Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, just wanted to get a few pointers from current Tesla owners. I am looking to purchase a used Telsa p85 plus 2013. It has 60k miles and asking price is 61k? do you guys think this is a fair price? What are some things to look for to make sure car is solid. I am new to this electric car so any tips and pointers will we appreciated. Also the charging port in garage, I would need to hire a electrician to install a 240 volt, what is the difference between this and a NEMA 14-50?

Thanks in advance guys!

I just sold mine (a 2013 85), so a few things come to mind.

- The ESA (Extended Warranty Agreement). If you want it ($4k), and the car doesn't already have it, then the current owner will need to buy it, and transfer it to you ($100 fee). As the second owner, you cannot buy the ESA yourself. Many don't see much value in it, but it's a personal thing
- obviously check Carfax for history and so on. There's a lot of S's on the used market now, so there's no need to take one that's been in a wreck.
- Every buyer asked me what my battery degradation was. Nobody can really answer that as Tesla changed the charging algorithms several times, but the general consensus is that it's trivial. Potentially more significant is how often the car was range-charged, as that will have more of an impact on the battery.
- I had a NEMA 14-50 at the start, as the HPWC was in short supply. It just means you have to use the portable charging cable (and buy the 14-50 adaptor), which quickly becomes a PITA. Since the HPWC is cheaper now, I'd never use anything else.

I can't really talk to the price....seems a little steep to me based on age and miles, but I've not paid a lot of attention to the P85+'s.

Reactions: nikielizabeth
The price does seem a bit high. Also, I believe that unless the current owner has already purchased the ESA, it's too late, since the car is out of standard warranty.

NEMA 14-50 and 240V outlet are the same thing.

I just sold mine (a 2013 85), so a few things come to mind.

- The ESA (Extended Warranty Agreement). If you want it ($4k), and the car doesn't already have it, then the current owner will need to buy it, and transfer it to you ($100 fee). As the second owner, you cannot buy the ESA yourself. Many don't see much value in it, but it's a personal thing
- obviously check Carfax for history and so on. There's a lot of S's on the used market now, so there's no need to take one that's been in a wreck.
- Every buyer asked me what my battery degradation was. Nobody can really answer that as Tesla changed the charging algorithms several times, but the general consensus is that it's trivial. Potentially more significant is how often the car was range-charged, as that will have more of an impact on the battery.
- I had a NEMA 14-50 at the start, as the HPWC was in short supply. It just means you have to use the portable charging cable (and buy the 14-50 adaptor), which quickly becomes a PITA. Since the HPWC is cheaper now, I'd never use anything else.

I can't really talk to the price....seems a little steep to me based on age and miles, but I've not paid a lot of attention to the P85+'s.

I appreciate the detailed response!! Was searching online and found another one 45k miles for 59k. Both of the two I am looking at are p85 plus fully loaded. Seems like a better deal to me, but still don't know if it is a great price. KBB has it with the miles and same options at 45k. But from the ones I seem online they go for 60-85k. The on with 45k can I purchase the vehicle since it is still under warranty and take it to Tesla and purchase the extended? or does this have to be done through the original owner too. The HPWC seems a little above my price range to buy the unit and have it installed. I was just thinking of having a electrician come out and install a 240. Seems like it is going to be a tough job since the panel is in my kitchen and the garage is detached so I don't know how it will work. I have some knowledge on ICE vehicles but Just nervous going in to buy a used electric car since I have no idea where to even start to look for any wrong on the car.

I just purchased a CPO 2013 P85 32K Miles for $55,000 USD and received a full inspection, remaining battery and drive warranty and a four year, 50,000 miles pre-owned limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance. This car had NO Carfax reports and Tesla confirmed no issues.

Options
85kWh Battery
Performance Package
All Glass Panoramic Roof
21" Grey Wheels
Carbon Fiber Decor
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Tech Package
Smart Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Parcel Shelf
Paint Armor
Dual Chargers
Supercharger Enabled
Black Performance Interior
Red-Multi-Coat Pain

This car new would have been $100K or more.

Reactions: nikielizabeth
I just purchased a CPO 2013 P85 32K Miles for $55,000 USD and received a full inspection, remaining battery and drive warranty and a four year, 50,000 miles pre-owned limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance. This car had NO Carfax reports and Tesla confirmed no issues.

Options
85kWh Battery
Performance Package
All Glass Panoramic Roof
21" Grey Wheels
Carbon Fiber Decor
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Tech Package
Smart Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Parcel Shelf
Paint Armor
Dual Chargers
Supercharger Enabled
Black Performance Interior
Red-Multi-Coat Pain

This car new would have been $100K or more.
OH wow! that is one hell of a deal. Congrats on your purchase. Now makes me not want to buy any of these. I thought the two I were looking at were a good deal. I don't understand the private party asking over 65k-85k when CPO is going for that price fully loaded.

It is a fully loaded he says with every option available at the time p85 plus. found another one exact same but 6 hours away with 46k miles asking 59k. debating if I should go with used p85 or just a new 60:/

I take fully loaded to mean pano roof, tech package, ultra high fidelity sound, premium lighting, alcantara headliner, leather seats, subzero package, 21” P+ wheels, carbon fiber spoiler, etc. A fully loaded 2013 P85+ would’ve been over $120K new.

I’d put a current fair market value on the car at around $57K or so. Again, given its high miles.

If you don't want/need all of the bells and whistles of the P85+ then I would definitely suggest considering a newer, less equipped car with lower miles.

hey buckeye...

Sorry for bringing this thread back up. But i'm looking to buy a used private as well. Couple questions:
(1) Who did the full inspection for you and how much did it cost?
(2) Who at Tesla did you contact to confirm no issues with the car?

Thanks..

hey buckeye...

Sorry for bringing this thread back up. But i'm looking to buy a used private as well. Couple questions:
(1) Who did the full inspection for you and how much did it cost?
(2) Who at Tesla did you contact to confirm no issues with the car?

Thanks..

labfm,

1) Tesla did the full inspection as this is a Certified Pre-Owned Car from Tesla. If you are buying 3rd Party/Private Seller, then you would have to have either Tesla or an authorized Tesla shop do the inspection.
2) Tesla will provide you with a "FREE" Carfax report on the car, and the AiM Inspection that is done on all Tesla's.
- CarFax - anything that has been reported from Autobody, DMV, or other contributing companies to CarFax database...etc
- AiM Inspection - This inspection will tell you everything about the car to include tire wear, curb rash, wear and tear. This inspection is what Tesla uses to determine what needs to be replaced or is "Acceptable" for the CPO. This is provided to you ONLY if you get a Tesla CPO from a CPO Advisor. 3rd Party/Private Sellers would not have this.

Hope this helps!