Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I would notice....

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 2.52.59 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr and JRP3
Interesting fallout from the Brazil fires. Brazil and US meat companies are in the spotlight about excess emissions.

Bolsonaro's Beef With the Amazon Forces US Meat Industry to Change

Leaders of agribusiness are concerned,” says Zeina Latif, chief economist at São Paulo–based XP Investimentos. “We have a challenging global environment, and competitors will use this [against them, if they don’t act].”

The expansion in demand from consumers for plant-based foods as an eco-friendly alternative to meat is adding to the pressure, suggests Maurice Schweitzer, professor of operations and information management at the Wharton School of Business. The plant-based meat industry is expected to touch $85 billion by 2030. “There are broad trends that have boosted demand for plant-based alternatives to meat,” he says.

But there’s growing evidence that irrespective of size, no beef company will remain immune from the growing backlash against the meat industry’s carbon footprint, experts say. It’s a reality even JBS appears to tacitly acknowledge — in May, it announced plans to introduce a plant-based burger to
Brazil.

• Love
Reactions: ladysbff
Interesting fallout from the Brazil fires. Brazil and US meat companies are in the spotlight about excess emissions.

Bolsonaro's Beef With the Amazon Forces US Meat Industry to Change

Leaders of agribusiness are concerned,” says Zeina Latif, chief economist at São Paulo–based XP Investimentos. “We have a challenging global environment, and competitors will use this [against them, if they don’t act].”

The expansion in demand from consumers for plant-based foods as an eco-friendly alternative to meat is adding to the pressure, suggests Maurice Schweitzer, professor of operations and information management at the Wharton School of Business. The plant-based meat industry is expected to touch $85 billion by 2030. “There are broad trends that have boosted demand for plant-based alternatives to meat,” he says.

But there’s growing evidence that irrespective of size, no beef company will remain immune from the growing backlash against the meat industry’s carbon footprint, experts say. It’s a reality even JBS appears to tacitly acknowledge — in May, it announced plans to introduce a plant-based burger to
Brazil.

Wow thanks for that article! A bright light at the end of the tunnel.

149387_co2.jpg

This was surprising - I had no idea lamb was so resource intensive.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
Is this mostly due to energy required to care / feed for them? I.e. if power supplied was 100% renewable, what would these values go to?

Found this article through EWG with a similar infographic:
The Impacts - 2011 Meat Eaters Guide | Meat Eater's Guide to Climate Change + Health | Environmental Working Group

Lamb, beef and cheese have the highest emissions. This is true, in part, because they come from ruminant animals that constantly generate methane through their digestive process, called enteric fermentation. Methane (CH4) – a greenhouse gas 25 times more (CH4) potent than carbon dioxide (CO2), accounts for nearly half the emissions generated in this study’s Nebraska beef production model (see chart below). Pound for pound, ruminants also require significantly more energy-intensive feed and generate more manure than pork or chicken (see figure 2).

• Lamb has the greatest impact, generating 39.3 kg (86.4 lbs) of carbon dioxide equivalents (CO2e) for each kilo eaten – about 50 percent more than beef. While beef and lamb generate comparable amounts of methane and require similar quantities of feed, lamb generates more emissions per kilo in part because it produces less edible meat relative to the sheep’s live weight. Since just one percent of the meat consumed by Americans is lamb, however, it contributes very little to overall U.S. greenhouse gas emissions.

Reactions: ZeApelido
It looks like lambs are ruminants (same as cows) but must generate a lot more gas.
From above your post:
While beef and lamb generate comparable amounts of methane and require similar quantities of feed, lamb generates more emissions per kilo in part because it produces less edible meat relative to the sheep’s live weight.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
Tyson, Nestle, Hormel, Kellogg, other big players...

Anyone know if any of their promised products to complete with Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods have shown up in stores or restaurants yet?

Not much from the big players (yet), but I know Tyson is particular is working on it via Tyson Ventures:
Tyson Ventures
Tyson Debuts “Plant-Based” Chicken Nuggets Made with Egg

The Impossible Burger just debuted in grocery stores this week!
Impossible Burgers Make Retail Debut at Gelson’s in Southern California

Apparently no “like” privileges to give available yet on my side as a new member.

Probably bad news for stock prices of small leader players like Beyond Meat, but once the big competitors have products on the market, price per patty or pound should come down to earth.

The magic price point may come when price undercuts that of real meat. At that point some meat eaters may switch for reasons other than ethics, diet, or environment. There’s a whole lot of market potential there.

Reactions: ohmman
Apparently no “like” privileges to give available yet on my side as a new member.

Probably bad news for stock prices of small leader players like Beyond Meat, but once the big competitors have products on the market, price per patty or pound should come down to earth.

The magic price point may come when price undercuts that of real meat. At that point some meat eaters may switch for reasons other than ethics, diet, or environment. There’s a whole lot of market potential there.
Welcome to TMC iPlug !

I'd love to see the mega-corps enter the Alt-tissue market but it strikes me as similar to the Detroit Auto makers trying to compete Vs Tesla. They are shackled by huge sunk costs, long term contracts, massive special interests and a legion of managers who only know how to plasti-wrap slaughtered animals for consumption.