoyment/fun/emotion :).

49954815393_61d860bd0a_c_d.jpg

New to the club, seriously looking at used Model Xs. I’m having trouble finding the options list of what was available in the 2016/2017 models.
I don’t know that a 90D would have the range I need, especially as it gets older but knowing there’s a standard and premium to the suspension, stereo system, etc, can anyone help me find such a list?

New to the club, seriously looking at used Model Xs. I’m having trouble finding the options list of what was available in the 2016/2017 models.
I don’t know that a 90D would have the range I need, especially as it gets older but knowing there’s a standard and premium to the suspension, stereo system, etc, can anyone help me find such a list?
The easiest thing to do might be to take a VIN and run it through the EV-CPO list, even if it's not one that's for sale, for whatever model year(s) you're looking at. You'll see a list of all the options codes, and that will help you determine which ones matter, and then can use that to validate vehicles for sale.

I know there's a page out there from Tesla Tap or similar that details all the incremental changes along the way, but I can't find it this morning.

I’ve opted to buy a used model X. I’ll be buying it from a private party that is far enough away that I’ll likely need to charge on the trip home. Can anyone shed some light on how I can charge at a Tesla charging station immediately after a purchase?
How does the account setup tie in to vehicle registration?