TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BYD Fe all electric vehicle

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Merrill, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Was reading about the Chinese company BYD and it has sold some vehicles to Uber to test in Chicago. It says it gets 186 miles to a charge and takes 2 hours to go from 0 to 100%. It is a Nickel iron battery, anyone know more about this vehicle.

2. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

Yes, my solar installer distributes. 60kWh battery. Almost same price as S60. Butt ugly. Limited service network in US.

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the BYD e6 - but in that case it has a lithium iron phosphate battery, not a nickel-iron one. A little over 60 kWh, but only ~120 hp, and last I saw an article, equipped with a unique Chinese spec charging plug.
    Walter

4. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

#4 gregincal, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    Here a link to the info: e6 | BYD Auto

Also, here's the general thread in this forum for the car (although it's been dormant for a long time): Chinese BYD EV

5. EV6

EV6 Member

BYD has sold a bunch of taxis all over the world but I am wondering how they will pass safety requirements domestically

6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    BYD e6

I drove the e6 a few years ago and it was a step above a prototype. I'm sure the ones sold to Uber will be a much better improvement. It was an impressive car, at least in terms of specs. I forgot exactly how much kWh it had, but it was in the vicinity of high-80s. The car boasted 180 ~ 220 miles then, although we figured a more conservative 140~. It had a "sports" mode and a regular mode. It only only fun to drive in sports mode. But boy was it HEAVY! It had fans constantly spinning to keep the pack cooled. Can't say I felt super safe in it. A lot of clicks and clunks. Definitely an interesting experience, considering all we've heard about Chinese cars.

It used Li-ion batteries, so it makes sense BYD would have switched to Fe. I think this is Buffet's and BYD's big "game changer" story.

7. gregincal

gregincal Active Member