TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BYD EV E6 to launch in Aus.

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by baillies, May 1, 2016.

1. baillies

baillies Member

2. cashie

cashie Member

At $80k+ it doesn't look like it has much of a market here...

3. paulp

paulp Member

If its chinese you are welcome to it. I'm over cheap dispoable chinese products thats last warranty plus one day.

4. alpal

alpal Member

My initial gut reaction is this - I am proud of my Tesla and often say that it is the best car on the road - better even than my previous five XKR Jags! I'm not so sure I could say the same or anywhere near the same about this. But I welcome the advent of new electric vehicle choices. It is the future I hope to see.

5. AndrewNSW

AndrewNSW Member

This is great! Although I wouldn't buy one, the more people see EV's out there the better to add to acceptance that this technology works well and is getting closer to mainstream.

The segment they are targeting is ideal to help in this area. I just hope it does a good job leaving a positive impression.

6. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Agreed AndewNSW, I really hope that do a good job otherwise we'll have negative connotations about EV's in OZ.

Fingers crossed...

-ECIT

7. paulp

paulp Member

Trying to think of a chinese product that has left a good impression......

8. alpal

alpal Member

Spaghetti?

9. PJF000

PJF000 TOCA Member

That's Italian. I think you meant Gooseberries.

10. TesAus

TesAus Member

Lychees?

11. alpal

alpal Member

I'm pretty sure I meant spaghetti!

12. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

I've spent a hell of a lot of time in China (my wife is Chinese) and I can assure you the Chinese are very capable of building quality when the budget/factory etc. etc. are right.

If you didn't know, each year when the world wide awards for the best and worse manufactured products come out China wins in both categories.

Don't underestimate them in my view, especially then you have the support of the Chinese government, Warren Buffet behind them...BYD isn't a start up over night....we shall see...again the car isn't for me but I do hope they do a good product.

-ECIT

13. paulp

paulp Member

You obviously havnt seen how they perform in the building industry, its bottom of the barrel rubbish designed to fail, assuming you even recieve what was agreed to be sent. Even chinese developers get screwed over in this regard. Using chinese steel for example...well spaghetti might be a better structual element.

14. Bullet1

Bullet1 Electric - way of the future

Tesla is looking to possibly produce Model 3 + more in China so don't be surprised if one day your next Tesla ships ex China. Don't under estimate their ability and progress in recent years. + have the dollars to employ/import the expertise to setup and manage. Until recently they have been up there as leaders in Lithium Ion Batteries, I have visited a number of battery factories in China. BYD is a major player but this car is too ugly and not even comparable to a Tesla in my opinion..........

15. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

The iPhone is made in China. When making the iPhone 4, Apples tolerances were so tight, Foxcon had to make them with prototyping machines.

John

16. Bullet1

In Tesla earnings reports just released it was commented that the 500,000 p.a production target is planned to move forward to 2018 from 2020 due to the high levels of preorders and demand for Model 3.

It is also recent news that Chinese customers were possibly 2nd largest on the order list for Model 3. My prediction is this will be used as leverage to plan for a facility in China to lower production and shipping costs for the Asian region including us. This would make sense as the Freemont plant likely couldn't handle 500,000 p.a or would be maxed out at that.

Wouldn't be surprised if negotiations have been on the table for some time.

17. Bullet1

Reality is a plant full Identical Robots building a Tesla would do the same job if in Freemont USA or a Chinese factory!

18. Bullet1

Further the RHD markets, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia and UK would likely be more economical to ship ex China. All important if your trying to keep the end price as low as possible which is the case for Model 3 and beyond.

19. paulp

paulp Member

The reality also is that the materials making the car may not be the materials expected. For example, if you buy some chinese structual steel in australia it comes with a compliance certificate and is very cheap. If you advise that you intend to have the steel checked via analysis....well thats a different structual steel and costs more, a lot more. Indeed Australian steel is cheaper in that circumstance.
    I dont want my buildings falling over, and knowing how much chinese manufacturers cheat in that industry, there is no way I'd ever trust my life in a chinese made car. The building industry is starting to work it out, I guess other industries will catch on eventually.

20. paulp

paulp Member

And iphones arent exactly a shining example of longevity.