Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Love
Reactions: replicant and JRP3
I've long said that "tradition" is just another way of saying "lack of imagination".
'Tradition' has been co-opted by the reactionary, conservative crowd.
It used to mean respect for the past. And respect did not imply refusal of progress, it meant acknowledgement of historical accomplishments and continuing approval of traits viewed as positive such as courage.

Reactions: jerry33
I don't think "reactionary" is a problem with of us conservatives, I find my peers quite willing to try new things, tradition be damned, and we are usually very moderate but forced to exist further right in an attempt to balance the loud far left.

The whole problem is that it's not what consumers want. We want burgers. (I used "We" very loosely, I'd be perfectly happy with a soy burger, I just didn't like the BYND meat burger).

You're not going to force change by making critical arguments about the benefits of changing ... invent a better burger and watch how fast thing change.

Why is that ?

Because people rarely look past the tip of their nose ... most just don't care enough to inconvenience themselves with any productive change ... It's convenient for folks to be internet activists on social media, but ask them to give up something they don't want to and see how that goes ... well, I guess you see how that goes ... there is way too much to unpack to not write a composition on that question :D

Humans excel on the brink so I guess we'll see what happens when we get there ...

In what way is ignoring a critical matter convenient?

That's just it .. it's not a matter most people really care about .. so make a better burger or chicken finger at the same or lower price with benefits that someone is interested in and they will consume it .. but just spouting off "you must save the environment by paying more for something that isn't the same as what you want or are used to" isn't going to do much for the sake of change .. they will just smile and nod in agreement and move right along to the butcher ..

That's just it .. it's not a matter most people really care about .. so make a better burger or chicken finger at the same or lower price with benefits that someone is interested in and they will consume it .. but just spouting off "you must save the environment by paying more for something that isn't the same as what you want or are used to" isn't going to do much for the sake of change .. they will just smile and nod in agreement and move right along to the butcher ..
If it is accepted as critical, how is it not cared about ?

That just does seem to follow

If it is accepted as critical, how is it not cared about ?

That just does seem to follow

Getting a little off topic, but to answer your question:

I have gleaned that at one time or another in your professional career you were/are a physician. I assume that you had patients of all types over the years. Did all your patients heed your professional and expert advice when it came to their medical issues? Were some of them recidivists? My personal physicians and physician clients have relayed to me that one of the most frustrating parts of their practices was that their patients ignored or dismissed their advice. Their health did not improve; it got worse. Their surgical procedure did not heal properly, and it had to be redone. Likely a host of other complications. It is just human nature for many people to reject the wise counsel of others and do what they want to do, consequences be damned. It is easier to maintain the same old inertia than it is to change it.

Unless of course you were a ME. If so, then your patients were beyond any medical assistance. But I am sure they told quite the story!

Then why are the more expensive yet not quite as good burgers and chicken replacements selling so well? I'd say there is some inherent desire in a significant number of people to not eat animals and/or be healthier.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Then why are the more expensive yet not quite as good burgers and chicken replacements selling so well? I'd say there is some inherent desire in a significant number of people to not eat animals and/or be healthier.

They are presumably selling well (right now) because of vegans looking for options and folks, like me, that are curious. Let's see in 3 years where they stand.

My point was that if you want mainstream adoption it better have the taste and texture like and cost the same or less than beef. Otherwise, it's just a fad.

I for one would pick a soy burger over a beef burger any day, I just love the taste of soy burgers, but the BYND burgers tasted like soggy layered cardboard. The folks that sampled with me agreed. My confidence in the long term performance of the company, just based on this experience and how much more than animal meat the product is, took a hit.

I'd be curious of the adoption rate of beef lovers beyond sampling.

Last edited: