Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing, hissing noise within first 3 minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that it's colder (25-40 deg F), when I leave my house, within 3 minutes, I hear a buzzing, hissing sound that lasts for about 1 minute, then stops for the rest of the trip. Sounds like it's coming from the front end of the car. I've heard the suspension makes its sounds, but I'm not sure this is the suspension, and the thing is, it happens every time now. I have never noticed this before. It only makes the sound after the car has starting moving >10mph, but stops soon thereafter. And if I stop the car, the sound stops before I come to a complete stop.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm not worried as the car operates and drives great. Just curious about the new, unfamiliar sound.

I have a similar issue but it’s like a fan noise that seems to be catching on something coming from front end of the car for about 1 min after the car “wakes up”. Only on a cold morning. Nothing after that. I am just ignoring this for now.

I have a similar issue but it’s like a fan noise that seems to be catching on something coming from front end of the car for about 1 min after the car “wakes up”. Only on a cold morning. Nothing after that. I am just ignoring this for now.

Mine sounds more like a compressor running. Maybe a battery heater to protect the battery from getting too cold? I hear a similar noise from the car at random times when the car is in the garage.

Now that it's colder (25-40 deg F), when I leave my house, within 3 minutes, I hear a buzzing, hissing sound that lasts for about 1 minute, then stops for the rest of the trip. Sounds like it's coming from the front end of the car. I've heard the suspension makes its sounds, but I'm not sure this is the suspension, and the thing is, it happens every time now. I have never noticed this before. It only makes the sound after the car has starting moving >10mph, but stops soon thereafter. And if I stop the car, the sound stops before I come to a complete stop.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm not worried as the car operates and drives great. Just curious about the new, unfamiliar sound.

Take a video of the sound and post it here. Have you noticed the car sitting unevenly?

"Take a video of the sound..." haha Made me smile. I know what you mean though. I heard it again this morning, just as I was about to get in the car to go to work. It makes the sound for maybe 30 seconds and then stops, and it only does this when it's cold. I don't think it's the same sound I hear when the suspension air compressor is filling the suspension air tank, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: VikH