Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just stop eating animals!

'Tip of the iceberg': is our destruction of nature responsible for Covid-19?

'Tip of the iceberg': is our destruction of nature responsible for Covid-19?

Research suggests that outbreaks of animal-borne and other infectious diseases such as Ebola, Sars, bird flu and now Covid-19, caused by a novel coronavirus, are on the rise. Pathogens are crossing from animals to humans, and many are able to spread quickly to new places. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that three-quarters of new or emerging diseases that infect humans originate in animals.

“We invade tropical forests and other wild landscapes, which harbour so many species of animals and plants – and within those creatures, so many unknown viruses,” David Quammen, author of Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Pandemic, recently wrote in the New York Times. “We cut the trees; we kill the animals or cage them and send them to markets. We disrupt ecosystems, and we shake viruses loose from their natural hosts. When that happens, they need a new host. Often, we are it.”

The difference between now and a few decades ago, Fevre says, is that diseases are likely to spring up in both urban and natural environments. “We have created densely packed populations where alongside us are bats and rodents and birds, pets and other living things. That creates intense interaction and opportunities for things to move from species to species,” he says.

Research also suggests that humans have been eating animals and poultry for thousands of years at a minimum. USDA chicken can be processed in China and the pork industry can regulate itself. The current health debacle happened because one person supposedly ate something that wasn't a vegetable. Amazing. Choose your truth wisely.

• Disagree
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
Plant based options are just healthier. Better for people, animals and the planet.
People are moving away from meat to plant based options for health reasons.
Look around. We have a huge obesity epidemic.

Just because you cut out meat, does not negate obesity. I've seen plenty of fat vegetarians. After all, French fries are potatos cooked in peanut oil.

Research also suggests that humans have been eating animals and poultry for thousands of years at a minimum. USDA chicken can be processed in China and the pork industry can regulate itself. The current health debacle happened because one person supposedly ate something that wasn't a vegetable. Amazing. Choose your truth wisely.
My truth is the overwhelming scientific consenses that meat is bad for health, bad for the environment and bad for the animals. Its been that way as long as we've been raising animals and eating them.

The “moat” for BYND is first mover brand awareness. Particularly important for a new food type, because people need to trust what they are eating is safe, so they’ll go with a big brand.

BYND and Impossible are carving up between them all the big partnerships: McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, and getting branding rights in all these partnerships.

They are also getting scale, which allows them to reduce prices.

So any new competitor is going to have to make an enormous investment in advertising and unprofitable first sales to catch up.

As for pace of innovation, there’s a lot of innovation left to accomplish: better taste, healthier, less costly to produce.

From an investor standpoint, the best part is how ground floor this moment is. BYND’s market cap is a tiny fraction of TSLAs, in a market that is just as big as TSLAs.

And the investment case for both involve the same question: demand for a new category in a huge industry. If you believe that demand for electric cars is only growing, invest in TSLA. If you believe demand for meat substitutes is only growing, invest in BYND.

BYND and Impossible are carving up between them all the big partnerships: McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, and getting branding rights in all these partnerships.

It's a shame that Impossible Foods never had an IPO. I've tried both Beyond burgers and Impossible burgers, and I preferred the texture and taste of the Impossible burger... So I'm hesitant to invest in a company when I know they have a serious competitor that I can't also invest in.

Picked up the book clean meat by Ray Shapiro recently after hearing about it in on a podcast. Just started reading it last night but what I have read is fairly interesting. Apparently I'm pretty far behind for just learning about meat grown in a lab had no ideao_O The past two times I've went to Burger King I got the impossible whopper and I can't tell the difference. At some point I would assume it will just make more sense to do away with animal agriculture but then again I guess we're in the same boat with ICE and fossil fuels, how long can people hang on? Idk but now I've found something else that is interesting guess I'll have to keep digging

It's a shame that Impossible Foods never had an IPO. I've tried both Beyond burgers and Impossible burgers, and I preferred the texture and taste of the Impossible burger... So I'm hesitant to invest in a company when I know they have a serious competitor that I can't also invest in.
These are early days. Both company’s products will improve.

There’s plenty of room in this space for two big competitors. I’d invest in both if I could.

Picked up the book clean meat by Ray Shapiro recently after hearing about it in on a podcast. Just started reading it last night but what I have read is fairly interesting. Apparently I'm pretty far behind for just learning about meat grown in a lab had no ideao_O The past two times I've went to Burger King I got the impossible whopper and I can't tell the difference. At some point I would assume it will just make more sense to do away with animal agriculture but then again I guess we're in the same boat with ICE and fossil fuels, how long can people hang on? Idk but now I've found something else that is interesting guess I'll have to keep digging
Right. ICE cars will be on the road for many more years to come, way after most people understand that electric cars are a better alternative in every way. Same for meat.

"I've seen" isn't science. The science says that vegetarians have a significantly lower occurrence of obesity. And I'm saying that as an omnivore.

The original poser had "Look around" to indicate the obesity problem, so I responded in kind.

That being said, your own link doesn't say vegetarian =/= obese. It still happens, which is my point.

"In conclusion, this study showed that all variants of vegetarian diets (vegan, lacto-ovo, and pesco- and semi-vegetarian) were associated with substantially lower risk of type 2 diabetes and lower BMI than nonvegetarian diets." (emphasis added)​

Lower, not none.

The original poser had "Look around" to indicate the obesity problem, so I responded in kind.

That being said, your own link doesn't say vegetarian =/= obese. It still happens, which is my point.

"In conclusion, this study showed that all variants of vegetarian diets (vegan, lacto-ovo, and pesco- and semi-vegetarian) were associated with substantially lower risk of type 2 diabetes and lower BMI than nonvegetarian diets." (emphasis added)​

Lower, not none.
I don’t think anyone suggested it was eliminated.

Reactions: JRP3 and mspohr
Agree that plant based nutrition is better for health of people and planet.

Do not believe, however, that Beyond Meat and Impossible products are healthy examples of plant based foods or environmentally virtuous.

Far better to eat the unprocessed plant based foods instead of these Frankenburgers.
This has been studied and discussed at length and these plant based burgers are healthier for people and the environment (as well as animals).
Here's an example of one "Lightlife" burger that I happened to have.
- pea protein
- canola oil
- corn starch
- yeast extract
- coconut oil
- salt
- beet powder
- onion
The ingredients themselves are healthy and the result is healthy. The only criticism I have is that there is probably more salt than recommended but that is true of all processed foods. All of these ingredients are plant based and have much less impact on the environment than meat.