Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Tesla Y or X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just askn' why you'd buy a ~high milage ish car prolly no warranty all Tesla prices are dropping, so much it's actually unprecedented. I've never seen a market that was so strong litterally collapse. My friend just purchased Car Guru 2022 MX LR in San Diego White w/cream 5 seat configuration with the premium wheels no FSD 460 miles for $106,500.

• Disagree
Reactions: brainhouston
Just askn' why you'd buy a ~high milage ish car prolly no warranty all Tesla prices are dropping, so much it's actually unprecedented. I've never seen a market that was so strong litterally collapse. My friend just purchased Car Guru 2022 MX LR in San Diego White w/cream 5 seat configuration with the premium wheels no FSD 460 miles for $106,500.
maybe cause OP doesn't have extra 40k lol
did u even read first post??

Reactions: splffgates
By this logic, I would assume that you would not recommend anyone taking delivery on a brand new Tesla either, if the barely used market is so buyer friendly? I haven’t been tracking used markets as much, but do have a new Y ready for delivery tomorrow. Not sure I want it if resale values are collapsing.

By this logic, I would assume that you would not recommend anyone taking delivery on a brand new Tesla either, if the barely used market is so buyer friendly? I haven’t been tracking used markets as much, but do have a new Y ready for delivery tomorrow. Not sure I want it if resale values are collapsing.
Hes being over dramatic, but yes the resale of your new vehicle is going to be pretty abysmal right now. Brand new teslas are not getting above MSRP or even MSRP right now. Welcome to a normal car market!

Times have changed. Over the past couple years, many Tesla owners could sell their used cars for more than they paid for them. Now things are normalizing and most should expect to see depreciation of new cars. Due to long wait times, some new owners are still able to take delivery at prices significantly less than current prices, as Tesla has generously agreed to deliver at the prices originally ordered.

This is an interesting thread - I’m in a slightly different boat and would appreciate some opinions. I’ve got 4 kids height ranges infant to 55 inches. I have a Model Y on order, and they’re about to cancel it since I haven’t taken delivery.
I am interested in going all electric for all my vehicles, but I am also driven by function over form. For example, a $120k X vs a $50k minivan, minivan wins easy.

I am in need of another commuter and a family car. I have ‘reservations’ for the Volvo EX90, R1S, and CyberTruck (assuming it keeps the double bench design and seats 6), will likely take whichever arrives first.

My debate for a commuter (220 mile range min):

Used Model S 2015 with rear facing jump seats, free supercharging, $40k. (Never driven one, never tried the rear facing seats)

New Model Y 7-seater, $70k (Like the tech, dislike the third row, seat folding mechanisms, and after a weekend with one to my dismay, my entire family said they’d rather have a minivan, even my minivan-hating wife).

Used Model X, in the $70k range (really not a fan of the FWDs, and cost to maintain all the motorized components)

New Model 3, $50k (sacrificing ability to fit whole family)

The market is changing rapidly, so interested in some fresh takes focused on the cars above ability to satisfy as a daily commuter, and occasionally move people.
We have 5 kids, MX is a 6 seater. You have to have something your whole family and your stuff fit it. I’m quite certain after a trip to a wedding 3 hours away there is little hope we could have fit sour stuff in the MX even if it was the 7 seater. maybe a summer wedding? Rear facing car seats were not considered when design the MX. at 6’ tall I can not enter the front seat if the rear facing car seat is behind me in the second row. So you have to have a minivan equivalent. The MX is not this. So you need a commuter. Would you consider a Bolt? Ionic 5??

Look you don’t need a 6 seater commuter. You won’t super charge hardly at all if you have home charging even if the SC is free.

Someday there will be an electric minivan. My family probably won’t fit in it when it eventually does come out. My next stop is a Transit 350 or a Tesla semi;)

Would you consider a Bolt? Ionic 5??
I already have a 2018 leaf for one of our commutes. It has turned into our primary car because of how convenient and cheap it is to not have to get gas. It gets the majority of miles per day while the person staying local takes the family car. So yes, the most reasonable thing to do is just get another 5-seat commuter instead of a 6/7- seat commuter. Going that route certainly opens up quite a lot of possibilities. Just trying to have someone sell me on Tesla ownership since I have a Model Y delivery scheduled this week. Probably won’t take it despite it being based on March pricing, with $3750 off for December delivery.

Thanks for the note on the rear facing car seat in the X. At 6’ tall I can make it work on my Leaf with the car seat behind the driver, but couldn’t make the same rear facing seat work in the Y 7-seater. One of my biggest annoyances with it.

I wouldn’t argue against either the transit or Semi. Throw that RV attachment on the back of the Semi and y’all be riding in style. A stress free family ride is priceless.

I already have a 2018 leaf for one of our commutes. It has turned into our primary car because of how convenient and cheap it is to not have to get gas. It gets the majority of miles per day while the person staying local takes the family car. So yes, the most reasonable thing to do is just get another 5-seat commuter instead of a 6/7- seat commuter. Going that route certainly opens up quite a lot of possibilities. Just trying to have someone sell me on Tesla ownership since I have a Model Y delivery scheduled this week. Probably won’t take it despite it being based on March pricing, with $3750 off for December delivery.

Thanks for the note on the rear facing car seat in the X. At 6’ tall I can make it work on my Leaf with the car seat behind the driver, but couldn’t make the same rear facing seat work in the Y 7-seater. One of my biggest annoyances with it.

I wouldn’t argue against either the transit or Semi. Throw that RV attachment on the back of the Semi and y’all be riding in style. A stress free family ride is priceless.
Some manufacturer will come out with a big family centered BEV people mover at some point. Teslas selling points, the charging network, the software, the efficiency, the safety. Now is not a great time to buy with the new tax credits starting in a month.
How close are you to a service center? I’ve been wanting new front axels for 9 months but am over two away from the service center. Babies aren’t rear facing forever. Options really open up once they turn around.

How close are you to a service center?
I can’t say I’ve looked up a service center. But I drive by their plant in Fremont daily taking the kids to school. That’s another selling point for my kids actually… locally built. Still remember when they hadn’t delivered a single car out of that plant yet, and spotting one in the wild was a fun game. Now watching them move by the hundreds a day, also impressive. I do get the sense that Tesla customer service leaves a lot to be desired. That’s a really unfortunate but common oversight that could have really set Tesla apart as a brand. One of the biggest hesitations I have about buying an older S or X is dealing with the service organization.

I can’t say I’ve looked up a service center. But I drive by their plant in Fremont daily taking the kids to school. That’s another selling point for my kids actually… locally built. Still remember when they hadn’t delivered a single car out of that plant yet, and spotting one in the wild was a fun game. Now watching them move by the hundreds a day, also impressive. I do get the sense that Tesla customer service leaves a lot to be desired. That’s a really unfortunate but common oversight that could have really set Tesla apart as a brand. One of the biggest hesitations I have about buying an older S or X is dealing with the service organization.
I’m waiting for Vinfast to see if they will have a product that is reliable. The VF9 ticks a lot of boxes. I’m also waiting for the first Battery minivan.

Ford has the transit EV but it’s not in a passenger configuration. Buying a used S would be an option for me but not really when a Bolt is less and has a warranty. Tesla is cool. But coolness never factors in to my decision making process. I need value and efficiency (mostly to save time).