TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

By Design: Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Kipernicus, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Automobile Mag critiques interior and exterior design of the Model S

Tesla-Model-S-front.jpg
    Tesla-Model-S-rear.jpg
    Tesla-Model-S-interior.jpg
    Note- I have pasted in nearly the entire article because the reading format here is much better integrated with the images than what Automobile has on its own website. I encourage you to click through to the article to read the main text and so that they get some clicks.

2. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

#2 kevincwelch, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    I think the article is fair. Not sure the console was rushed or gives the appearance of its being rushed. However, I do agree with the bright chrome underscoring the two doors. We've talked about that before, and there were some mock-ups of the chrome running from wheel to wheel, which I think looks much better. And I finally agree with the sharp turn the rear door takes at the base. There was something that just had me hung up in a negative way about the back door.

Still, a nicely designed car with what I think are very distinctive looks.

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

This comment discredits the whole analysis: "But there's nothing about its appearance to command desire."

Most of use who have forked over $5,000 or more to wait in line for what we think is a beautiful car likely will find that comment quite specious.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I forked over my $5,000 and I think they're mostly correct. Looks are decidedly "me too" and not the least bit exciting. It's what's under the skin that made me part with the bucks.

5. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

It's interesting to think about which parts of this I agree with and which parts I disagree with. I certainly am not a fan of the harsh diagonal line of rear door, and the oddly truncated bright molding under the doors. OTOH, calling the grille "aggressively anonymous" is a bit bizarre to me. I can spot a Model S (in a light color) from a great distance because of that grille.

I'm surprised they didn't take issue with the hatchback/trunk seam placement. It's definitely not as objectionable on recent cars with good tolerances as it was, but I still think it's weird.

6. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Exactly, that grille isn't going to be anonymous for long....it will be the primary indicator of Model S, along with turbine wheels and the slight joggle in the headlamp cover (seriously?). I had never noticed the abrupt diagonal of the rear door, and now I cannot un-see it...much like the bright lining under both doors that doesn't extend to the wheel well. But even so, I cannot wait to own this car, and admire its every curve...these "flaws" are infinitesimally nitpicky and minor, in comparison to the overall effect: understated elegance and concealed power.

7. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

I wonder if that bright strip can be removed, covered or painted. It takes my eye jarringly from the curves every time. I will do something about mine when i get it.

8. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

My biggest issues are the diagonal rear door and the chrome under the door as well. At least I can fix the chrome with cf overlay to match the spoiler

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Well, I agree with much of this, though not all. I've always felt the S wasn't as good looking as it could have been. To be fair to Franz, its better than anything I've seen at Mazda, though I've never particularly liked their cars either.

10. kevincwelch

See this thread.

11. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Thanks Kevin - I should have searched first. Argh.

12. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

This is akin to pointing out all the 'subjective' flaws on a football team that eventually wins the Super Bowl.

13. kevincwelch

Paraphrased: It could be better looking, but is better looking than Mazda, which is not that good looking. heh. :)

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Ha, yes, that's about right.

15. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I agree with most of what they say, even if the tone is a bit condescending. With all the safety standards to abide by, particularly for a 'world car', it's not easy to be distinctive from the outside. As I described it to someone who'd not seen one, its like Ford and Jaguar made a baby in Korea :).

16. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

+1 on that. Model S looks good, but not a head-turner.

17. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Condescending is the feeling I got as well. They also comment/criticized about the upper grill which is actually no longer present. They analyzed an older beta...

Look at any Lexus sedan (except current GS), and you will see bright chrome underneath the doors... I'm not really that put off by the strips of chrome, depending on the color. Looks best in dark colors. Worst in white/silver.

2013_Lexus_LS_460_002_A9CE94396FF1D4D026AF5D817D69A7B27869FDB7-thumb-530x374-21663.jpeg
    2013-lexus-es-350-left-side-view.jpeg

Attached Files:

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Same with the Roadster.

Nothing really to grab your eye but also nothing for the masses to find fault with.

The Model S is more chameleon than a Karma.

19. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Whaaaat the roadster turns my head every time. The s has me do a double take for a closer look. Those lights get your attention. Karma screams out, but then you see the grill :scared:

20. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

The roadster never did anything for me either in terms of looks. Within it's class, it just looked like another hot wheels car to me. I was never a fan of Lotus though, so Tesla was starting with a base design I wasn't fond of to begin with.

I think the Model S makes a stronger statement within it's class, though still lacks quite the visual punch of something like an Aston Martin. Comparing it to the Jaguar though, I definitely prefer the Model S.