TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bypassing the TPMS

Discussion in 'Model S' started by lance, May 29, 2018.

1. lance

lance Member

Is it possible to turn off the TPMS? It's annoying. I don't need to install sensors in all my tires. I think I'll be fine without them as I have been in the past 30 years of driving.

2. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

While I may agree with you... there’s no way to bypass them. Federal Law thanks to the whole Firestone/Ford Exploder episode.
    I don’t install TPMS in my winter wheels, but then again, only swap when actual snow falls. I live with the errors/warnings for the few days (at a time) that the winter set is actually on the car.

3. Hawesome

Hawesome Member

mine have been going off lately with the extreme heat...has anyone had that issues, as it seems the pressure in the tires fluctuates around 5psi +/- while driving in this weather. common?

4. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

Tire pressures fluctuate while driving no matter what the temperature is. For every 10° F drop in ambient temperature the pressure in the tire drops 1 psi. You should be checking the cold pressure in your tires at least once a month.

• Informative x 1
  5. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

What error message have you been getting? I've only seen the tire pressure too low warning.

6. strider

strider Active Member

Yes, Federal Law, cannot by bypassed or silenced without hacking the car. We are having huge problems with this on the Roadster Forum. The 2.5 Roadster TPMS is a steaming pile of crap and in some cases (including mine) is unfixable by Tesla. We are cooking up a way to insert signals onto the bus to "give the computer what it wants" and silence the alarms.

• Informative x 1
  7. lance

lance Member

Thanks for all that input folks. Much appreciated. I've had the TPMS module replaced over a year ago. Out of warranty the cost was exorbitant. It also completely shut my car down when it failed and rendered the car undriveable. That sucked.

8. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

That's bizarre, I've driven without TPS for months when I bought new wheels and had to order new TPS for them,error is constant but car is fully functional with no TPS.

9. lance

lance Member

It is bizarre. I've been running with the error for three years now but when my main battery died and they gave me a loaner battery, which I still have since March 2017, they said it was because of a faulty TPMS thingy ma jig. Go figure

10. strider

strider Active Member

That makes no sense whatsoever. Our original Baolong (that's what the 2.5 Roadsters and early Model S's have - cheapest of the cheap garbage) system went out in our Model S and we drove with them broken for a long time (not 3 years, more like 1) before we gave in and had them upgraded to the new Continental system used in the current models. No battery issues cropped up during the error time.

How could a TPMS kill a traction battery? I could see it maybe trashing a 12V by somehow running when the car is off and consuming extra power due to being in an error state but the main battery? I think that was a BS answer. But Tesla replaced the battery (halfway) so -<shrug>-?

But I'm confused. How could you have driven for 3 years with a bum TPMS? That means you still had warranty coverage when it went out (unless you drive a ton of miles)?

• Like x 1
  11. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

It can't do that, TPMS is powered by batteries inside each sensor, not from the car. The car only checks for TPMS data after you start driving, since the wheels can't send data until they're spinning anyway.

Strider is right, TPMS is covered by warranty - mine used to be the old style and was upgraded in warranty to the new one that shows each wheel unique.