Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Tesla Y or X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve opted to buy a used model X. I’ll be buying it from a private party that is far enough away that I’ll likely need to charge on the trip home. Can anyone shed some light on how I can charge at a Tesla charging station immediately after a purchase?
How does the account setup tie in to vehicle registration?

A few people have been burned by this. See if the seller would be willing to leave his credit card on the account until you get home with the understanding that you will reimburse him (or even pay up front) for any charging fees accrued.

It takes a few days for the account info to transfer over and you may find yourself stuck while traveling home. Another option is to look and see if there are any level 2 chargers you can make use of along the way. It will take longer to charge but you will be able to make it home.

A few people have been burned by this. See if the seller would be willing to leave his credit card on the account until you get home with the understanding that you will reimburse him (or even pay up front) for any charging fees accrued.

It takes a few days for the account info to transfer over and you may find yourself stuck while traveling home. Another option is to look and see if there are any level 2 chargers you can make use of along the way. It will take longer to charge but you will be able to make it home.
Ok, so if I stopped at an Electrify America for example and used a Tesla adapter, that would work since it’s a different pay source?

Ok, so if I stopped at an Electrify America for example and used a Tesla adapter, that would work since it’s a different pay source?

Yes - but you would need to make sure it's a Level 2 charger (J-1772) and not DCFC (Level 3).

Start with A Better Route Planner (www.abetterrouteplanner.com) to get a good idea of how much additional charge you will need for your trip. Then check plugshare.com to see if any Level 2 chargers (green pins) are available along your route.

Best bet is to see if current owner will leave his card on the account OR if it's his only Tesla, allow you to add your card to his account.

OP should consider an S. It has the space of a Y, quieter than X or Y. Rides better than X or Y. Cheaper than X. Looks nicer than X or Y. More efficient than X or Y. Faster than X or Y. S is cheaper than an X.

I’ve opted to buy a used model X. I’ll be buying it from a private party that is far enough away that I’ll likely need to charge on the trip home. Can anyone shed some light on how I can charge at a Tesla charging station immediately after a purchase?
You can create an account before pickup. They can transfer the car to your account and happens almost immediately. If they release the car from the account without transferring, it could take a week or so to prove you own it.

Reactions: basilray
You can create an account before pickup. They can transfer the car to your account and happens almost immediately. If they release the car from the account without transferring, it could take a week or so to prove you own it.
This is the way.

I live in Minnesota and bought my X from a private seller in Florida. Zero complications if you follow the release process.

Effectively, the seller needs to login to their Tesla account in a web browser and hit "Delete" on the vehicle. When they do that, it asks for the email address of the buyer. It will also do a factory reset on the vehicle.

This is the way.

I live in Minnesota and bought my X from a private seller in Florida. Zero complications if you follow the release process.

Effectively, the seller needs to login to their Tesla account in a web browser and hit "Delete" on the vehicle. When they do that, it asks for the email address of the buyer. It will also do a factory reset on the vehicle.
Thank you!

New to the club, seriously looking at used Model Xs. I’m having trouble finding the options list of what was available in the 2016/2017 models.
I don’t know that a 90D would have the range I need, especially as it gets older but knowing there’s a standard and premium to the suspension, stereo system, etc, can anyone help me find such a list?
I think if car came with PUP (premium package) it included all fancy things you're looking for, search here, there's lots of threads about it.
Easiest way i found to tell is to look at dashboard, if the front strip is alcantara then it has PUP.

Make sure the car is transferred from his account to yours before you leave. It sometimes takes 20 mins to reflect. Verify your account. Don’t leave without confirming. There is a link on his account to transfer ownership.

Make sure the car is transferred from his account to yours before you leave. It sometimes takes 20 mins to reflect. Verify your account. Don’t leave without confirming. There is a link on his account to transfer ownership.
I reached out to the seller to see if he was familiar with transferring, he said he would just cancel his ownership then I could sign up at Tesla.com. I offered that I’d heard of a transfer function on the app to which he replied that it could be done from the app or website. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I reached out to the seller to see if he was familiar with transferring, he said he would just cancel his ownership then I could sign up at Tesla.com. I offered that I’d heard of a transfer function on the app to which he replied that it could be done from the app or website. 🤷🏼‍♂️
It will prompt when he actually does “remove car” from his account. Sounds like he’s clueless. Make sure you have a backup plan.

It will prompt when he actually does “remove car” from his account. Sounds like he’s clueless. Make sure you have a backup plan.
He removed the car from his app and thought that was good. I called him on the drive home when I knew I wouldn’t make it. We walked through the removal process over the phone. A big thank you to those that posted the how-to article! It was obvious he isn’t familiar with modern technology including anything Tesla.

I should have pressed for more info on what charger came with the model X because all it had was a 1st gen 120v charger.
I stopped at a dealership to see what chargers/adapters they had. I bought a new charger kit with the 120v head and the J1772 adapter. Then ordered the 240v head on the app. I’ll be charging it at work tomorrow, I hope that goes well or I’ll have to get a ride home, lol.

This is an interesting thread - I’m in a slightly different boat and would appreciate some opinions. I’ve got 4 kids height ranges infant to 55 inches. I have a Model Y on order, and they’re about to cancel it since I haven’t taken delivery.
I am interested in going all electric for all my vehicles, but I am also driven by function over form. For example, a $120k X vs a $50k minivan, minivan wins easy.

I am in need of another commuter and a family car. I have ‘reservations’ for the Volvo EX90, R1S, and CyberTruck (assuming it keeps the double bench design and seats 6), will likely take whichever arrives first.

My debate for a commuter (220 mile range min):

Used Model S 2015 with rear facing jump seats, free supercharging, $40k. (Never driven one, never tried the rear facing seats)

New Model Y 7-seater, $70k (Like the tech, dislike the third row, seat folding mechanisms, and after a weekend with one to my dismay, my entire family said they’d rather have a minivan, even my minivan-hating wife).

Used Model X, in the $70k range (really not a fan of the FWDs, and cost to maintain all the motorized components)

New Model 3, $50k (sacrificing ability to fit whole family)

The market is changing rapidly, so interested in some fresh takes focused on the cars above ability to satisfy as a daily commuter, and occasionally move people.

Used Model S 2015 with rear facing jump seats, free supercharging, $40k. (Never driven one, never tried the rear facing seats)...

I wouldn't rely on rear facing seats especially when the car is rear-ended...

New Model Y 7-seater, $70k (Like the tech, dislike the third row, seat folding mechanisms, and after a weekend with one to my dismay, my entire family said they’d rather have a minivan, even my minivan-hating wife).

Used Model X, in the $70k range (really not a fan of the FWDs, and cost to maintain all the motorized components)..
Both X and Y are too tight as a 7 seater car. It's OK for 2 little kids in the back.

Too small to fit the whole family.

From spacious seats to tight:
Cybertruck
X
Y

I wouldn't rely on rear facing seats especially when the car is rear-ended...

Both X and Y are too tight as a 7 seater car. It's OK for 2 little kids in the back.

Too small to fit the whole family.

From spacious seats to tight:
Cybertruck
X
Y
This is an interesting thread - I’m in a slightly different boat and would appreciate some opinions. I’ve got 4 kids height ranges infant to 55 inches. I have a Model Y on order, and they’re about to cancel it since I haven’t taken delivery.
I am interested in going all electric for all my vehicles, but I am also driven by function over form. For example, a $120k X vs a $50k minivan, minivan wins easy.

I am in need of another commuter and a family car. I have ‘reservations’ for the Volvo EX90, R1S, and CyberTruck (assuming it keeps the double bench design and seats 6), will likely take whichever arrives first.

My debate for a commuter (220 mile range min):

Used Model S 2015 with rear facing jump seats, free supercharging, $40k. (Never driven one, never tried the rear facing seats)

Used Model X, in the $70k range (really not a fan of the FWDs, and cost to maintain all the motorized components)

The market is changing rapidly, so interested in some fresh takes focused on the cars above ability to satisfy as a daily commuter, and occasionally move people.

I debated the Y, even before the 7 seat was actually being produced. Ultimately, they raised the price to where it no longer made sense for me given how much more I liked the X. I ended up w/ a 2016 X and have been very happy with it.

The S with rear facing seats will work for an occasional trip, but you'll spend a lot of time helping load the kids in and out. There may be concerns about the temperature back there on long trips as well. That being said, I had my (at the time) almost 2.5 and 4yr olds back there for extended drives in FL as a rental, and it worked out nicely. Definitely would suggest you try before you commit. As for safety, the Model S is a very safe car, and there should be some extra reinforcement that goes in w/ a properly installed rear facing seat. Barring a catastrophic rear-ending, I don't forsee a major safety issue w/ the kind of passenger that would fit back there comfortably.

With 4 kids, I think the 6 seat X is the best pick for comfort and ease of use. That's where I landed, making it great for when I need to grab the kids and have other relatives hop in.

If you have to load people in the back the FWDs are fab. Ours is used every day for the school run, and on family road trips it makes carrying 6 people so easy. Interestingly the FWDs have been the most reliable part of our X, they feel (I suspect are) the most over engineered part of the car.

For 'value' there is no denying a $50k mini van will do the same job, but than again a $10K mini van is probably as good, so at somepoint you have to draw a line....and forgetting all about $$$$ for one minute, life is for living, and there literally is no other car like the X on the road.

52217347983_c489aa3ee2_k_d.jpg

Interestingly the FWDs have been the most reliable part of our X,
That’s good to know. They certainly do seem like a polarizing feature. I suppose I should reserve judgment until I rent an X and try them out. To be honest though, if the X had sliding doors like a minivan, I’d have gone that route without hesitation. I imagine I’m in the vast minority there.

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston
I'm going to buy a used Tesla. I'm torn between a 2021 Model Y LR with 5,000 miles or a 2016 X with close to 50,000 miles. I worry about the warranty issues. I am very new to the Tesla game and have no idea if there are issues with either of these models. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Why would you ever buy a car with 50,000 miles on it?