Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing static noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
I feel that I should share this issue with you all. Got my Tesla Model X 2 months ago. Today, a weird buzzing noise started coming out of the speakers even when the radio and all media is off. It only goes off for few seconds if I push the Voice Command button on the steering wheel but the noise comes back once the voice command goes off. Turned the volume down all the way but the noise is still coming out and loud.
I wonder if any of you had this issue and if you did, what solved this problem? I am definitely calling the service department tomorrow.

Just a follow up. After reading few more posts on buzzing noise, I figured I should turn the navigation sound down or off to see if it works and it did. The noise is still there in background but at least I don't hear it. So for now no voice from navigation guidance until I get it serviced.

Have you tried to reset the main console by holding down the two thumbwheels on the steering wheel for 8 seconds? If that doesn't work, try holding down the buttons above the thumbwheels for 8 seconds. Let us know if that works.

Same problem here. Took delivery of our MX September 16, 2017. Radio has a buzzing/static sound when volume is at 0 or above. Source has no effect. I've figured out ways to delay it, but it always comes back until the car is powered down. No luck on getting it to stop by turning nav volume down to zero (mute). Any other information, ideas, questions or suggestions?

Mine has always done it in a certain part of my neighborhood, literally every time I pass thru that area. Makes no difference if nav on or off, talking on Bluetooth phone, radio on or or muted, slacker or FM. I just assumed that somebody was using a high powered HAM radio set or something like that causing interference.

Interested to hear what service says.

The buzzing sound I'm hearing is not the same as the sound you get from the cell phone interference, etc. Over the weekend, I tested three MX's. Vin numbers 66xxx and 68xxx both have the same buzzing sound. Vin 60xxx does NOT have it. We tried each at the same multiple locations without any cell phones in the car. Is there a chance it has something to do with the rumored AP 2.5 hardware upgrade?

UPDATE! Service Center confirmed that the buzzing/static sound is a known problem by Tesla engineers. Unfortunately, from what I've been told, it's likely Tesla is not actively pursuing a fix for the problem as it does not affect vehicle safety. The problem affects Model S and Model X vehicles with the more recent firmware updates. If you are experiencing this problem, it is advised that you contact Tesla or your local service center. As the complaints increase, the priority of the fix will improve.

I have the same issue with my AP2.5 X. Just thought it was me. Disappointed that tesla isn’t just saying they will work on a fix but I guess I’ll complain about it.

Not to derail this but does your car make an extra motor whine with speeds between 23-29mph? I get that from standstill the motor has the normal whine but at the speeds I listed it shouldn’t do it.

I have the same issue with my AP2.5 X. Just thought it was me. Disappointed that tesla isn’t just saying they will work on a fix but I guess I’ll complain about it.

Not to derail this but does your car make an extra motor whine with speeds between 23-29mph? I get that from standstill the motor has the normal whine but at the speeds I listed it shouldn’t do it.

I have noticed some whine and motor vibration on my Dad's 75D MS right around 23-29mph. Depending upon the position of the accelerator pedal, there is a high-pitch whine that is consistent at those speeds. The performance cars I've driven have a similar sound, but it occurs at a higher speed and perhaps not quite as loud. I have also noticed a change in the pitch and frequency of the sound when toggling range mode. May be worth playing with that option. I've also noticed that the dual-motor cars have quite a bit more sound than the rear drive cars. A ranger confirmed to me that the front motor in the "D" cars does create quite a bit of noise since the drive unit is directly in front of the front passengers.

I thought it’s just my car. Seem like this issue is quite common. I will need to add this to the list for my up coming service appointment.
I think there are many of us who thought "it's just my car." After driving three different vehicles, however, I realized the problem is more widespread than just a handful of vehicles. After doing some of my own testing, I do believe the Tesla engineers will be able to resolve the problem with a firmware update. It's good that you're making the SC aware of your concerns so they can forward this information to the engineers.

I think there are many of us who thought "it's just my car." After driving three different vehicles, however, I realized the problem is more widespread than just a handful of vehicles. After doing some of my own testing, I do believe the Tesla engineers will be able to resolve the problem with a firmware update. It's good that you're making the SC aware of your concerns so they can forward this information to the engineers.
I have a service appointment on Fri 24 to look at this specifically, I will report back.

Good! I look forward to hearing what your SC has to say.

Reporting back s promised and the issue was not isolated nor fixed, I will have to go back and leave the car longer unless someone else as the same issue before then which can be succesfully diagnosed. I don't think I will get an appointment until the new year now as I am waiting for parts around then.

"Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis

Confirmed. This sounds like a fan noise. Hard to find source. Its not coming from MCU so suspecting front left speaker. No more time to troubleshoot/fix today so there will be an new appointment for this."

Reporting back s promised and the issue was not isolated nor fixed, I will have to go back and leave the car longer unless someone else as the same issue before then which can be succesfully diagnosed. I don't think I will get an appointment until the new year now as I am waiting for parts around then.

"Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis

Confirmed. This sounds like a fan noise. Hard to find source. Its not coming from MCU so suspecting front left speaker. No more time to troubleshoot/fix today so there will be an new appointment for this."
Thank you for the update! My SC also stated that the buzzing/static noise is probably a "fan noise or something", but they too are at a loss for determining the source of the problem. I have, however, been able to perform a few steps to either momentarily stop the sound for several seconds or even prevent the sound from turning on for up to three minutes. The fans can be heard running continuously. The buzzing sound, however, is either on or off and can be heard coming from ALL of the speakers. I believe the sound is more pronounced in front due to the reflection of sound against the windshield and the higher frequency of the front speakers. My SC stated that this problem is, in fact, a "known issue" with Tesla engineering. However, fixing the problem will take a low priority unless more owners call to complain about it. The SC recommended calling Tesla to let them know you are "not happy with the buzzing sound coming from the audio system." I did this and the representative on the phone was very friendly and documented the complaint accordingly. Each of the four newer Model X's I have driven recently has exhibited identically the same static/buzzing problem. The older AP1 MX's, however, do not. Thank you for letting Tesla know that you're experiencing the same problem and for contributing to the betterment of the product. I ask that others will do the same so that Tesla engineering will have more of a reason to work on a permanent fix. Participating in the refinement of the product will not only benefit current owners, but it will also serve to make the Tesla brand even better for all future owners.

Reactions: nyseman
I’ll have to see if it’s all the speakers in my car. For now it just seems its the front speakers behind the steering wheel (I had crammed my head as far in as possible to see if I could locate the exact location but unfortunately my head is bigger than a newborns head.

It still seems like a fan noise. Was told the same thing about a possible firmware fix for it potentially but not holding my breath at this point

Try turning "off" the ambient lighting. In the early Model S's the dimmers in the ambient lighting control caused a buzzing in the speakers regardless of volume setting. It was fixed at one point with a software update.