Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing noise from one speaker in liftgate (Model S 2016 MCU2/AP3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a weird issue that I haven't been able to identify the source of. Often while driving I'll get a buzz from the driver's side speaker in my liftgate. The noise comes and goes but it's present pretty often.

It sounds like radio interference on the wire but it only happens in this one speaker in the car. I've tried removing all of my 3rd party electronics from the car but the noise still persists. The service center has looked at it a few times but they haven't been able to reproduce it most of the time. They replaced the speaker for $200 but the issue persists. I'm out of warranty so I'm looking into correcting this myself at this point. I pulled the liftgate trim off and started troubleshooting and here's what I've found:

1. The noise is intermittent but frequent.
  2. I have no consistent repro steps to make it happen, although after I pulled the trim off and put my ear right up next to it I think the noise is -always- present but that the volume varies. I have no repro steps to make it loud enough to be noticeable/irritating but again it happens most of the time.
  3. The MCU has to be "on" but the audio source and volume of the audio have no effect on the noise. I can mute the audio and the noise will persist. Adjusting speaker balance has no effect either.
  4. I swapped the left and right speakers but the noise remains on the driver's side. Whatever speaker is plugged into the blue speaker lead will make the noise.
  5. Rebooting the MCU kills all audio and the noise stops, until it comes back again.
It sounds like radio interference but nothing I've done in the rear of the car makes any difference. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is a loose or poorly shielded wire in the front of the car (or wherever the other end of that wire is) and it's catching interference from the car's own 5G connection. Again, the noise happens even after I've removed all my own electronics (including my cell phone) from the car. I'm also wondering if putting the car into service mode is nerfing some of that functionality and maybe that's why the service center has so much trouble reproducing the issue when it happens almost constantly for me.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this before or has any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

when it happens is it a consistent noise and pitch or does it slightly change during low speed acceleration? in Other words is there a chance it has anything to do with motor noise On the line?
No, nothing I've been able to do so far seems to have any effect. It'll be just as loud as it ever is even when the car is parked. I haven't been able to figure out any direct correlation between what the car is doing at any given moment and whether or not I hear the noise. This is one of the reasons I have no repro steps even though it happens a lot.

I had a popping speaker front left, turned out to be interference from my cell phone. MCU1 was poorly isolated in that regard. No interference with MCU2 but you might want to keep an eye out for mobile devices near wiring.

Can you follow the cable long enough to check wheter the wire is stripped and giving this sound as a result? First place to check would be this rubber sleeve next to tailgate hinge but there might be random screw that has contact with this speaker wire as well or panel edges/frame corners.

I've got a weird issue that I haven't been able to identify the source of. Often while driving I'll get a buzz from the driver's side speaker in my liftgate. The noise comes and goes but it's present pretty often.

It sounds like radio interference on the wire but it only happens in this one speaker in the car. I've tried removing all of my 3rd party electronics from the car but the noise still persists. The service center has looked at it a few times but they haven't been able to reproduce it most of the time. They replaced the speaker for $200 but the issue persists. I'm out of warranty so I'm looking into correcting this myself at this point. I pulled the liftgate trim off and started troubleshooting and here's what I've found:

1. The noise is intermittent but frequent.
  2. I have no consistent repro steps to make it happen, although after I pulled the trim off and put my ear right up next to it I think the noise is -always- present but that the volume varies. I have no repro steps to make it loud enough to be noticeable/irritating but again it happens most of the time.
  3. The MCU has to be "on" but the audio source and volume of the audio have no effect on the noise. I can mute the audio and the noise will persist. Adjusting speaker balance has no effect either.
  4. I swapped the left and right speakers but the noise remains on the driver's side. Whatever speaker is plugged into the blue speaker lead will make the noise.
  5. Rebooting the MCU kills all audio and the noise stops, until it comes back again.
It sounds like radio interference but nothing I've done in the rear of the car makes any difference. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is a loose or poorly shielded wire in the front of the car (or wherever the other end of that wire is) and it's catching interference from the car's own 5G connection. Again, the noise happens even after I've removed all my own electronics (including my cell phone) from the car. I'm also wondering if putting the car into service mode is nerfing some of that functionality and maybe that's why the service center has so much trouble reproducing the issue when it happens almost constantly for me.

Thanks in advance.
I also have an intermittent buzz in my 2016 Model S driver side door speaker and its happening more frequently of late. Manually turning my display brightness all the way down or all the way to 100% makes the noise go away. I used to be able to simply reboot the MCU and the problem would go away for months. A couple of years ago a Tesla tech put a filter on the speaker wire and it seemed to be fixed but now it is back.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Same exact problem on December 2016 MS 90D. It only started after MCU2/HW3 upgrade. Few service trips and speaker replacement without resolution.
If you have premium sound there is an unused loose audio connector below the MCU. If the connector isn't secured away correctly the metal pins can make contact with metal in that area and create feedback.

The speaker buzzing sound has been haunting me as well, but mine is always the front passnger door speaker and it is getting extremely annoying, it quite bothers me... here's my experience. I have a 11/2016 MS with premium sound.

My buzzing speaker is the front passenger side door speaker. It started about a year ago and it was intermittent.
January this year I took the car in to the SC for the FSD computer upgrade and added it to the list.
They replaced the RH Condenser Fan. (see screnshot - I don't know why the test drive... driving has nothing to do with it) and stated that noise was gone... well unfortunately it was intermittent and they thought they fixed it, but it came back.
It kept getting worse as far as frequency, and at one point it bacame a permanent feature. It buzzed anytime the screen was on.

Then in August took the car in to get the MCU2 and again I pointed out the buzzing sound. This time they replaced the speaker (see other screenshot) and clamed it went away. BTW it is best heard without music playing becaus the music covers it up...
Anyway, the MCU was also replaced and the buzzing had gone away. Yay!

Well that was August, and the excitement of driving a buzzing free car quickly faded, as the buzzing sound started to come back intermittently at first, and now, only about 2 months after MCU upgrade the same buzzing sound, fram the same speaker is back, and it is no longer intermittent, it is once again always present with the screen on. Nothing I can do to make it go away. :(

So hopefully soon I get the invite to get the new camera upgrade, and once again will add the buzzing sound to the list of concerns, but seems like they have no clue as what causes it.

Without music playing it is very annoying, with passengers annoyingly asking (what is that sound!)

I hope something is found...

Attachments

• 1Capture.JPG
    1Capture.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 2Capture.JPG
    2Capture.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 78
My late 2016 S90D with MCU2 update also has this irritating buzzing noise when I am in the garage and powered up. It usually continues but decreases as I back out of the garage And goes away as I leave the driveway. I’ve been assuming it is my iPhone phone transmitting perhaps. Once in my driveway and pulling onto the road it goes away.

Totally consistent. Very weird. Suddenly began a while ago (6 months?) with no change to my network/wifi and ever since it has continued. As I pull onto the driveway it decreases and is rarely heard again.