Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying winter tires - Should I get separate wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm expecting to take delivery of my M3 in a few weeks but I want to order my winter tires in advance so they're ready right away. Do you recommend buying separate wheels and TPMS for them or just use the original wheels and have the tires swapped on them every winter? My preferred tire shop (Extreme Wheel and Tire in Richmond Hill) is recommending the R241 wheels if I do go that way.

I'm expecting to take delivery of my M3 in a few weeks but I want to order my winter tires in advance so they're ready right away. Do you recommend buying separate wheels and TPMS for them or just use the original wheels and have the tires swapped on them every winter? My preferred tire shop (Extreme Wheel and Tire in Richmond Hill) is recommending the R241 wheels if I do go that way.
I bought exactly the same wheels for my winter tires.

Get separate winter rims:
a)you damage the tire tire a little bit each time you take tire on and off a wheel
b)wheels are best stored with tires (even old, worm out rubber on them)
c)more convenient (but takes up more space) but if you do not have room most tire sellers will store wheel & tires for you for a cost

Kal Tire charged me $105 to store my regular wheels & tires. Well worth it for me. I bought a separate set of 19” wheels from Kal Tire with Michelin Ice-X tires for my Model X and so far they performed well in Whistler at the end of December and on the snowy roads we have had here in the Vancouver area.

Vote is unanimous but I'll add another to the "yes get wheels" list. Way way way easier to change them. Prevents damage to the wheels and tires. Removing tires is never without risk to the wheel or tire.

If you can change the tires yourself at home it pays for itself quickly. If you need to pay, it's still less expensive to have tires swapped on rims than not on rims since they would need to be balanced and mounted. 2x per year, eventually it will also pay for itself.

Reactions: bolero
In my case with local laws enforcing winter tires by december 1st, it's hard to get an appointment close to that date. I don't want to put the winter tires too early when it's still warm outside as it uses them quickly. Plus, I want to benefit from summer tire traction as much as I can. Same in the spring, having your own wheels means you can go back to summer tires when the weather warrants it instead of waiting for the garage to have a slot for you. For me, this is the biggest argument.

Yup, get a new set of wheels and TPMS. I've got an MYLR, and got my wheels from Wheelwiz.ca, my TPMS direct from a Tesla Service Center, then took them all to a Kal Tire and had them mounted with my preferred winter tire (Hakkapeliitta). They store my other set for my until I return to get them switched, and then they'll store these. I'm on my third Kal Tire, depending on where I've lived in Toronto, and they've all been really good to deal with.

Well it looks pretty consistently in favor of wheels and tires. I've always dealt with Extreme Wheel and Tire in Richmond hill but does anyone else have recommendations?
I ordered my rims and tires from pmctire out of Quebec. They also stock the bluetooth TPMS sensors and will install them. If you have a local Tesla service center you can buy the sensors for less of course and if you have a trusted local place you use, good to keep that relationship healthy.

I actually have the 18 Aero Rims with Michelin X-Ice tires on those rims, I just bought Fast Wheels Titanium FC04's for my summer wheels. Just purchased Micheline Pilot 4's as well, now just need to get some TPMS sensors, rims should arrive this week. I have the rubber. Staying with 18" for the ride quality and efficiency both when replacing tires etc. Nice to have 19's or 20's but its all bling and I need this thing to go go go....

I’ve always had separate wheels for my snow tires for all my previous cars EXCEPT for on my M3LR dual motor. I did some rough calculations and there were no savings for me. Reason being the tread life would only last me 2 years. and Costco seemed to have lowered the price of 8 tires / 4 wheel change over. It used to be $80 but the last few times they only charged me $45 which is only $10 more than 8 wheels / 8 tires change over fee. The low change over fee at Costco vs the cost of winter rims seems to work in favour of not buying extra winter rims for me.

Recommend to get the whole tire/rim kit. Easier for the annual swap and eventually less expensive each time. Also remember that the TPMS is Bluetooth and not RF YOU WILL NEED TO GET THE PROPER SENSORS from Tesla. Just sayin’.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Any recommendations for good tires for 19” wheels for Southern Ontario snow and winter?
I have the FastWheels FC04s and I like the look quite a bit. Flow formed so a slight step up from cast without the super high cost of proper forged wheels.
FC04.jpg

They come in a couple of different colours as well. I have the 18" and they do barely fit on my 2021 Performance although I wish I had gotten 19s for a bit more clearance.

Reactions: DasTasla