TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

By using the air conditioner, how much does it affect the range?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by passion4audio, Nov 8, 2013.

1. passion4audio

passion4audio member

I've been contributing to the "Model S" thread over at The Gear Page - Powered by vBulletin (excellent forum, btw, for musicians).

A question came up on how much impact using the AC has on range, and I don't know the answer.

Would someone please educate me?

Thank you!

Here's a direct link to the thread:

TESLA MODEL S - The Gear Page

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

EVTripPlanner does a great job at predicting battery usage for verious conditions. Put in your route and push the temps up and down to see how much range is affected.

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

It's not noticeable. There will be larger natural variations due to weather and wind that will obscure any noticeable effect from the air conditioner's energy consumption.

4. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Turning off the AC allowed me to hit 280 wh/mile on my daily commute. With it on, I was getting 310 wh/mile.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The compressor is variable speed, so it doesn't always use the same amount of energy. Mostly it's fairly minor 10-30 Wh/mile but a lot depends on how you use it, how hot the weather is, whether you can pre-cool from shore power, etc. I never hesitate to use the a/c and my average Wh/mile is reasonably low.

6. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

Around here A/C is not a luxury, it is life support.