Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing Sound From Left Front Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is one big air filter
IMG_20161103_173854.jpg
IMG_20161103_173339.jpg

I spoke to the head technician at my SC today, and he assures me it's most likely normal. When asked why it took 5K miles to show up, he says that what's "normal" changes with each software update, and that the .40 update may have altered or created some processes in the car, a lot of which never are disclosed in the update release notes. He says that even if you turn the car "off" in the control panel it's never off unless you disconnect the batteries. The car is always active. He suggested that I log the times and dates when the buzzing starts & stops and he'll try to match those up with the car logs when I next bring it in.

Reactions: davidc18
The service center has examined my refreshed model S and determined that the buzzing is coming from my headlights and are in the process of replacing both. If you continue to have buzzing from the headlights, I would continue to look into it. I will report back if this has solved the issue. And BTW, the 21 inch wheeled loaner drives a lot lot rougher than my 19 inchers. Other factors? maybe.

I spoke to the head technician at my SC today, and he assures me it's most likely normal. When asked why it took 5K miles to show up, he says that what's "normal" changes with each software update, and that the .40 update may have altered or created some processes in the car, a lot of which never are disclosed in the update release notes. He says that even if you turn the car "off" in the control panel it's never off unless you disconnect the batteries. The car is always active. He suggested that I log the times and dates when the buzzing starts & stops and he'll try to match those up with the car logs when I next bring it in.

Perhaps this is something that started happening immediately after the last software update? If so, you might want to also send a message to [email protected].

The car was returned and so far, no buzzing from the headlight areas on either side. It has only been a few hours. If the buzzing comes back I will update the thread. I feel a bit dumb after telling my wife that the buzzing was normal these past few months! It was buzzing from day one. I just thought it was a normal Tesla sound. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
I have an intermittent high frequency hollow vibration sound that comes from the left front area on my 2016 MS. This is different than what others are posting here but it has been driving me crazy. It only happens when I drive over a rough surface, even changing lanes and going over lane reflectors will trigger it sometimes. The Dania Beach SC looked at it twice and replaced some parts around the left AC vent but no difference whatsoever. I think the issues is with the cheap hollow plastic AC vent blades. Has anyone else heard of this?
I have the exact same issue. Mine is mostly on the right side, though. Not sure what it is. Could be vent blades, or speaker cover?

Maybe normal, maybe not:

The car is currently connected to the home charger and waiting to start the scheduled charge.
I noticed that the buzzing stopped and the chargeport lights went out. 10 seconds later lights back on and buzzing started again for a few minutes and repeated this again and again...

Same at your cars?

Alright, it has been a couple days now, and zero buzzing sounds at all. Whether the DRL are on or not, whether the car is being charged or not. So I conclude it was the headlights that were the origin of the buzzing sounds. I have not determined if vampire drain will be reduced, but I can hope. I recommend pursuing solving this issue if you have it.

Update, headlight was investigated and replaced by a new unit. Same buzzing sound...
Now they ordered a new headlight unit with a new, more recent, part number which should solve it.
Will update again next week for results.

In total, spread over multiple visits, my car will be at the service centre for 10 days.

Had the same, ours only manifests when turning the steering wheel right. Was told by SC it's a known problem that they can fix. Something about that causing interference on the left front that causes a speaker to buzz..doesn't sound like it's coming from the speaker to me though

I have an intermittent high frequency hollow vibration sound that comes from the left front area on my 2016 MS. This is different than what others are posting here but it has been driving me crazy. It only happens when I drive over a rough surface, even changing lanes and going over lane reflectors will trigger it sometimes. The Dania Beach SC looked at it twice and replaced some parts around the left AC vent but no difference whatsoever. I think the issues is with the cheap hollow plastic AC vent blades. Has anyone else heard of this?

I started getting a noise almost like a vibration after the last update and its almost becoming as annoying as a rattle that wont go away. I will try to investigate more later as it only started the last 2 days. It could be coming from the speaker like an electrical cracking noise.

Update, headlight was investigated and replaced by a new unit. Same buzzing sound...
Now they ordered a new headlight unit with a new, more recent, part number which should solve it.
Will update again next week for results.

In total, spread over multiple visits, my car will be at the service centre for 10 days.

I just picked up my 2016 S 90D from a previous owner in LA. He said he had never heard the headlight buzzing and I didn’t hear it in LA either. However when I got further north, into sub zero temps this crazy light (drivers side) is buzzing it’s head off! It went quiet in the garage for 2 days, I think, didn’t check too often, then out the blue it has started again without going near the car. I wish there was a way to put this beast to sleep properly. A little worrying, as that noise is both using energy and creating heat. Not conducive to safety I would have thought. I took a video and will be scheduling a visit to my local SC. Only a 5 hour drive away.
I took it apart enough to get my hands on the back of the light, but don’t seem to be able to unplug it. Is there a trick to disconnecting the headlight? Thanks for any advice.