Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, I watched the videos. Absolute confirmation bias created bullsugar.

So somehow the diet that humans existed and thrived upon for the past 200,000 years is somehow killing us and needs to be replaced by Beyond Meat fake food? That is your core argument correct? :mad::(I'll bet my 14 year old daughter could whip that vegan weakling. :D:p:D

Last edited:
BTW, I watched the videos. Absolute confirmation bias created bullsugar.

So somehow the diet that humans existed and thrived upon for the past 200,000 years is somehow killing us and needs to be replaced by Beyond Meat fake food? That is your core argument correct? :mad::(I'll bet my 14 year old daughter could whip that vegan weakling. :D:p:D
Again, what does someone's appearance have to do with anything? I guess you'd rather see Vegan body builders

• Disagree
Reactions: danman9450
In a desperate attempt to bring the thread back...

there's a gourmet burger joint in La Jolla (San Diego beach/vacation area) that advertises the availability of Impossible Burgers. I decided that I would try one for lunch, so I went down there, and there were little signs on the cash registers that said basically "Sorry, having trouble getting Impossible, but for the time being you can get a Beyond burger instead." So I got one. It tasted OK, but certainly not like beef to me. I still haven't had a good opportunity to try the Impossible.

• Informative
Reactions: tander and abasile

there's a gourmet burger joint in La Jolla (San Diego beach/vacation area) that advertises the availability of Impossible Burgers. I decided that I would try one for lunch, so I went down there, and there were little signs on the cash registers that said basically "Sorry, having trouble getting Impossible, but for the time being you can get a Beyond burger instead." So I got one. It tasted OK, but certainly not like beef to me. I still haven't had a good opportunity to try the Impossible.

I got to try one today at a Burger King in their 'Impossible Whopper". Like the Beyond Burger at Carl's Jr it was good, good enough I would get it again, but not great like an In-n-Out Double Double! :)

Lots of confirmation bias when it comes to nutrition, in general and on this thread. Look at the people around the world with the best results both in chronic diseases and longevity. It becomes pretty obvious what the truth is, and it's rarely found in the U.S.

I’ve tried Beyond and Impossible several times each in the last few months. I’d say Impossible is much better, tastes like beef even when eaten without condiments. Beyond has the right look and the texture is ok, but it doesn’t really “taste” like beef. When “raw” (they sell it at the grocery too), it kinda smells like cat food to be honest. But it’s good enough that it gets a pass when charbroiled and fully loaded up with condiments (such as in the Carl’s Jr. offering). Every person will be different. I guess I really like the taste and smell of burnt blood so the Impossible with its heme molecule is a much better fake for me. Disclosure: I’m medium rare ribeye kinda guy but for health reasons I’m cutting back on red meat so I fit the target demographic of these companies.

Exercise does not cause weight loss long term.
You can do the research yourself. FWIW, I am Board certified in Nutrition Support. I can send you any references you want. But I doubt you would listen. You go ahead and keep eating your fake meat. ;)

No I agree with your, sort of.

I was saying exercise is important in reducing / preventing type 2 diabetes, even if you stay overweight.

Humans can handle a diversity of food. Vegan food isn't ancestrally optimal, that's for sure. Like the loss of all the B vitamins is a sign of that. But while "artificially" food with added nutrients doesn't sound great, it may provide benefit relative to costs of high meat consumption, including health and environmental.

I'm waiting for true artificial lab meat, that is interesting to me.

Humans can handle a diversity of food. Vegan food isn't ancestrally optimal, that's for sure. Like the loss of all the B vitamins is a sign of that.
We probably got a lot of B12 from dirt and water in the past, so the lack of B12 in modern water and plants doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't previously available on a vegan diet. Not that I think there is any evidence that any of our ancestors were strict vegans, I'd assume some insect consumption at least.

Reactions: ZeApelido
Who said I like Beyond Meat?

Peter Attia once displayed a comparison of a VO2max test on himself before / after low-carb diet acclimation. He showed that (voila!) when you don't ingest carbohydrates, your body uses more fat for aerobic respiration.

Unfortunately he ignored the column in his test showing that his VO2max decreased, along with the workload at VO2max, indicating his performanced worsened. Which is expecting, since you know, aerobic and anaerobic glycolysis provide a higher rate of ATP than ATP from fat stores.

Also, you get the same results while eating a normal diet, then run yourself into the ground through hard exercise (depleting glycogen stores) and watch your fat oxidation increase while performance decreases.

So essentially he showed how low-carb ruined his performance, but he tried to skew it to be a positive for performance.

Snake
Oil
Salesman

Who said I like Beyond Meat?
Do you? Are you Vegan? Do tell. It's similar to position disclosure when covering stocks.
Full disclosure: I have been eating a predominately low carb diet for over 25 years. I am not particularly interested in the carnivore diet because I prefer adding veggies to my daily diet for taste and variety. I also eat carbs and drink wine and beer. But my carb intake is not daily and no sugar is usually consumed. But the carnivore diet is a safe and natural diet that some humans followed for thousands of years. If you can show me a vegan population with that kind of track record I would love to hear about it. I have yet to find one but maybe my confirmation bias has blinded me.

Do you? Are you Vegan? Do tell. It's similar to position disclosure when covering stocks.
Full disclosure: I have been eating a predominately low carb diet for over 25 years. I am not particularly interested in the carnivore diet because I prefer adding veggies to my daily diet for taste and variety. I also eat carbs and drink wine and beer. But my carb intake is not daily and no sugar is usually consumed. But the carnivore diet is a safe and natural diet that some humans followed for thousands of years. If you can show me a vegan population with that kind of track record I would love to hear about it. I have yet to find one but maybe my confirmation bias has blinded me.

Um ok.

I have a PhD in biomedical engineering with a focus on biomechanics / human performance. I taught a bunch of classes on exercise physiology and had to understand a lot of nutrition research for improving athletic performance.

On the side I personally consider myself a pretty developed athlete attempting to maintain lots of lean muscle while also performing all levels of endurance activities. This requires good application of nutrition or else performance / weight / hormonal balance will suffer.

For endurance athletes, no on in their right mind would consider generally "high" carbohydrate diet to be detrimental. At best, there is tepid research for having some days of training be low carb, but that's it and never when racing. Endurance athletes' bodies handle carb intake like a champ. Who would have that moving around is good for insulin regulation?

Carbohydrates for short burst movements or sedentary lifestyles are obviously less necessary.

What is necessary is a certain amount of protein / weight with a complete amino acid profile, enough fruits and veggies to get all the vitamins & nutrients, and enough omega-3 fatty acids. That's it. Varying carb / fat in addition to that is up to you, and make affect how much you eat in total, but it still comes down to total calories.

When clinicians try to have obese people lose weight rapidly, they stick them on the sort of diet above (Protein Sparing Modified Fast). When dieting, you actually need more protein than usual to help preserve the body from breaking down lean tissue).

What do I eat? Whatever the hell I want. Provided I get enough of the essential nutrients, and enough carbs to help supplement my exercise routine. That includes a lot of chocolate. And meat and fish.

I have never had Beyond Meat, but I'm sure I will at some point. I don't really care as long as complete amino acid profiles can be consumed (which isn't that hard).

Mod: edited to read the gray type. Don't make our lives hard. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and abasile