Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bypass Lane Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was waiting for the highway / city stack merge (FSD 11) in hopes that it would fix a major issue for me since the inception of FSD beta: Bypass Lanes.

In Minnesota, our two lane highways quite often have bypass lanes and they are marked with white signs that say "BYPASS LANE". The car consistently jumps into the bypass lane and back out of the bypass lane (often crossing the double yellow lines into oncoming traffic). It isn't unusual to have two or three bypass lanes in a row, all very short, which results in a terrifying ride for passengers and oncoming traffic.

Here is a short video to show what I mean:
I've tried adjusting my aggressiveness settings to no avail. If I see a bypass lane, I disengage, which basically ruins any drive in suburbia or rural Minnesota.

Am i the only one experiencing this behavior? No one seems to complain about bypass lanes and it makes me worry perhaps something might be wonky with my cameras or hardware?

• Disagree
Reactions: KrenGrl
Perhaps the car is laterally jerking into the bypass lane? That might not be visible in the dashcam.

NOA has issues when it encounters an additional lane branching off of an existing one, similar to what OP shows. The car often picks one, then the other, jerking laterally as it does this. My hope is that single stack will improve this.

Two things I noticed - 1, the sign does say bypass lane, but we know that Tesla cannot read signs yet, so that point is moot. 2, from the Tesla FSD standpoint, it appears as a lane split, which happens all the time on freeways and highways. The Tesla picked a lane, in this case the right lane, in the split, and then had to make an adjustment as the lane merged back into the normal lane. In the lane spits I have near me, the Tesla nearly always picks the right lane in the split. I'd be curious how the Tesla would react if the bypass lane was on the left instead of the right - would the car pick the right lane (the correct lane) in this case?

nothing viewed there was what I would define as Terrifying
As long as nobody is coming towards you in the other direction, no. But crossing a double yellow into potentially oncoming traffic on a 2-lane road certainly would get my full attention.

Maybe it's a Midwest thing. We're not big fans of playing chicken with our cars. 😉 No doubt, a major safety bug.

Reactions: SpykeDaddy
As long as nobody is coming towards you in the other direction, no. But crossing a double yellow into potentially oncoming traffic on a 2-lane road certainly would get my full attention.

Maybe it's a Midwest thing. We're not big fans of playing chicken with our cars. 😉 No doubt, a major safety bug.
Again, as viewed. There were no cars so there was no chicken playing.

• Funny
Reactions: KrenGrl and KArnold
Unless I misunderstood you, the video doesn’t show what you’re describing.
I probably did a poor job of explaining it. I don't have a video where there are oncoming cars.

But, if you watch the video again - there are two bypass lanes. Both are very short and in sequence. The car immediately jumps into the bypass lane, come back out, crosses the double yellow lines, then goes back into lane, jumps into the bypass lane and then crosses the yellow lines again. Oncoming cars think I'm jumping into their lane and passengers are subjected to harrowing in/out lane changes TWICE is less than a few seconds. All on a 55 MPG highway. Hope that helps!

The video was just an example of how it is treating the bypass lane.

I had hoped the single stack would have solved this because technically this is a highway...but it did not. Very frustrating. Just yesterday, the car almost hit a mailbox in the bypass lane because it jerked so quickly to the right to enter the bypass lane. It's weird behavior.

I just wish I could continue to report the issue, but the report button is gone now. I just let it jump and then disengage, in hope Tesla devs see this.

Perhaps this is a Minnesota thing? Aren't there bypass lanes in rural streets outside the Midwest? Maybe that's the problem - none of this is in California, maybe?

• Helpful
Perhaps the car is laterally jerking into the bypass lane? That might not be visible in the dashcam.

NOA has issues when it encounters an additional lane branching off of an existing one, similar to what OP shows. The car often picks one, then the other, jerking laterally as it does this. My hope is that single stack will improve this.
Yes. The car isn't even hesitating. It immediately jerks to the right. I would have thought the software would give it a second or two before making that maneuver. It's like it is ignoring the double yellow lines and is following the single white line on the right side of the road.

I have observed a couple things:

1) Longer bypass lanes will prompt the car to say "changing lanes" and it changes immediately upon confirmation. Does this mean it thinks it's a highway?

2) If there is a car in front of me, sometimes it follows the car straight and ignore the bypass lane. Other times, it jerks right and jerks left. These are the days I wish I had the bumper sticker saying, "I'm not crazy. My car is driving."

Autopilot is great for the relatively easy stuff. Making long distance trips, in middle lanes, on major highways much easier.

On the challenging stuff, like carpool lanes right next to barriers, lots of on/off ramps in the right lane, pop up construction zones. merging cars, motorcycles, trucks and construction equipment, it is far better for the driver to maintain individual control.

Gotta choose your battles while the autopilot evolves.

But, if you watch the video again - there are two bypass lanes. Both are very short and in sequence. The car immediately jumps into the bypass lane, come back out, crosses the double yellow lines, then goes back into lane, jumps into the bypass lane and then crosses the yellow lines again. Oncoming cars think I'm jumping into their lane and passengers are subjected to harrowing in/out lane changes TWICE is less than a few seconds. All on a 55 MPG highway. Hope that helps!
I did watch the video again. It only shows one bypass lane, not two, and it's not obvious that the car is crossing the double yellow lines after the bypass lane ends. I see that now, but it's subtle. The video is only 11 seconds, so maybe you think you posted a longer version.

• Informative
I did watch the video again. It only shows one bypass lane, not two, and it's not obvious that the car is crossing the double yellow lines after the bypass lane ends. I see that now, but it's subtle. The video is only 11 seconds, so maybe you think you posted a longer version.
Was just trying to keep the video as short as possible. The next bypass is literally starting again at the very end of the video. Didn't want anyone getting sick watching it yo-yo. (I joke.)

I would estimate the car was only a foot over the double yellow lines. I don't mind it getting close, but kinda thought the car would treat the double yellow lines with "never cross" logic. I think it's jerking in and out so fast, it can't compensate? I am going 55 mph - which is the speed limit there.

The only feedback I've received so far is people picking at me that my my video "isn't what I'm describing" (which I never said it was) and that it wasn't terrifying enough. The last thing I want to do is recreate the video with oncoming traffic. It's not safe. If you don't believe it was terrifying for me, that's fine. I still have a question I'm trying to get answered.

I had hope a video of the car ducking in and out of the bypass lane would help clarify the issue I'm experiencing. Video is better than any description. I'm not looking for anyone's feedback on the video.

I'm going to ask the same honest, genuine question again:

Is anyone experiencing this behavior? I'm trying to discern if this issue is limited to just my car or just flaws yet to be fixed in the software.

Thank you!

Well, I had a situation related to that a couple of days ago. Bypass is for a left turn onto a freeway entrance ramp. Section of road preceding the bypass comes from a roundabout so cars are accelerating back up to the speed limit of 55 mph. What happened to me was "grandpa" in front of me was accelerating leisurely and driving straight through the left turn lane (normal behavior when no cars are turning). Model Y took the bypass which meant it had to overtake and pass "grandpa". The merge back to one lane occurs too quickly for this to work, so I have to hit the brakes to disengage.
To OPs question, I don't notice the Y crossing double yellows. OTOH, it's clear to me that FSD doesn't waste space clearing obstacles. I mean it whizzes by garbage cans set on the shoulder and slow moving vehicles a lot closer than I would. So it might look like the car is crossing the double lines when it's really just barely skirting them.

Reactions: SpykeDaddy