Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing at low speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have also noticed when going over some bumps the car will act as if 1 window is down as in the "buffing sound" in the cabin.

That buffing sound had been reported by other members on TM forum. It was found to be due to trunk not sealing properly in the back and will creat that buffing in the cabin every time you go over a bump. It was easy fix (can be done by user) by tightening some screws/bolts for trunk. Try googling it on TM forum and you should be able to find it.

Is this road noise or drone? Hard to tell as a single driver. Noise kind of sound like the sounds an airplane makes flying over head. It'll increase then decrease over and over.

Model S Drone - YouTube

Model S Drone 2 - YouTube

I have also noticed when going over some bumps the car will act as if 1 window is down as in the "buffing sound" in the cabin.
My car has this exact noise, it's not that bothersome. Usually only hear it from 57-64mph, under power or regen only. I think it's what people refer to as the "drone".

Mine is not mechanically related to the gearing or wheels, it only occurs between ~7-20 kW - above or below that you cannot hear it. It does not vary in frequency with power consumption, although the amplitude seems to increase throughout that power consumption range. It's typically heard at low speeds, especially when reflecting off walls (although you can hear it in an open parking lot if climate control and radio are turned off, no need to have windows down). It's an electronic sound - almost as if you had crickets going constantly at a higher frequency.

This is exactly what I have. No doubt. It isn't annoying (to me) but it is noticeable.

yeah mine is very loud and noticeable now. I have brought my car into service multiple times now and mentioned this every time. they keep telling me this is "normal" and won't do anything about it which sucks. even my wife is annoyed by the sound now. I am at 48.8k miles now and about to go out of warranty and I wanted this fixed. this really pisses me off when I hear about others getting their drive units replaced to fix this yet they refuse to do so on mine.

Did they ever fix it? I got mine replaced at around 10k miles. Now at 26k it was getting so loud again that I brought it in again and not only did they know about the issue right away, they called me and said they are replacing the drive unit.

Did they ever fix it? I got mine replaced at around 10k miles. Now at 26k it was getting so loud again that I brought it in again and not only did they know about the issue right away, they called me and said they are replacing the drive unit.

yeah at 48k miles they swapped my drive unit. back to pure quiet bliss.

- - - Updated - - -

I first reported mine at about 20k, said it was fine. Reported it at 38K, still said it is fine. Now at 40k it is so loud people ask what it is. I'm just going to wait for it to fail and then raise hell about them ignoring it.

I had reported it like half a dozen times and took them for test drives and they kept saying 'normal' but it wasn't until I made a recording of it and emailed it to them that they replaced the drive unit.

I started to get the buzzing a few months ago. It seems to be most noticeable at lower speeds and around 20 kW of power. Like a high pitched mosquito. Rear passengers are noticing it too. My drive unit was replaced about a year ago for the higher speed transformer-like hum that would only be present when power was being applied or re-gen was taking place. This new buzz I have is different. It is not present on re-gen.

I have this same sound and it's been happening for a few months now. Most audible at speeds under 30mph, you can easily "turn it" on and off by varying the acceleration. Right rear back, and it's very noticeable inside the car; it's more noticeable outside the car. Have your SO drive the car past you in the driveway if you have the sound. It is very noticeable. Annual in a month or so and I've got it up on the list. Any other updates on if they've worked around having to replace the drive unit?

I had this problem!

Tesla service knew exactly what to look for. With the passenger windows open, the technician drove past a row of parked cars to assess the external noise as it was reflected back. I pointed out the buzzing noise because it was audible inside the vehicle, but he also wanted to hear the external component. He definitely heard it inside the car, although the noise was faint and reminded me of a mild tinnitus when accelerating in the 15 kW-40 kW band. I also had a slight droning at 70+ MPH, although that wasn't as bothersome to me as the "mosquito noise" that I was hearing from the back.

I have a good relationship with my service family at Tesla. I call them family now. I communicated my issues to them, and based on my word alone they ordered a brand new drive unit from the factory. I must be more charming in real life than I am here in the forums. It took about a month to get in, but when it arrived they scheduled my service. New drive unit. New alignment. No more droning or buzzing noises. Happy camper! Be aware that there is a threshold on various noises below which Tesla won't do anything. Mine were pretty faint, but probably borderline enough to go ahead with a DU swap.

Here's to the third time being the charm.

Last edited:
I'm also set for another DU replacement in 2 weeks for the same issue. It's been getting progressively louder, and it's starting to drive me nuts.

I didn't know you could hear it outside the vehicle though.

As a thread update, I drove with a technician the other day and he told me that they'd replace the drive unit, as they've done before for this issue. However, he asked if I'd be willing to wait a bit since Tesla is finalizing a process to replace only the parts that cause this issue. Their preference is to repair the drive unit instead of replacing (obviously). I agreed but with no timeframe to the repair, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just ask them to go ahead and replace the unit during my upcoming service.

I'm glad they're finding a more reasonable solution, in either case.

As a thread update, I drove with a technician the other day and he told me that they'd replace the drive unit, as they've done before for this issue. However, he asked if I'd be willing to wait a bit since Tesla is finalizing a process to replace only the parts that cause this issue. Their preference is to repair the drive unit instead of replacing (obviously). I agreed but with no timeframe to the repair, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just ask them to go ahead and replace the unit during my upcoming service.

I'm glad they're finding a more reasonable solution, in either case.

Do you want to be your service center's guinea pig?

My service center also said they could locally fix my DU problem (droning noise above 70 MPH, supposedly a bearing lubrication issue), but they indicated that they would have to order parts and instructions from the mothership and that I would be the first one that they've done. I told them it was fine, to do what they felt was best, but in the end they decided to replace the DU with a brand new one. It was my third replacement. I'm glad they decided to do that because I wasn't too keen on being their "first time", but I wanted to be flexible because they always treat me so well.