Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bypassing the TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I may agree with you... there’s no way to bypass them. Federal Law thanks to the whole Firestone/Ford Exploder episode.
I don’t install TPMS in my winter wheels, but then again, only swap when actual snow falls. I live with the errors/warnings for the few days (at a time) that the winter set is actually on the car.

Yes, Federal Law, cannot by bypassed or silenced without hacking the car. We are having huge problems with this on the Roadster Forum. The 2.5 Roadster TPMS is a steaming pile of crap and in some cases (including mine) is unfixable by Tesla. We are cooking up a way to insert signals onto the bus to "give the computer what it wants" and silence the alarms.

• Informative
Reactions: bayareadriver
Thanks for all that input folks. Much appreciated. I've had the TPMS module replaced over a year ago. Out of warranty the cost was exorbitant. It also completely shut my car down when it failed and rendered the car undriveable. That sucked.

Thanks for all that input folks. Much appreciated. I've had the TPMS module replaced over a year ago. Out of warranty the cost was exorbitant. It also completely shut my car down when it failed and rendered the car undriveable. That sucked.

That's bizarre, I've driven without TPS for months when I bought new wheels and had to order new TPS for them,error is constant but car is fully functional with no TPS.

That's bizarre, I've driven without TPS for months when I bought new wheels and had to order new TPS for them,error is constant but car is fully functional with no TPS.
It is bizarre. I've been running with the error for three years now but when my main battery died and they gave me a loaner battery, which I still have since March 2017, they said it was because of a faulty TPMS thingy ma jig. Go figure

It is bizarre. I've been running with the error for three years now but when my main battery died and they gave me a loaner battery, which I still have since March 2017, they said it was because of a faulty TPMS thingy ma jig. Go figure
That makes no sense whatsoever. Our original Baolong (that's what the 2.5 Roadsters and early Model S's have - cheapest of the cheap garbage) system went out in our Model S and we drove with them broken for a long time (not 3 years, more like 1) before we gave in and had them upgraded to the new Continental system used in the current models. No battery issues cropped up during the error time.

How could a TPMS kill a traction battery? I could see it maybe trashing a 12V by somehow running when the car is off and consuming extra power due to being in an error state but the main battery? I think that was a BS answer. But Tesla replaced the battery (halfway) so -<shrug>-?

But I'm confused. How could you have driven for 3 years with a bum TPMS? That means you still had warranty coverage when it went out (unless you drive a ton of miles)?

Reactions: Chaserr
It can't do that, TPMS is powered by batteries inside each sensor, not from the car. The car only checks for TPMS data after you start driving, since the wheels can't send data until they're spinning anyway.

Strider is right, TPMS is covered by warranty - mine used to be the old style and was upgraded in warranty to the new one that shows each wheel unique.

I am glad that the TPMS question is finally answered ..... somewhat. My conclusion from reading all the online rhetotics is that it's OK to run my winter set of snow tires and rims without those pesky TPMS sensors. The vehicle's ECU still function and I can drive my Model S down the highway with the (4) annoying warning icons display on the dash board.

As for the post regarding the lack of the sensors somehow damaged the pack, this is all BS. logically, the Tesla's onboard computer samples the TPMS data periodically and displays the low pressure warnings. It there is no signal from the (4) TPMS sensors, then it would display the warnings. The firmware continues to samples data with or without these sensors so the lack of the sensors sending signal to the computer has nothing to do with the baterba pack's issue.

Now, if only Tesla would let us know how to turn off these pesky warnings. It's a simple algorithm really. The firmware simply concludes that there is no TPMS sensors after unable to sample the data after a few cycles, log this event in the log file and NOT display the (4) warnings. So simple.

Yes, Federal Law, cannot by bypassed or silenced without hacking the car. We are having huge problems with this on the Roadster Forum. The 2.5 Roadster TPMS is a steaming pile of crap and in some cases (including mine) is unfixable by Tesla. We are cooking up a way to insert signals onto the bus to "give the computer what it wants" and silence the alarms.
US Federal law, can be bypassed by not living in the US, like the person asking the question.

We are cooking up a way to insert signals onto the bus to "give the computer what it wants" and silence the alarms.
Any news on disabling the terrible TPMS system? Any info on the box? Something like a fake TPMS monitoring / receiver box comes to mind as a solution.

I have the original Baolong system on my 2013 Model S. Since TPMS is not required by law in my country (Finland), I'd like rather to disable the terrible system that gives a terrible problem as a solution to a nonexistent problem.

In my country, we are legally obliged to swap between winter and summer tires twice a year, and pressures will be manually checked at least at those intervals. Almost all people will check them more frequently than that though. It never was a safety thing either in the countries where it is required, it's merely an emissions thing to have ICEs pollute less with correctly inflated tires.

The continental system is kind of pricey, but also requires tearing off a lot of the car interior, which seems to get more squeaky and rattly every time something's been serviced, such as the eMMC + SD replacement Tesla did, at separate times with the original request to replace the SD, yet they did the eMMC first separately. The Continental system also requires 8 new sensors, one in each wheel, plus the labor to do it. All for something that'll regardless be unreliable and unnecessary, causing more problems than it solves.

Hi @jammi Sorry, no movement and I have since sold my Roadster for a Model X Plaid.

We did the Continental upgrade on my wife's Previous P85 and it worked fine. It's mostly pulling up the carpet along the driver's side. I don't recall them tearing into the dash.

Hi @jammi Sorry, no movement and I have since sold my Roadster for a Model X Plaid.

We did the Continental upgrade on my wife's Previous P85 and it worked fine. It's mostly pulling up the carpet along the driver's side. I don't recall them tearing into the dash.
Ok, I think I'll still proceed with making the mock-TPMS. I know people who have similar annoying issues of not knowing what the car complains about with the Continental system as well.

I also made a new thread of this issue here, with a solution mostly researched by the Roadster people suffering from the same implementation of the Baolong system.

Last edited: