Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing sound from dashboard, behind monitor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received our MY LR at the end of March, first time here. Started noticing a strange buzzing noise coming from the dashboard, behind the monitor. Took the car to the SC and they said it was a normal sound, but now it is getting louder and is no longer drowned out by road noise, or music at an average volume. I've also sat in other MYs and the buzzing doesn't exist. I've noticed that the pitch of the buzzing changes if I press on the dashboard underneath the monitor. The sound is constant, charging or not, and is very noticeable just sitting in the car when parked with no music. Taking it back to the SC this week to have them check again. Any thoughts on what could be causing this noise?

Love the car, but the noise is driving me crazy and I should not have to blow my ears out with the music to drown out the noise.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Received our MY LR at the end of March, first time here. Started noticing a strange buzzing noise coming from the dashboard, behind the monitor. Took the car to the SC and they said it was a normal sound, but now it is getting louder and is no longer drowned out by road noise, or music at an average volume. I've also sat in other MYs and the buzzing doesn't exist. I've noticed that the pitch of the buzzing changes if I press on the dashboard underneath the monitor. The sound is constant, charging or not, and is very noticeable just sitting in the car when parked with no music. Taking it back to the SC this week to have them check again. Any thoughts on what could be causing this noise?

Love the car, but the noise is driving me crazy and I should not have to blow my ears out with the music to drown out the noise.

I am having that same noise and it drives me crazy. I can not sit in my car without music now. Is this something mobile service can fix?

Having the exactly same issue now. It's intermittent, and the nearest repair shop is 3 hours away, so we'll see. How much did it cost to fix?

I just test drove a Model 3 with similar noise but much less pronounced coming from behind the touch screen. The sales person said it is probably a fan warming or cooling battery. He offered to sell me the car & it had 43 miles on it. I did not thinks so since this is Los Angeles and it was about 70 degrees outside. I noticed the sound the second I started the car and it never went away despite 30 minutes of driving. I had a model Y for 3 days and it made no such noise.

Reactions: Deutsch100
hey. same problem here. did they install a new one?
Issue fixed. The cabin temperature sensor was failing. Quiet cabin now.
Hey guys, how the issue fixed?
I am having the same issue. And a Tesla technician came to my house to replace a new temperature sensor, but the problem is still not fixed. The technician decided to order another temperature sensor to try one more time before send this issue to the tesla engineering department.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Issue fixed. The cabin temperature sensor was failing. Quiet cabin now.
I had my new MY less then 72 hours when I reported this to Tesla. Today would be 11 days as a Tesla owner but my cars been in the shop with them for the last 2 days. They told me this:

Other - Noise & Vibration
Technician Notes
. Technician was able to verify noise but only in a very quiet setting. Technician could not hear noise when driving or when A/C was on. Technician found noise to be internal temperature sensor which sits under the screen and measure the temperature in the cabin.

Technician inspected multiple fleet vehicles and heard the same buzzing noise some louder then others. This is a normal characteristic of vehicle. Technician recommends removing aftermarket items to minimize noise.

i asked them to plz replace the sensor as it’s driving me nuts! They are refusing to do it under warranty. I’m beyond frustrated. did they cover your fix under warranty? My cars literally brand new 😢

I had my new MY less then 72 hours when I reported this to Tesla. Today would be 11 days as a Tesla owner but my cars been in the shop with them for the last 2 days. They told me this:

Other - Noise & Vibration
Technician Notes
. Technician was able to verify noise but only in a very quiet setting. Technician could not hear noise when driving or when A/C was on. Technician found noise to be internal temperature sensor which sits under the screen and measure the temperature in the cabin.

Technician inspected multiple fleet vehicles and heard the same buzzing noise some louder then others. This is a normal characteristic of vehicle. Technician recommends removing aftermarket items to minimize noise.

i asked them to plz replace the sensor as it’s driving me nuts! They are refusing to do it under warranty. I’m beyond frustrated. did they cover your fix under warranty? My cars literally brand new 😢
Was it completely fixed? I have the same issue on my newly bought model X
Me too on my Y. It’s horrible. They are refusing to fix it under warranty. Telling me it’s normal.

Hey guys, how the issue fixed?
I am having the same issue. And a Tesla technician came to my house to replace a new temperature sensor, but the problem is still not fixed. The technician decided to order another temperature sensor to try one more time before send this issue to the tesla engineering department.
They’re refusing to change my sensor. My Tesla office sucks!

I had the same issue. Brand new car - annoying buzz, complained to the service rep and they said "that's the way it is designed, nothing to be done". Then the service guy literally told me "you should have test drove the car and if there were noises you didn't like, then get a different car." WTF! So out of frustration I pulled it out myself (official Tesla directions here Sensor - Cabin Temperature (Remove and Replace) But then I found that the heated steering wheel wouldn't work since (apparently) it needs to know the cabin temperature to work - which kinda makes sense. Anyway, this seems like a real crap design that you have to run an annoyingly loud fan to know the cabin temperature - and here's the real rub. If sleeping in your car with "camp mode" on, the fan runs all night. Bring out the ear plugs.