Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike yourself, right? :rolleyes:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/04/13/ask-the-expert-concerns-about-canola-oil/

Again, as I've said, I wouldn't eat it every day, same as a regular hamburger when I used to eat those.
Harvard is run by Walter Willet on the nutrition side.
Read up about him. He has been instrumental in getting dietary guidelines to the point they are today. He is a total shill and his craft (epidemiology) is almost worthless as a tool for specific dietary advice.

Yes I'll admit I am biased. We all are. But I am open to learning and critical thinking. I think you probably are too if you put your guard down.
I remember when I ran track in college reading "Eat to Win" which was all about carb loading for athletic performance. I used to eat grape nuts for breakfast and spaghetti almost every night. 25 years ago when I first started learning about the Atkins diet, I thought it was total crap. I had been taught the exact opposite.
Then I read some more, and then I tried it.
I'm 52 today and I'll put my health, including my lipid profile and A1C up against anyone who had been a vegan for 25 years.
I do have about 20 pounds I wish I didn't. That's because I like to brew and drink beer :(

Reactions: tander
Harvard is run by Walter Willet on the nutrition side.
Read up about him. He has been instrumental in getting dietary guidelines to the point they are today. He is a total shill and his craft (epidemiology) is almost worthless as a tool for specific dietary advice.

Yes I'll admit I am biased. We all are. But I am open to learning and critical thinking. I think you probably are too if you put your guard down.
I remember when I ran track in college reading "Eat to Win" which was all about carb loading for athletic performance. I used to eat grape nuts for breakfast and spaghetti almost every night. 25 years ago when I first started learning about the Atkins diet, I thought it was total crap. I had been taught the exact opposite.
Then I read some more, and then I tried it.
I'm 52 today and I'll put my health, including my lipid profile and A1C up against anyone who had been a vegan for 25 years.
I do have about 20 pounds I wish I didn't. That's because I like to brew and drink beer :(
What Does the Blood Say After 30 Days of Going Vegan?
My ratio is 2.3 with eating burgers and dairy a few times a week(more if I counts bits of egg/cheese in stuff).Not sure about a1c. I like beer too but I try to keep it to a minimum. Happy Birthday btw!

Last edited:
But I am open to learning and critical thinking. I think you probably are too if you put your guard down.
That's rather amusing since you're the one rejecting new concepts. I've done a lot of research and found a lot of data suggesting that meat may not be ideal. I'm not vegan but since I've gone more heavily plant based my sessional allergies have gone away. And I've always been a healthier than average eater and am usually 5 to 10 lbs away from a six pack, just never willing to make that extra push to get there.

That's rather amusing since you're the one rejecting new concepts. I've done a lot of research and found a lot of data suggesting that meat may not be ideal. I'm not vegan but since I've gone more heavily plant based my sessional allergies have gone away. And I've always been a healthier than average eater and am usually 5 to 10 lbs away from a six pack, just never willing to make that extra push to get there.
The reason I am against Beyond meat, and other fake meat companies, is that these are being pushed by a global agenda of driving down meat consumption. Current push is from EAT Lancet. The entire thing though is a carefully orchestrated campaign backed by the agricultural industry wearing a Tech mask.
I love new ideas. I drive a Tesla after all. And since I do NOT believe in CAGW my reasons for buying the car have everything to do with the tech and the driving experience.
Beyond Meat just rings a little too close to Solyent Green for my tastes. :eek:

Good gosh I think Impossible is even worse. Good luck with that:

To produce heme protein from non-animal sources, Impossible Foods selected the leghemoglobin molecule found naturally in the roots of soy plants.[21] To make it in large quantities, the company's scientists genetically engineered a yeast and used a fermentation process very similar to the brewing process used to make some types of beer.[22]

Musings on Markets: Meatless Future or Vegan Delusions? The Beyond Meat Valuation

Interesting to see Aswath's take on BYND.

"With my story, which I believe reflects an upbeat story for the company, the value that I obtain for its equity is $3.3 billion, yielding a value per share of about $47. At the end of June 10, when I completed my valuation, the stock price was close to $170, well above my estimated value. What the stock dropped almost $41 on June 11 to $127/share, it still remained over valued."

About 11am PST I was near a Carl’s Jr. and stopped in for a BYND burger. About this time the stock went up $10/share. I’ll be sure to keep you guys informed as to my next indulgence.

Ok, as you were arguing nutrition. Why not throw in some religion and politics too for the full trifecta?

"Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything." Genesis 9:3.

Therefore I am eating both animals and plants as instructed. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: tander and dqd88

To produce heme protein from non-animal sources, Impossible Foods selected the leghemoglobin molecule found naturally in the roots of soy plants.[21] To make it in large quantities, the company's scientists genetically engineered a yeast and used a fermentation process very similar to the brewing process used to make some types of beer.[22]

That's their key ingredient and could potentially be the Achilles heel once competition intensifies. Beyond wins on the "organic, non-GMO" front. Ideally Impossible should find another way to produce heme without genetic manipulation. Though personally I still prefer the taste of Impossible.

The reason I am against Beyond meat, and other fake meat companies, is that these are being pushed by a global agenda of driving down meat consumption.
Actually they are meeting a growing demand for animal free products. This market was expanding before Beyond and Impossible, they are just the latest and greatest.
And since I do NOT believe in CAGW
So along with conspiracy theories you're also anti science. OK, got it. No wonder you can ignore all the evidence that meat may not be healthy.

• Disagree
Reactions: Swampgator

So you have a problem with brewing beer? There is no evidence that GMO foods are harmful.

I do have about 20 pounds I wish I didn't. That's because I like to brew and drink beer
Not vegan, I'm a life long vegetarian. When doing keto my A1C was 4.6 (now its 5). Lipid profile is great. Body fat below 11%. Anything else ? ;)

Reactions: tander
TG/HDL ratio is the most important predictor of heart disease and stroke. Much better predictor than TC/LDL or TC/HDL
What is your cholesterol ratio?
Which exact ratio - and why does it matter ? BTW, my HDL > my TG (so TG/HDL < 1). My LDL is slightly more than HDL. But, LDL-c doesn't really matter.

The most important thing about lipid profile is the "pattern". You get that only with advanced "NMR" lipid profile. Pattern A is associated with less risk of CVD, pattern B with more risk of CVD.

Low-density lipoprotein - Wikipedia

Read any of these papers : https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,48&q=pattern+A+cvd+ldl-p&btnG=

Which exact ratio - and why does it matter ? BTW, my HDL > my TG (so TG/HDL < 1). My LDL is slightly more than HDL. But, LDL-c doesn't really matter.

The most important thing about lipid profile is the "pattern". You get that only with advanced "NMR" lipid profile. Pattern A is associated with less risk of CVD, pattern B with more risk of CVD.

Read any of these papers : https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,48&q=pattern+A+cvd+ldl-p&btnG=
If your HDL is higher than your TG you are doing great. Most likely not a regular sugar eater either.

And trust me, any paper you have read on nutrition, lipid profiles, CVD, or cancer......I have read long ago. I'm pretty old and this is kinda my job. ;)

I don't really know much about them and don't worry about it unless the doctor says I should.
If your HDL is higher than your TG you are doing great. Most likely not a regular sugar eater either.

And trust me, any paper you have read on nutrition, lipid profiles, CVD, or cancer......I have read long ago. I'm pretty old and this is kinda my job. ;)
Have you read these?
Could A Vegan Diet Help Prevent Cancer?