Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

By the way, no spare tire? right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a spare in my current car, but most modern vehicles (esp in premium class) don't have a spare. I'm fine with this (not much choice anyways, it's a trend), but I hope there are some smaller wheel choices (like 17-18 inch).

Unless the tire sizes are going to be really unusual, Tire Rack, Americas Tire, etc. sell plenty of run flats at normal prices. My MB B-class came with run flats and I changed them to a larger wheel size, and bought Bridgestone run flats for their smoother ride. I've been using them for almost two years now and I love them. Admittedly I only drive in the city (don't have enough range to get way out of town) so I only encounter pot holes. BTW, do know some basic specs like wheelbase and wheel/tire size options?

Do these tires require a special rim? The reason I ask is if the rim is setup for this type of tire does it prevent using a normal tire later?

This would be extremely annoying for me... The 2005-2007 Odyssey Touring had run flats and EVERYONE is changing their rims to get rid of the requirement of the tire. The cost is insane on the tire. Thankfully they realized the error of their ways and made them optional from 2008 to 2010 and now they are not even available.

I think what you are talking about is the PAX tire system that was developed for use on the Odyssey. Pax tires are different from regular run flat tires because Pax tires do require special mounting tool and a whole different system on the vehicle. Most Pax tires are being phased out but there are still some cars that have them like the Rolls Royce Phantom, and the older Honda vans.

• Informative
Reactions: Zoomit
I'm thinking if the car comes with Michelin tires, and you do get a flat, you can always call their road assistance program that is good for 3 years from the date of purchase. They can send a tow truck and have you towed to the nearest dealer within 150 miles.

Spare tires were for cars when people didn't have cell phones. Most people would rather call a tow truck than risk their life changing a tire on the side of a highway when they might ironically get clipped by a driver who is texting on their phone.

Before cell phones, you were stranded if you had a flat and either had to put-on a spare or walk to a pay phone. In that situation, I would definitely want a spare. Cell phone = no need for spare IMO.

Neither of two current cars has a spare nor did my last car (2008 model year).

Reactions: eloder
When the first cars without spare tires were introduced over I here I was like "never ever am I going to buy a car without a spare tire", even though I never had a puncture on my '96 VW Golf (which did have a narrow "emergency" spare tire) during all the years I had it.
Well, after having driven my current car (which doesn't have a spare) for twelve years and still not having had a puncture, I guess I feel confident I can make do with a Model 3 without a spare too. Puncture anxiety seems similar to range anxiety nowadays ;)

I think what you are talking about is the PAX tire system that was developed for use on the Odyssey. Pax tires are different from regular run flat tires because Pax tires do require special mounting tool and a whole different system on the vehicle. Most Pax tires are being phased out but there are still some cars that have them like the Rolls Royce Phantom, and the older Honda vans.

Yes you are right. I also thought it was on some BMW's as well but I could be wrong.

I hope it goes without saying, but never use a tire with a damaged sidewall. That's where the strength is. In fact, most service persons will refuse to patch a sidewall puncture for liability reasons, these days. If the reinforcement cords are damaged, all bets are off, and you risk catastrophic failure at speed.

• Funny
Reactions: Dave Garaffa
I carry a cell phone, I don't need a spare.

Unless you're in a place with no cell coverage (extremely rare here in the US at least), you don't need one. After all, you don't care a spare motor, a spare EV battery, a spare 12v battery, or a spare anything else that can go wrong and you've live just fine.

Too bad Tesla cannot put self inflators on the car. Big trucks have had this capability for years, you have a monitor panel inside the truck and press a button. Inflator pumps got really small and cheap, they are just a plunger and and electromagnet, which is why now you can buy a small inflator for $25. The system can also be totally automated so it maintains correct pressure even while driving.

My Civic has a spare, which thankfully I've never had to use.

I did have to use the spare in my old Accord once, due to a screw puncture. The funny thing is that the wheel lug nuts were torqued so tightly that I wasn't able to use the emergency wrench to take the wheel off. I ended up having to call AAA to have a roadside assistance truck sent out. The AAA guy wasn't able to take the wheel of either at first, until he used some kind of tube attachment to the wrench to get more leverage.

In a metro area or suburban area, I don't think a spare tire is a necessity. Cell phone coverage, roadside assistance, and plenty of people around mean that help is easy to get. HOWEVER, if I am traveling in a rural area with spotty cell coverage and not many people around, I would definitely want a spare in addition to a can of Fix-a-Flat (or a portable inflator).

Spare tires were for cars when people didn't have cell phones. Most people would rather call a tow truck than risk their life changing a tire on the side of a highway when they might ironically get clipped by a driver who is texting on their phone.

Before cell phones, you were stranded if you had a flat and either had to put-on a spare or walk to a pay phone. In that situation, I would definitely want a spare. Cell phone = no need for spare IMO.

Neither of two current cars has a spare nor did my last car (2008 model year).

Depends on how much you value your time. Some people don't want to spend all day waiting around for a tow truck, then have to deal with getting the tires replaced right then and there. Lots of annoying logistics. What if you're on a schedule and need to be somewhere? Now you have to waste time getting towed, spend money on a taxi/Uber...

I have a blowout, all I gotta do is pop on a spare which takes 10 minutes and will be fine for a few days until I can coordinate dropping it off at the shop. Much easier and more convenient to choose when to do that. I can continue on my way to that job interview no problem. Not having a spare really forces your hand and can ruin your entire day (maybe life if you miss that interview!)