TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BYTON Founders Exude Confidence At CES

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by TMC Staff, Jan 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TMC Staff

Founders: We’re not going away BYTON’s founders Carsten Breitfeld and Daniel Kirchert certainly didn’t mince words during their presentation at CES 2019 in Mandalay Bay’s Convention center this past Sunday night. In front of about a packed room holding about 800 members of the media, VIPs and other industry guests. The message was clear: “BYTON...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. dennisca

dennisca New Member

Good to have another company with goal of mass producing electric cars. The company has huge backers so money should not be a problem.

Now money itself will not really matter. Microsoft has tons of money and where they are. It is about having the right people and ideas.

I can't see how a large display and up to additional 6 displays will cost only $45K. Also maintenance of these displays might be substantial. I also wonder how many people want to talk to Alexa.

We will have to see what the interest will be and how much reliability and performance will this car deliver.

3. 3PHASE

3PHASE 3PHASE

Are some of the people reporting on these vehicles paid by Byton to be there and report on them? I just want to know if the reporters are independent entities giving us independent news.

4. tommolog

tommolog Member

Hi, I'm the author of the article and have been a longtime member here, and I do appreciate the question. The way trade shows and automobile first-drive events work is manufacturers usually cover the costs of travel for journalists, but never ever pay them anything for being there or writing anything. There's never any "understanding" that the article will be positive, or that they will even publish an article.

I've had my travel to events sponsored by established brands like BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Hyundai, smart, etc, as well as Chinese companies like Byton and Borgward. But i've never once felt compelled to write a positive report, that's just not how it works. Byton probably sponsored travel for about 20 different news outlets for CES because they held one of the biggest automotive press conferences in the show.

Every automotive journalist you see write a first-drive impression, or an Auto Show report was sponsored by an automotive company to be there, the news outlets themselves rarely ever pay for a journalist to be at a show. So the answer to your question is the journalists nearly always have travel expenses covered by the OEM, but they are never, ever actually directly compensated beyond expenses to be there to report.

As for Byton, I've been covering them for over a year now, and I've interviewed pretty much all of their top management, visited their factory in Nanjing, China, their Global headquarters in Shanghai, Munich and Santa Clare, California. In my opinion, Byton is not another Faraday Future or Lucid Air. They have some great people that were top management at BMW, Infinity and other brands, plus top tech talent from Google, Apple and Tesla. They very well funded and have hit every deadline they set so far. I believe they will indeed begin producing and selling their SUV by year's end like they promised last year. Let's see...

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  5. teslasuperfan

teslasuperfan Member

#5 teslasuperfan, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Since you visited them extensively, what kind of IPs do Byton have? Do they design and engineer their own powertrain and drivetrain in house?

Also, the company name is Lucid Motors not Lucid Air. Lucid Air is the sedan. Have you visited them? What makes you think they are like Faraday Future? Are you aware they just receive > $ 1 billion from PIF, one of the largest sovereign wealth fund in the world?

6. tommolog

tommolog Member

They have partnered with Bosch for the powertrain. I asked them about that and they told me they thought it would best for them to focus on developing proprietary tech like the UI / UX, and leave the powertrain to an established, proven manufacturer like Bosch who works with a variety of other OEMs.

I have talked with Lucid Motors (thanks for the correction), but admittedly not recently. Yes, I did read about the potential investment from PIF. I do wish them well - the more the merrier. However, they have had a lot of setbacks. I remember in 2016 when they promised they would begin construction on the $700 million manufacturing plant and then it never materialized.

BYTON on the other hand said they were going to build the plant exactly 1 year ago at CES 2018, and it's about 50% complete already, and they've already made over 100 Alpha prototypes of the production car there. BYTON is actually doing everything like they've said they would, and are on the schedule they originally laid out. That's why I have faith in what they're doing. I wish the best for Lucid - and Faraday actually, but they both have had significant delays to date.

• Helpful x 1
  7. hill

hill Active Member

You know who else exudes confidence? Carlos Ghosn. Just sayin' .....

8. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

Con-men tend to exude confidence, so much so that it's in the name.