Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing/Rattling at low speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ben W

Chess Grandmaster (Supervised)
Feb 27, 2009
Santa Barbara, CA
50 miles into Model 3 ownership, and my brand-new Tesla is developing a troubling case of bronchitis:

It sounds like the noise is coming from the middle/back of the car, but it's hard to localize more precisely. Any ideas what could be causing this, or has anyone else experienced something like this?

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Sheesh. That'd get annoying real quick.

Afraid I can't help with any clues, apart from just looking around for anything loose -- unlatched seats, or the "vent" piece between the trunk and cabin, or a speaker cover, or anything else that might not have been installed securely. Maybe get a passenger to help track down the source while you drive, or vice versa.

I just got my car back from the service center. This was one of the things they looked at. They said they isolated the noise as coming from the rear seatbelt tensioners. The problem seems to be fixed after getting it back.
I had something very similar around ten years ago in our then new Hyundai. It needed a replacement clip on the hand brake cable.
Things like this are 100% inevitable from time to time in mass produced vehicles - glad they found the cause quickly and hope it stays away.

Of course, if it happened on your handbuilt Bugatti Veyron:D, you'd be a bit cranky!

Cya